Angryfox - Playfox E6 Review

firelord777

Enlightened
---For submission into Review Forum---

Hey guys,

A new brand of flashlights has been slowly making its way into the competitive flashlight market. Angryfox, though a rather unique name, also has some playful friend. Literally. The name of the flashlight is Playfox E6.
This particular Playfox was really designed towards tackling a very wide range of applications and made to be an incredibly versatile lighting gear. While some flashlights on the market may have add-on color filters and diffusers, this flashlight was made to be the jack-of-all trades. It is a flashlight. It is a map reader. It is a mid-night bathroom flashlight. It is a bicycle light. It is your nightly book reader. It is a headlamp. it is a hands-free light. – Like I mentioned, it is quite a package.:naughty:

The Playfox E6 is basically an EDC-type light with some heavy capabilities. Before we venture on further, let's go over some of the basic specs.

The E6 has a max output of 630 lumens, its lowest output is 1 lumen for those midnight bathroom trips. Dubbed moonlight mode as it is commonly called these days, the 1 lumen mode is hidden from the normal mode cycle.
The E6 has 3 main modes, 15 lumens, 90 lumens, and 630 lumens. Both CR123 and its rechargeable counterpart can be used.
Strobe can be activated by turning on the light twice in a quick succession. Due to the switch being a reverse clicky, this basically means you have to press the power button a total of 4 times. Great for preventing any accidental strobe which can be annoying.
Here is the Playfox E6:
NtHPajN.jpg

p8YNH0M.jpg

HmkHUaX.jpg

3GOYCrA.jpg

First Impressions and Construction
The E6 is a fairly compact flashlight, it is practically built around the CR123 battery. It is shorter than even the width of my palm. Very lightweight, and has a multi-function clip. For instance when camping you can clip it onto a branch so the light points down onto the area. Or when tinkering on your car you can attach it to almost any surface since it has a magnetic tail cap. :cool:
nXxACbo.jpg

WRRc0KV.jpg

pB2jRWG.jpg

57KML6h.jpg

The power button is made of soft silicon, and on the other side it has the attachment point which I will talk about later on. Lanyard holes are also on tailcap, and the flashlight is made out of the standard HAIII anodized aluminium. The bezel is flat, shiny stainless steel, as well as the power button border. There really isn't much knurling, but at the same time it is very light. Uses an XM-L2 emitter paired with a smooth reflector.
As you can see, it is very similar to the Olight S10:
P6rfSKu.jpg

hVIVRi8.jpg

bcaLnPz.jpg

Accessories
There is a buckle that comes with the E6. Now, before you let excitement get the better of you, make sure that you install the black o-rings in the little bag that was also provided with the light. The clear o-ring is for the flashlight, keep that for future use. If you forget to follow this step you could potentially scratch your new toy. The o-rings serve 2 purposes, one, provide a friction force so you can aim the flashlight while on the platform without it swinging loosely. The second is to prevent any scratching to the sleek body. After o-rings are in place just mount the light onto the attachment point and you're ready to roll.
eqDZlWN.jpg

2iW7cvh.jpg

AGH5lnF.jpg

bCu9w3e.jpg

QWImQy5.jpg

Once you have that on, there are a couple things you can do. Such as mounting it on the arm band like below. Seriously walking around with hands-free lighting is so cool, feels like you're some sort of high-tech robot, or an astronaut exploring unexplored terrain on a mystery planet. You can also use it as a headlamp. And with the included bike mount, you can take it as a bike light. I do have dedicated bike lights, however I find I enjoy taking the Playfox over them.
948DSUd.jpg

YBXUBb1.jpg

There are a few reasons. First, many of the hard group training rides are in the late afternoon, so when I'm riding back home spent after a fast, aggressive, combat-on-bikes training session, I really only need a light for other drivers to see me while on the road after the sun has set. So the Playfox for me now is my go-to light for cycling. It is super light, and as we all know us road cyclists are weigh-weenies (we'd rather save a few grams than take anything that is not 100% needed), so even though my dedicated bike lights are relatively light, for road cycling standards they are bulky and heavy (yes lol I'm not joking we really are that picky over weight). Its very bright, I can keep it on a lower output and use it for more days without charging yet remain seen, and it doesn't obstruct my Garmin. So Instead of removing bike lights every time I train during the day, I keep the E6 on duty. I don't bother removing it like my other bike lights. No ugly cables to disrupt airflow, no big aero footprint to mess with you psychologically ("hey, I feel 0.0001 MPH slower when doing training intervals at 300 watts, it must be the bike light!!!"), and a peace of mind that you always are equipped for riding after sunset.:rock:
ez3y64U.jpg

