Should I keep my L4?

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a Surefire L4 for a few months now, and I'm thinking about selling it. It's a great flashlight, but it doesn't quite fit the right niche for me. The L4 is a little too large for EDC, and it doesn't really have a throw commensurate with its brightness. Since I already consider the L4 to be on the large side, I wouldn't mind replacing it with a better-throwing L5. (Yes, I know that those are hard to find right now.) The new Arc4+ looks very tempting, too.

What do you guys think?

paulr

Flashaholic
You could consider putting an E1e or Vital Gear 1x123 battery tail on the KL4 head. You lose some brightness, but the light gets a lot smaller.

leng

Newly Enlightened
Asdalton,

By your post your saying the L4 is too large for EDC, but at the same time you want to buy an L5 and use that for EDC? Or are you saying that since the L4 is too big for ya you might as well carry an L5 for the throw?

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I already consider the L4 to be too big for EDC, so the greater size of the L5 isn't a problem for me. I already have an Arc LSH-P that I like for EDC anyway.

woodsman

Newly Enlightened
I can't help you in your choice, however if you decide to get an L5 I think Tactical warehouse still has a couple left in stock right now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I won't try to talk you out of selling the L4. I do agree it's too large for EDC. Based on what you've described, I'd suggest selling your L4 and putting that towards the Arc4.

leng

Newly Enlightened
The L5 is nice.. much better throw vs the L4.. I carry the L5 in a jacket pocket.. it's a nice EDC if size isn't important. Good luck.

Geode

Enlightened
asdalton,

Hmm. Sounds like the L4 doesn't fit into your portfolio. I also EDC an Arc LS for 95% of my needs, and my walking light is too big for any pocket.

If I had an L4, I would probably sell it and put the money towards the Arc4.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry an LSH-P as my largest personal EDC (Arc4 on order /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif) and I own the L4 and L5. The L5 goes with me about everywhere in my courierbag and really comes in handy for bright light, but I like to take the L4 on weekend trips and such cause it doesn't take up as much room in my bag. I think most lights have their niche and like any tools, certain ones fill certain applications better. I try to pick small, single cell, medium throw with a decent corona, 1W luxeon lights for personal carry as they are still quite bright and offer good runtimes and the most general purpose beam pattern for most immediate applications. Can't wait for Arc4 and variable brightness settings.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mahasamatman

Newly Enlightened
Try the L4 head on a Surefire e1e body - generates an amazing amount of light for the size, and not too big as an EDC. If you have the money, the Arc 4+ is a great EDC.

grnamin

Enlightened
When I got an L5, I had the KL4 head on my L4 modded by McGizmo with a TWAK Luxeon III, BB600 and put I it on an E1e. It runs very nicely and brightly on just 1x123. My wife and I take turns EDC'ing it.
Reference: my KL4 got TWAK'ed

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
No you shouldn't keep it. You should sell it to me. For say forty bucks or so! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll go $50 for the worthless thing, just because I feel sorry for you.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now I am pretty sure that I'll get the Arc4. However, I think that I'll wait a couple of months to see if Peter makes any early revisions to the initial design. In the meantime, everyone should keep an eye out for my Surefire L4 on the Auction Notices forum. Look for my Eternalight Elite X-Ray to appear there, too, since that light will be redundant once I have the Arc4.