Upgrading Quark to XP-L HI?

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see why not, except you may a focusing issue. If i had one, I'd risk it. You might like XP-L HI V3 neutral white.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
quarks have heavily textured reflectors so if you're expecting awesome throw you'll be disappointed

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux and lumens wouldn't be a big increase, but it would be an improvement on your older Quark.

holygeez03

Enlightened
Depending on your intended usage, and if it can be done physically and electrically... you may want to consider a neutral XP-G2 (potentially de-domed) for a tighter beam profile.

I have a Quark Neutral Tactical that I still use when I want a momentary switch, and I'm always pleasantly surprised at the intensity of the beam since it has the XP-G.

holygeez03

Enlightened
Unless you really like the size/form-factor/UI of the Quark and can't find a valid replacement... it would only be worth $40 - $50 in my opinion if you can end up with a significantly more useful beam (output and throw) and a premium temp/tint/CRI.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Worth $40 - $50?

That's a matter of personal preference. I would consider $40 - $50 too much.

You can buy cheaper XP-L HI V2 1A on a copper board from International Outdoor. I think it's around $9 shipped? That will save you a few $

Last edited:

AussieRanga

Enlightened
I don't know the specifics of the Quark's internals but it wont be a simple emitter swap. The footprint of the two are different so you would need to install it on a new board at the very least.

Still, I'm not saying it is impossible or even hard, may be a breeze to swap..

holygeez03

Enlightened
The OP's Quark is currently an XM-L emitter... and I thought the XP-L was supposed to be the same footprint... no?

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
XP-L is an "XP" so same footprint as XP-G2

then you'd also need a different plastic centering device for XPL HI

not worth it to mod

Budda

Enlightened
I do not agree with the overall direction of the comments above.
I own 3 quarks 123^2, the first was one of the first batch with XP-E CW bought years ago, one is the XP-G HICRI limited edition, and the last one, which came in the mailbox yesterday, is a Turbo 123^2.
They are not perfect, they show the sings of time and use, but I keep using them, among many other lights.
The first one has been opened and modded, with a XP-E2 3000K, about 2 years ago. I guess that the difference in output between the XP-E and XP-E2 is not so relevant (given the decreased efficiency of a 3000K binning), but the quality of the light for my taste has improved a lot.
The HICRI edition has been opened and I'm waiting for a XP-G2 HICRI that will have enough efficiency difference to make me want to swap the emitter to improve the output.

The Turbo with XP-G has been opened 1 hour ago. I will take the advantage of the big reflector to try some XP-L Hi, or go back to XP-G2 or XP-E2.

So, if you ask me, it's very worth.
But it depends: changing the led won't make a difference in UI, level or runtime.
If you find that you use happily this light, yes, the led swap will bring you relevant difference.
I am not a fan of XM-L leds, too wide beam, I'll move to XP-G2 if I wanted to gain more throw, but keeping a big output and spill; XP-E2 if all you want is a closer beam. XP-L Hi will be even more oriented to throw.

Last edited: