Anyone know about weapon lights (M952v)

aleksfoxtrot

Newly Enlightened
I have a Surefire M952v mounted on my AR. I've had it for 3 or 4 years I guess. Tonight I was doing a systems checked and noticed the light would flicker when I activated the switch. Flashlight works fine. I've never actually wore out a Surefire product before. When I wiggle the plug is when it flickers most. Do you think this is most likely the switch, or the tail cap assembly? It's a 62 dollar gamble so I wanted to ask and get y'alls opinion before making it. So if any of you have ran into the same problem or have a way of trouble shooting before purchase I'd be obliged.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a Surefire, so there is no gamble. It's covered by their warranty. If you call them, they will take care of it. Don't waste your time with other forms of communication.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am thinking you may want to try cleaning the contacts well. Could have some corrosion or debris that needs to be removed.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Surefire M952v mounted on my AR. I've had it for 3 or 4 years I guess. Tonight I was doing a systems checked and noticed the light would flicker when I activated the switch. Flashlight works fine. I've never actually wore out a Surefire product before. When I wiggle the plug is when it flickers most. Do you think this is most likely the switch, or the tail cap assembly? It's a 62 dollar gamble so I wanted to ask and get y'alls opinion before making it. So if any of you have ran into the same problem or have a way of trouble shooting before purchase I'd be obliged.

So you have the M952V-TN led/IR light? Remove the tape switch and clean the contact, then apply a small amount of grease on the bayonet plug, then plug it into the light. Does it still flicker? If the light works fine without the tape switch, I'd say a faulty switch. Surefire will replace the tape switch.

I've got a couple of these lights. Other than being dropped on concrete, the lights are built very tough. The switch can be a pain in the butt to remove from the light, which may have been the cause for the fault you're seeing. The o-ring can dry out making the bayonet removal difficult.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I had a clicky arrive DOA. I tugged on the spring and it worked...most of the time.
Tugged on the spring until it came off, then stretched it a little more, put it back, and it works 100% now.

So if the cleaning etc tips don't fix it, and stretching the spring doesn't definitely get sure fire to replace it.

aleksfoxtrot

Newly Enlightened
So you have the M952V-TN led/IR light? Remove the tape switch and clean the contact, then apply a small amount of grease on the bayonet plug, then plug it into the light. Does it still flicker? If the light works fine without the tape switch, I'd say a faulty switch. Surefire will replace the tape switch.

I've got a couple of these lights. Other than being dropped on concrete, the lights are built very tough. The switch can be a pain in the butt to remove from the light, which may have been the cause for the fault you're seeing. The o-ring can dry out making the bayonet removal difficult.

Yes it's a tan IR/white
Thanks, I'll get some dielectric grease tomorrow and try. It's interesting you say, "removal difficult" I've read that in many forums since I bought the light. Mine has always been moderately easy to come out. Maybe it was too lose to begin with? So, there is the contact that is clearly visible and there is one down in the plug and one in the tail cap, how do I get to the harder connections?

Last edited:

aleksfoxtrot

Newly Enlightened
I had a clicky arrive DOA. I tugged on the spring and it worked...most of the time.
Tugged on the spring until it came off, then stretched it a little more, put it back, and it works 100% now.

So if the cleaning etc tips don't fix it, and stretching the spring doesn't definitely get sure fire to replace it.

The light works fine, so I don't think it's the spring in the light.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bayonet jack is on the outside of the tailcap body, and is where you insert the tape switch's bayonet plug. It should be easier to grease the male plug than the female jack, but the result is the same.