123 Lithium Light - Please!

jgeesen

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone make a 123 lithium LED light yet?
These are the same batteries the Sure Fire and Scorpion flashlights use. They are a 3volt battery. I would love to see a 1 to 7 LED light that uses one or two of these batteries. My fantasy is a compact 7 LED head which could be rotated to select how many LEDs light up with a tailcap switch (like the Scorpion or Sure Fire). Would it be more efficient to dim (rheostat/potentiometer?) all 7 LEDs or have fewer LEDs turned on to conserve battery life when less light is needed? I'd buy the SF E1 if it had a good LED lamp option.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think so. But that's a pretty good idea. Since 123's have roughly the same capacity as AA's I think anything more than 6 LED's is pushing it. There's a headlamp out there with 24 LED's and on 3v Lithium D cell.

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

jgeesen

Newly Enlightened
Same capacity? I don't see the benefit using these batteries if they don't have much greater capacity. There is a slight weight and size savings, but nothing compared to the price differance. Are you comparing lithium AAs to the 123?

Brock

Flashaholic
I would love a 2 123 light so I could put my older 123's from my surefires on them. I really want someone to just build a P60 replacement LED lamp module. You should be able to get at least 4, if not 7 LED's in there.

Brock

BKO

Newly Enlightened
Brock,remove any 6V Photon LED,clip the lead`s..note the polarity..and throw It in a Scorpion..Been using a narrow beam white 5600 mcd Nichia in mine for almost a year now..on dead 123a`s...no B.S..nearly dead In a SF E-1..My wife use`s it nightly..2 year old abuse`s it daily..still go`n strong..
Not as bright as a Photon,..but If you use a light that runs 123a`s,this option is great.
The internal resistance of the 123a`s is far less than the coin cell`s...So make sure the 123`s are pretty much "dead",I`d give some V spec`s but they seem to varey quite a bit from LED to LED..Had a Super green Photon (modified,six volt coin cell`s)die at about two hour`s use..
I "sacrificed" my Scorpion because of several failed switch`s..take one apart..nothing more than a over sized "ball-point pen switch..Excuse the rant...wrong forum!?....Bill