MFiR98H.jpg

There are some color filters and diffusers also provided for your enjoyment. You have your basic green, blue, red filters, but the neat thing is that you can combine them as well. You can even combine filters AND use the diffuser, I thought that pretty neat. Check it out for yourself!:thumbsup:
rUpaGfc.jpg

D9zGm8U.jpg

v0ViTGq.jpg

qeTrT8s.jpg

NqpFEvu.jpg

ure9u5H.jpg

L7VMNHt.jpg

IS6P1Ei.jpg

Mq6Ygnz.jpg

aEW2M5S.jpg

Kf72Akl.jpg

I0Fr8ZE.jpg

Comparison
As mentioned, the E6 is similar to the Olight S10 and Manker T01, which is an AA powered light. Out of all three, the E6 remains the smallest.
dH8H6my.jpg

Although the T01 has the largest and deepest reflector out of all of them, the E6 has a slightly larger, smooth reflector than of that of the Olight S10. This should enable it to throw the beam a little tighter and thus father than the Olight. Moonlight mode is a hair lower on the Olight, but its practically the same.
8L7Y386.jpg

LH7DUMf.jpg

AKuMfJ8.jpg

In order from Playfox E6, Olight S10, and lastly Manker T01
mPz9DWk.jpg

tbwYOJf.jpg

m1mxxKD.jpg

oec2svW.jpg

6LZFKjW.jpg

M44JVr5.jpg

Outdoor Beamshots
These are some real life outdoor beamshots, as expected by the E6's smooth and slightly bigger reflector it has a somewhat tighter hotspot compared to the Olight S10. Both of them are great, have smooth beams and are pretty good all-rounders.
Control
JYqczYD.jpg

Playfox E6
SX9yev3.jpg

Olight S10
EO8C8kB.jpg

Manker T01
mUw9m6h.jpg

Control
ETejJYn.jpg

Playfox E6
S46Iam2.jpg

Olight S10
iSm1cy8.jpg

Manker T01
AzWtylt.jpg

Conclusion
The Playfox E6 is a powerful little offering from the practically new Angryfox company. The E6 does bear a couple similarities between the Olight S10, such as similar output modes, UI, size, performance, and even the tail cap magnet. However when it comes to the E6's inherently more dynamic design, it does have a slight edge in that regard. The clip is one of the most obvious features built into the light, as we covered the clip has an additional reverse clip towards the end.

For EDC purposes, this is fantastic. Like many lights in its class such as the S10 as we saw here, it is very light, simple to use, and capitalizes on the "fun" of having and using a flashlight. As an aviation mechanic technician student, I have already been using the E6 heavily, from magnetically placing the light for hands free area illumination with the diffuser, to impressing my friends and co workers (they already know "hey guys check this out!" = get ready to be blown away by a new flashlight), to playing around in my backyard with diffusers, and seeing a lot of time on my bike traveling with me around the backroads as the group hammers it down the road at 30+ MPH. :xyxgun:

My sample has a pure, cool white tint, no ugly green or yellow tints here. I like the fact that although its beam pattern is well suited for general area illumination, it can still throw nicely for its size. Having rechargeable batteries is nice, sometimes we get CR123 primaries for work lights at some hangers. Its simply a fun light. I think the light is good how it is, everything is pretty much spot on, good LED tint, solid construction, well spaced modes, simple UI, fun accessories, and my friends were impressed so I guess it passes that test.:twothumbs

Thanks for reading guys let me know if you have any questions or requests, thanks!
-Firelord777
---Thanks to Angryfox for providing E6 for review---

Last edited:

wjv

Enlightened
Other than the colored filters (which are nice) its specs look very similar to the Olight S1. .

firelord777

Enlightened
Yes you both share my exact same sentiments. Radiopej - yes sir mode switching is identical to the Olight

DMS1970

Enlightened
I had some interest in these lights, as I love my olights and they seem similar or affiliated. I have seen brochures for these lights that mention Olight on every page, and copy their warranty info word for word. In the manufacturers directory on this site, Olight states that "We are not affiliated with that company in any way. We manufacture our own lights, so any similarities to other companies will not come from our end" Seems to me this a blatant rip off of Olight, with S1, S2 and S15 models copied. They advertise a few more lumens, and their lights have reflectors as apposed to optics. The belt clip on the S1 copy seems pretty cool, but not so much if they are so blatantly copying Olight....

Excellent review though!

cmd

Newly Enlightened
Olight knock off with some filters and a novel attachment - no thanks.

Nice detailed review though, thank you for putting the time and effort into it.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends what the the price is.

Yeah. Also just because it looks similar doesn't mean it's worse. It might actually be better.

From the review this light is smaller than the Olight while having a larger reflector. It also looks like it has better heatsinking (at least it has heatsink fins).