Real Disaster Situation Lights

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
For those who experienced real disaster like flood, hurricane, ice storm, blackout, etc... Could you guys list what light you used, what light was useless, etc...

What I've read so far:
TSG68: NYC blackout, LSH-P and Arc AAA with extra batteries
TSG68: Hurricane Isabel, L4 was too hot and was useless
QuickBeam: Ice storm, multi-LED long lasting was useful, head lamp was useful

What I'm trying to do is to get the right lights to prepare myself for emergency situation. Also, if you could list what additional item was important like radio, water, etc... that would be great. Thanks.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a long term power outage I think the Lightwave 4000 is very hard to beat.

For lots of useful survival/emergency info take a look around this website.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the eternalight for this kind of usage. Ive had one running for over 6 days now, on regular Duracells, and its still putting out usable light. I think mutiple 5mm LEDs can't be beat for this sort of application.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most useful thing is a headlamp, hands down. You'll need to cook on your gas stove, look for things, with two hands, etc. Nothing beats a headlamp.

If you have kids, a fluorescent lantern that can light up one room and serve as a comforting home base is very useful. Similarly, lightsticks are very useful both as a fun distraction for the kids, and as a way for me to figure out where they are (although usually I can just follow the crashes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

I really like the tradeoff of a 1W LS as far as brightness versus power, for a power outtage. It runs long enough that I don't mind using it liberally (especially since regulated lights are often just eating "Free" half-eaten SF castaway 123As anyway), and bright enough that I can use it for 99% of tasks I need to do.

Beyond that, very bright lights like the L4, E2e, etc., are comforting but basically just gravy.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
CalgaryGuy;

This is why I have a selection of lights and headlamps. Each 'situation' is different, and may require a diferent light or lights. Different battery types and sizes, plus a wide range of runtimes, makes for a selection that can handle nearly any 'situation'.

Even though we were affected by the 8/14/2003 blackout, it did not bother me, as I wear a headlamp in the house. It annoyed me cause I couldn't watch TV or get on the internet for 5 hours or so.

For most situations, I can easily get by with an Infinity Ultra, Brinkmann Rebel, and my PT Solo with Matrix Module. Add the Eveready 2 LED Folding Lantern and I am all set.

If I need to go outside after significant icing on trees, I mount a headlamp on a construction hardhat (with petzl clips).

What you (or anyone) needs to do, is experiment with doing all sorts of tasks in the house, using different lights (including headlamps), such as cooking, reading, eating, and other things. This will give you a far better idea of what will work for you.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw a nice thread a long time (year or so) ago on a extended power outtage on this forum and a review of lights used.

I would rely on LED's as general lighting source for disaster situations and power goes out.

I would think the CMG Infinity Series and the Arc AAA/AA would be the good ones for around the house navigation.

General illumination IMHO could be a lantern of some sort. I have one of those Energizer 2LED folding lantern style type of lights to hang on the wall to provide soft illumination.

I recommend a headlamp. I have one of the Rayovac ones (2 Red LED's, one White LED (three are 5mm), and one lamp, each has a different setting via rotating dial.) It is very useful just navigating around a dark dorm room /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Or playing a computer game with the lights off and the headlamp turned on so you can see the keyboard when you look down.

Batteries are also a important thing, without batteries..lights won't work.

This is just one thing in a real disaster. A adequate food supply is needed (MRE's, shelf stable food) along with water.

I think I am ready for a long blackout if needed. I have a large # of AA's, AAA's, Cr 123's, CR2016's, and so forth. Ultra G, Arc AAA, PT Impact, and a headlamp for general usage (SL Twin Task 1L might also come in handy.) For a little bit brighter lighting, a PT Tec 40, SL Scorpion, or Sf E2e. For anything brighter a Tigerlight or Maglite 6D for impact purposes.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
What I'm trying to do, is to standerize everything in AA and CR123. AA will run my lower power lights, radio, travel shaver, etc... while I have a few CR123 for higher power lights.

I had my eye on the Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA 7LED with 155 hours of listed power. However, after more research, only 5 hours of usefull light and 150 hours of very dim light.

I'm hoping that the PT Impact XL will give me a longer constant light at a dimmer brightness.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I recall from reading previous posts about this, a headlamp is indispensable. And I agree, I just used mine to change out a light switch as it was dark in that room with the power turned off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But the other thing I remember people wishing they had more of were lanterns. Any kind of area light. We deal with a lot of bright beams around here, but a gentle glow is very useful too!

Maxabeam rules for search and rescue, but if you bugging in to wait it out, you'll need some general illumination. Can't read by a maxabeam, unless you put it a block away and shine it in the window /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
CalgaryGuy said:
What I'm trying to do, is to standerize everything in AA and CR123. AA will run my lower power lights, radio, travel shaver, etc... while I have a few CR123 for higher power lights.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Inova X5 will run for many hours on dead CR123's (ie. after they've been used in your high power lights)

amv

Newly Enlightened
During the blackout in NYC I gave out lights to several of my Neighbors. Most people were not prepared. It was hard to get back my arc aaa but I did let the seniors I gave my maglights to keep them. I got the most use from my headlamp and coleman camp lantern. The other thing that is indispensable is a windup radio. I use the radio shack version...

DaveT

Enlightened
In the blackout in NYC, I used my Arc LSH-S and AAA to get out of the subway station.
Once I got home and settled in for the evening, I really didn't use the flashlights that much, but what I wanted was lanterns...I've since bought a 12-LED lantern by Nuwai, and several of the Coleman Steelbeam fluorescents.

BillM

Newly Enlightened
I will read this as a worst case scenerio. That is a light or group of lights that will work when you need them most. Of course that's when my stuff usually breaks (old habit of getting 2 of everthing that seems to work). Naturally I like the criteria of things that are hard to break. That leaves out incadesent bulbs. Led's can fill in just fine. I look at having a light that works even though it's been dropped or packed or stuffed in a sachel on the way out the door. I have had Eternalights turn themselves on when packed (great lights but the last one you want in an emergency with dead batteries)because of the surface mount switches. I am wild about my Blaster III. Still, pack it wrong and the switch will turn on. It is such a great light though I am working on a cover for the switch. Most lights can be easily deactivated so they cannot turn on by accident. But in an emergency, you usually want instant light. Taking the light apart may not be practical in an emergency. Most lights are not built strong enough for the dropping, banging, flooding and abuse in an emergency. In an emergency (flooding or anything causing an unexpected retreat to safety, I want a light that can go quite a while without spare batteries. I want a light that can light up a room or do a search and recovery operation (in a pinch. I want a light with a lanyard so it's not easily lost. I also want a light for extreme heat and cold.

My number one light for all the above conditions is my Tek-Tite LS1 Expedition (3 D cells). It fits all the above criteria except lanyard (I made one) and extreme cold. The extreme cold is not a major issue here in PA but in Canada you may be able to fit lithium batteries in it. It's not cheap but it's a rock and quite compact for 3 D cells. The weakest link to this light may be the Lexan (pretty tough stuff though) head so I picked up an extra one for a few bucks. I also have their Trek 4 in Aluminum for the overall same reasons (and it does have a lanyard). I agree with everybody on the LSH's, Arc AA's and AAA's, Infinities and headband lights. Like most of you, I have lots of lights and batteries. Much of my stock of batteries are housed in portable waterproof containers. Still, I believe it is important to know exacty what to reach for first and keep at your side. Like I said, worst case.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
DaveT said:
In the blackout in NYC, I used my Arc LSH-S and AAA to get out of the subway station.
Once I got home and settled in for the evening, I really didn't use the flashlights that much, but what I wanted was lanterns...I've since bought a 12-LED lantern by Nuwai, and several of the Coleman Steelbeam fluorescents.

[/ QUOTE ]
After trying many different lanterns including the Nuwai 12 LED I've settled on the Energizer folding fluorescent lantern as the best general purpose home lantern for my needs because of its excellent brightness, burntime, size, energy conservation and versatility. One trick is to open it up to full vertical and top it with an ordinary white or off-white lampshade which transforms it into a warm table lamp. These 4D lanterns have replaced all my 8D units.
660005.jpg

Dave, were you on the platform initially or the train, and would you care to relate the experience in more detail?

Thanks,
Brightnorm

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't think flashlights were essential in the NYC blackout. Useful and fun, yes. Essential, no. A radio was also very useful in keeping up with news reports.

I think you're in reasonable shape with the following:

1) coin cell keychain light or equivalent, carry everywhere. I happened to have a bunch of the $1.00 Countycomm ones in my backpack and gave away about 5 of them, that were highly appreciated.

2) Decent quality 2D household light and spare batteries. I guess a lithium powered light is worthwhile if you have very cold weather and need to fix stuff outside.

3) Radio and spare batteries, preferably a reasonably big loud radio that multiple people can easily gather around and listen to. (Monster boom box is not needed, I just mean not one of those tiny pocket radios).

4) A few of those big candles in glass jars are worth having around. They're cheap (99 cents at discount stores, $1.49 at the supermarket), burn for 4 days or maybe longer, and the glass jar prevents dripping which makes them somewhat safer than unenclosed candles. Of course, don't leave them burning unattended either way.

Other than that, stuff like food, water, fuel, etc. are more important than flashlights and radios, but are maybe outside the scope of this thread.

DaveT

Enlightened
Brightnorm - glad to share, but it's too much to retype. Briefly, I was in the train, which stopped as it pulled out of an aboveground station, but last car was still touching the platform...but the station and stairs were pitch black.

Here are a couple threads about it:

Blackout on CPF

Blackout on ETS

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Seeing that fluoerscent light is important, is this a good light? I found it at a Canadian Radio Shack store, it's sold for C$25 (US$18 approx).

NexxTech3-in-1.jpg

- LED/Fluorescent/Krypton (can probably be replaced by Xenon)
- 3.5 hours to 80 hours (listed)
- 4 AA

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Local emergency officials and the National Weather Service say to plan on a minimum of 72 hours before services are restored after a natural destaster. You should have three days worth of supplies stored in a secure (your hideout location) place.....water, food, personal hygene, clothes, batteries , first aid stuff, etc. One of those big plastic foot lockers would be nice.

For lights, I go for lights with LONG runtime vs 5w eye burners......Anglelux 1W, Lighwave 3000 or 4000, Eternalights (most mdls), etc. Headlights make a lot sense also.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
4) A few of those big candles in glass jars are worth having around. They're cheap (99 cents at discount stores, $1.49 at the supermarket), burn for 4 days or maybe longer, and the glass jar prevents dripping which makes them somewhat safer than unenclosed candles. Of course, don't leave them burning unattended either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like these candles. BUT I've gotten some from the grocery store that were so horribly cheap that they wouldn't even light for more than a few minutes as the wicks were so horrible they just turned to ash. Which brings up another important thing to keep in mind. Don't just buy something and toss it in the bag and expect it to work. You have to test and try them out and see how they function and if they are going to be worth lugging around with you!

CalgaryGuy: I have one of those lights. I like it a lot. The LED's are bright enough for just about everything and the CCFT is nice and very usable as well.

But when it comes down to it, it's a plastic light and doesn't appear to be as water proof as I'd like. It would be great to have with you, but don't let it be the only light you take with you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (As if anyone here would rely on a SINGLE light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )