ZL H600fd III Advantages

Ace12

Enlightened
What advantages does the H600fd III have over the H600fw MKII? It says better output and more efficient, but the specs contradict that.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
What advantages does the H600fd III have over the H600fw MKII? It says better output and more efficient, but the specs contradict that.

I think it means better then the other "d" models with the Luxeon T emitter(their last Hi CRI emitter). As for advantages over the H600Fw MKII, it uses the XM-L2 easywhite emitter and has significantly higher CRI at 83-85 vs 75 and is closer to a pure white at 5000K vs 4400K. It also has very little tint shift. Their is also a "c" model available at 4000K 83-85 CRI if you prefer a warmer tint.

Here is the spec sheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...rvSVk8HxkkEMBjAPo_s/htmlview?authkey=CNqP6KIC

And, here is some additional tests of the H600Fd MKIII courtesy of maukka. Scroll down to his posts.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...bralight-H600F-c-d-mk3-85cri-and-XM-L-2/page8

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...bralight-H600F-c-d-mk3-85cri-and-XM-L-2/page7

Last edited:

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
The H600fd Mklll can run between 2.7 volts to 6.0 volts and can handle batteries up to 69mm, while the SC600 Mkll has voltage range between 2.7 volts to 4.2 volts and has the same 69mm battery maximum battery length. Also the H600fd Mklll has a frosted lens.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The H600fd Mklll can run between 2.7 volts to 6.0 volts and can handle batteries up to 69mm, while the SC600 Mkll has voltage range between 2.7 volts to 4.2 volts and has the same 69mm battery maximum battery length. Also the H600fd Mklll has a frosted lens.

Right, good point I forgot about. This allows the possibility of using CR123a's as backups. The H600Fw has a frosted lens as well.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
This allows the possibility of using CR123a's as backups.

ZebraLight does not recommend using CR123A batteries for this or any other model I am aware of.

On its highest mode(s), a ZebraLight will pull more than the 1.5 amps that CR123A batteries are rated to supply. Note that the boost and buck/boost drivers used in ZebraLights draw their highest amperage when the batteries are low, so the problem is worse than what a measurement using fresh CR123A batteries would suggest. The adventurous spirits who are happy to risk their ZebraLights on CR123A are careful to use only medium and low modes. That helps keep current draws below 1.5 amps.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
ZebraLight does not recommend using CR123A batteries for this or any other model I am aware of.

On its highest mode(s), a ZebraLight will pull more than the 1.5 amps that CR123A batteries are rated to supply. Note that the boost and buck/boost drivers used in ZebraLights draw their highest amperage when the batteries are low, so the problem is worse than what a measurement using fresh CR123A batteries would suggest. The adventurous spirits who are happy to risk their ZebraLights on CR123A are careful to use only medium and low modes. That helps keep current draws below 1.5 amps.
You are correct. Only in a dire situation should CR123a batteries be used and not higher than a 'medium' setting.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Correct, using the lower modes would be the safest approach. If one had to use a backup, they would probably be in dire need anyway.

Ace12

Enlightened
Will I notice a huge difference in weight going from the H31? It says it's almost an ounce and a half heavier but that doesn't seem like a lot.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will I notice a huge difference in weight going from the H31? It says it's almost an ounce and a half heavier but that doesn't seem like a lot.

Which model of H31 do you have? What does it weigh with battery and strap? If its the H31, it is only 0.4 ounces heavier(without battery and strap) and the H600Fd MKIII has a top strap to help support the weight(not sure if yours does). I dont find it to be heavy but, I have never owned an H31. I was actually surprised how small and light it was when I got it. Personally, I think the extra weight is worth it for the higher brightness and longer battery life. That's why I went with the H600 over the H32.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, In addition to the weight, you will get a lot more brightness and run time, a floody beam with a more diffused hotspot and brighter spill(perfect for general use imo), a much less cool(more neutral) beam at 5000K vs 6300K(better for outdoors, well everything imo), higher CRI at 83-85 vs 75(which will make colours appear closer to what they should be in natural sunlight), and 11 modes vs 7 on yours.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would also like to point out that this light is the coolest neutral white I have ever owned and is very white(but not cool, measured at 4760K on H1 on maukka's example) so, if you prefer a slightly warmer(more yellow) neutral then I would consider the H600Fc MKIII as well.

Ace12

Enlightened
That actually sounds perfect. I don't like the " yellow" look. But I don't like the "bluish" look either. Sounds like it is the perfect compromise.

Ace12

Enlightened
What is the best battery for the H600fd? Protected? Unprotected? 3400mh?

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me the tint of the H600FD is perhaps the highest color temperature or tint you can get while still remaining on the warm side. It's slightly yellow to me, but very close to white. Definitely no bluish cast to it.

As far as the best battery for it, it doesn't require an unprotected cell, so just get a good quality, cheap battery. There isn't any science to it. All the highest capacity batteries today are between 3400 and 3600mah.

Ace12

Enlightened
Oh, and who has the fastest shipping on the Zebralights? I need it fast.

Last edited:

maukka

Enlightened
Just don't buy the Keeppower 3400/3500 mAh, they are too thick. I'm using an Eagtac 3500 mAh, but unprotected batteries work fine too.

edit: 3400 -> 3500 mAh

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
That actually sounds perfect. I don't like the " yellow" look. But I don't like the "bluish" look either. Sounds like it is the perfect compromise.

It really is I think. I like the tint. I like it better then my 92CRI Nichia 219b so that says a lot. Like others have said, it is a pure white with just an ever so slight yellow hint to it and absolutely no blue.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

It will take either as long as its not longer then 69mm and is not overly thick. Any Panasonic NCR18650B or GA based cell should work great as long as it doesnt have overly thick heat shrink on it. I am running mine on Thrunite 3400mah protected(Panasonic NCR18650B cell) as I live in Canada and Amazon stocks these at a reasonable price. Many other cells will fit fine too.