3-led Batonlight has arrived

hmmwv

Newly Enlightened
Just a note - I've had my batonlight on backorder through brightguy (never again will I deal with botach!) - their first shipment arrived today so they have stock for immediate orders!

3N cells, 3LEDs, 5.5" long - sounds like a very nice, bright LED light
www.brightguy.com/detail.html?&sku=STR64001

Will let you know more after I get it

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just ordered one
grin.gif
Thanks for notifying us.

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the heads up HMMWV. I talked to them on the phone. They said it had three of the same LED`s used in the streamlight stylus. That should be bright! But I have a question... well two...how much are the batteries and can it run on two AA batts. at a lower level? I think I want one. Please... someone, talk me out of it. Fast! My credit card is already starting to smoke.

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by KenB on 01-17-2001 at 11:03 AM</font>

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are "n" batts.lithium? If so is their voltage 1.5 or 1.7? If 1.7 and if they have no resister they might be really bright. Are the bulbs used in the stylus the same as those used in the photon? I read were Craig and Brock have said the stylus is the brightest single led light out there.

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by KenB on 01-17-2001 at 03:58 PM</font>

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious as to whether the LED's can be replaced. I would like something like this, but with the option of Tuquoise LED's like the photon II has. I think one in white, and one in turquoise would make a nice set. Also, I would like to know how water resistant the thing really is. The Streamlight website is vague about this.

hmmwv

Newly Enlightened
I've never seen an "N" lithium, but it's certainly possible - all I've had are alkaline - decent capacity too since they are reasonably large. Both energizer and duracell make N alkalines.

The batonlight uses the same LEDs as the stylus - except 3 of them - so it's roughly 3 times as bright. I have a stylus in white - it's certainly usable, but the AAAA (yes - that's 4-A) batteries are not as easy to come by as the N's - which lead streamlight to package 6 of them and sell it as a streamlight product. Fortunately, the local Fry's electronics carrys both AAAA and N batteries on the shelf - and cheap too!

After thinking about it - the last AAAA flashlight I owned was from disneyland in the 1970's - probably when i contracted the disease.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
They claim 42000 mcp. Does anyone have any idea how that would compare to... say a Lightwave.

jbechto

Newly Enlightened
The best place for "n" cells and AAAA's is Radio Shack. I get the 2-pack of AAAA's for 1.99 and the 2-pack of "n" cells for $1.79. If you use their (free) battery card and buy 3 packs at a time, you get a 30% discount off of that! And every third battery purchase they throw in a free 2-pack of AA, C, or D's. Since I include the 3 "n" cells in my lights that take them, I buy nearly every day.

hmmwv

Newly Enlightened
N-cells are very common - I've used them for years in my hp-41C calculator. You can get them in the stores for reasonable prices because they are used in so many devices. I seem to recall getting a 2-pack at price club for around $1.99
www.cheapbatteries.com has them for $1 ea in qty. 6 or $0.80 ea. in larger quantities.

I do no think a light intended for 3-N will hold anything else and still work. When you consider the cost to fill it is ~$3 and that lasts ~12 hours - it's about 25 cents per hour to run - can't beat that - plus the N cells are very convenient to keep with you as they take up less room than AAs

The white LEDs need 4.5V to run - basically streamlight has made it more compact by switching to a shorter battery - ccrane uses 3 normal batteries, but has a much longer light as a result - too long for a keychain!

Mike

Newly Enlightened
One source for AAAA batteries that most people may not realize is 9V batteries. There are 6 AAAA batteries in there. Find a cheap source of 9V batteries (like Costco) and you have some cheap AAAA's.

I converted one of my single AA flashlights to a 3 AAAA 3 LED light.

hmmwv

Newly Enlightened
Just re: 9V lithium - I believe they are using the 3V lithium cells inside (3 ea.) - which helps contribute to the high power output. All of my 9V lithiums are in use and haven't neared their end of life - but when they do I'll open one up and see what is inside.

Brock

Flashaholic
Ted, I can't say what the Green Stylus will pull since I have never seen one.

I wouldn't worry about getting AAAA batteries. I just bought a bunch on line at once then keep them in the flashlight drawer. It is cheaper to buy them in bulk (shipping), and since I gave a bunch out as x-mas gifts I am sure I will get requests for new batteries. I haven't run mine dead yet (neither has my wife) and I use mine a lot. The only one that needed new batteries was a Doc that left his on all weekend in his car.

Brock

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
We need a review as soon as one of you get your Batonlite. Please???
smile.gif
Thanks.

Blades

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somthing does not seem right with the claim of 42000 mcd. The nichia`s are 5600 mcd...right? But 42000 divided by three is 14000 per led...is that possible? If the Expedition has 7 - 5600 = 39200 then the baton light would be brighter??? Hmmm...I must be confused.

hmmwv

Newly Enlightened
Nothing wrong with your math - nichia *are* 5600 mcd at 20 mA - but i've yet to see an led light that actually runs 20 mA - the stylus runs 56 mA on a 1/2 charged set of AAAA's - so they are delivering considerably more than 5600 mcd. When I get my batonlight, I'll put an ampmeter on it and see what it really is running.

hmmwv

Newly Enlightened
The reality is that yes - they sacrificed some lifetime - they are not going to last 100,000 hours - probably more like 10,000 - so few people will run the light that long that the warantee costs from replacing the few that do is insignificant compared to making a brighter light.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Mike,
really??? are they cylindrically shaped like the other aaaa batteries? or are they flat and rectangular, would like to know before I scrub-up for surgery..is it the same story with lithium 9 volt batteries -- have I at long last found aaaa lithium batteries I can put in a Stylus?? -- that would be very bright at first, unless I styled a dummy cell...about the twelve hour estimated burn time of the Baton; at 50ma draw per led, figuring the voltage lowers with time to 1.2 volts per cell and 20-30ma draw -- do N cells have that much capacity, to burn for twelve hours???
...and one more question; (Brock?) -- what is the ma draw of the green led Stylus (at first, with fresh batts) --(I am hoping it is less than the white, then we'd have a real long-lasting bright light)!

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, 9V's have AAAA batteries in them. There's a thread on BF about that. One of the issues, iirc, was some brands have slightly smaller AAAA batteries in their 9V. I don't know if it's really an issue though. And you can get 9V lithium batteries at Sears. They're about $7-$8 though.

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb