High Power Handheld for Self Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candle_Kid

Newly Enlightened
has anyone embarked upon using a powerful handheld laser as a self defense weapon? i have other types of SD items (all legal, some very lethal), but a laser seems like it could be used a decent non-lethal SD item. your thoughts? a laser for me is not something i would buy just to point around for fun, its not really that "fun" to just point it at balloons or leaves, etc.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
has anyone embarked upon using a powerful handheld laser as a self defense weapon? i have other types of SD items (all legal, some very lethal), but a laser seems like it could be used a decent non-lethal SD item. your thoughts? a laser for me is not something i would buy just to point around for fun, its not really that "fun" to just point it at balloons or leaves, etc.

Unnecessary comment removed.... Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Your goal should be disorientation, not permanent eye damage or blindness. A laser has no secondary self defense benefits, if you read up on self defense, spacial awareness is one of the most important tactics, in which light is needed to illuminate dark corners or potential hiding places for a surprise attacker. A laser does you zero good in this regard, while a small light with strong peak beam intensity (and therefore throw) with a wide spill to see could easily disorient someone for a handful of seconds, to give you an advantage. (Nitecore MH20GT or similar) Pocketable 365 meter throw - 33,000 cD with useful spill.

But your main purpose for carrying should not be purely self defense, or you're missing the beauty of an EDC flashlight with bonus capabilities.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Let's not talk about using a laser as a weapon per se. Used on a firearm it is a sight, enabling target acquisition.

Bill

Candle_Kid

Newly Enlightened
well, my 1911-A1 is very lethal and i do not need or want a laser hanging on my 1911, it just doesnt work well in my tight IWB, iron sights are good for ~20yds, etc, but if i could burn someone to cause a little pain from say 20ft away, that would help me from reaching for my 1911, etc. an alternative could be to take a 1/8" dia beam and collimate that into say a 1"dia beam on strobe mode, that could potentially disorient a bad guy.

and i did really mean as a weapon, just like pepper spray or stun gun. i see laser being a good item of choice as a non-lethal SD item that can be used from a distance like my lethal 1911, but is unlike the close-quarters use of pepper spray or stun gun, etc.

if we cant talk about such here, then so be it, i'll move to another forum on the topic, just wanted to know if anyone has carried a small laser as a SD item, etc.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
CPF does not curry to the use of illumination tools as weapons. Would be good if you stuck around and enjoyed the information here on CPF re lighting of all kinds. :)

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.