Looking to Upgrade My Rifle Light

DonK

Enlightened
OK, my AR has a Fenix TK10 on board - about 200 L I think. It has been a reliable and rugged companion for quite a few years. I need to upgrade to 600 L or better.

I am familiar (and comfortable) with Fenix, Olight, Sunwayman - all of which I have owned for several years.

I'd like to have a pressure switch that has a straight cable (no clumsy coils)

Fenix do only coiled pressure switches, Sunwayman don't seem to do any. Not sure about Olight. Armytek do a really nice pressure switch but I just don't have confidence in the reliability of their products.

I see lots of brands with which I am unfamiliar (Nitecore, Eagletac, Jetbeam, etc, etc)

Given that I may need to fight off zombies I want rugged reliability and downstream parts availability (stable manufacturer).

I could even live without the pressure switch if there is an exceptional product out there with a nicely protruding rear clicky.

So, here we go - ideas welcome from all those more into the latest developments that I

nimdabew

Enlightened
I use a note core TK20 on my rifle in an offset 1" light mount. It works, but the strobe/mode change button gets hit on occasion. I am probably going to replace it with something else that has less of a chance of getting bumped accidently. My surefire scouts are good lights, and you can upgrade them with malkoff heads for more output, but you are stuck with CR123/16340 batteries unless you more the bodies out.

I am going to figure out a new light for my rifle with the TK20 in the next couple of weeks. The wife thought the flashlight "phase" was over... little does she know...

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
I use a 6p in a scope ring. Put a malkoff in it and you've got a dead simple reliable light. I don't bother with pressure switches though they do make them. The twisty switch falls in a convenient place for my thumb. I prefer twisty to clicky because it won't stay on unless I specifically want it to. Can't mash it to constant. You only get 325ish. But it ticks the reliability box big time. You can get 600+ lumen drop ins as well. Do your homework for those in terms of reliability.

Last edited:

Warp

Enlightened
What rifle will it be mounted to, and where? Streamlight TLR-1 HL. It doesn't have a "clicky" but it can be easily activated momentary or constant on.

DonK

Enlightened
I have a TLR-1 on my Glock. Great light but kinda fragile to be waving around on a rifle IMO. Was hoping to find something more robust (and with easier battery change) for the rifle. Will use a scope ring to mount this to front of rail under/behind front sight. Prefer under mounted to side/high mount.

6P options sound good (twisty v clicky issues a good point - twisty sounds attractive)

Warp

Enlightened
I have a TLR-1 on my Glock. Great light but kinda fragile to be waving around on a rifle IMO. Was hoping to find something more robust (and with easier battery change) for the rifle. Will use a scope ring to mount this to front of rail under/behind front sight. Prefer under mounted to side/high mount.

6P options sound good (twisty v clicky issues a good point - twisty sounds attractive)

Why do you find a TLR-1 fragile? IME and the experience of others, Streamlight weapon lights are anything but fragile.

I don't think you want twisty. It is not recommended, by pretty much anybody, to have a weapon mounted light (or handheld light used in conjunction with a weapon), to have a light that is constantly on. It just gives your position away continuously and obviously and gives a great target. Momentary is where it's (usually) at.

I have no experience or info on this specific light, but something like this sound about right?

Set it to high only.

http://www.vikingtactics.com/product-p/vtac-str-pt.htm

DonK

Enlightened
Ah yes, by twisty I meant twist for full time actuation but a momentary switch on the rear - some Inova lights were like this, and probably others.

The body of the TLR-1 is robust BUT the switch assembly seems very flimsy. Not broken mine yet but that is probably because I've been super careful with it.

Warp

Enlightened
Ah yes, by twisty I meant twist for full time actuation but a momentary switch on the rear - some Inova lights were like this, and probably others.

The body of the TLR-1 is robust BUT the switch assembly seems very flimsy. Not broken mine yet but that is probably because I've been super careful with it.

Broken TLR-1 switches are not a problem that I have ever seen or heard of.

Repsol600rr

Enlightened

Yes you've got it right. That's how I use mine. It's only a momentary switch unless I very deliberately twist it to make it stay on constantly. If you have a single output drop in then it's only going to come on in whatever mode that is as long as you keep pressure on the switch and will not accidentally be mashed onto constant like can be done with a clicky. The twisty is the stock switch for the surefire 6p. I chose this option because it was relatively inexpensive, high reliabilty (with correct drop in) and with a large parts supply
and high after market support. Battery change is a simple as unscrewing the rear cap or head and popping them out. Emitter change in the future if you decide you need a different output is just as easy. Modularity is a benefit here IMO.

Last edited:

Warp

Enlightened
My perception that the TLR-1 switch assemblies were flimsy may have been justified. Streamlight sell them as replacement parts and reading reviews it seems that some people have had switches fail, even with very little use. See reviews here
http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews...lr-2-weapon-mounted-tactical-flashlights.html

I don't know, only 7 reviews of that part, these are the first two, and at least a couple others don't mention what happened with the first

"The ONLY reason I had to replace the original battery door was that (MANY years ago) I spray painted my light and the rocker switch became a little gummed up. It still worked great for many, many years. I just wanted to buy a new one. Great part for a great light!"

"
While you guys may hate me for it, instead of paying almost 300 dollars for a Streamlight TLR2G Green Laser Sight & Weapon Light, I bought a overseas import imitation for about 20% of that. "

DonK

Enlightened
from Amazon reviews
https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-...e=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&showViewpoints=0
These are all one star reviews

"I went to make entry on a building a few hours ago. I did a check of my weapon right before I went in a discover that my TLR1was deadlines, the back portion (made of plastic) broke."
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"Faulty quality. The battery cap broke off after shooting the gun a couple of times. It was cool while it lasted I guess."
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Was at the range yesterday and while shooting my glock 20 with the light attached, it decided to break. The battery cover just cracked off. Needless to say, the light no longer works." (with pics)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"This light is great brighter than any other I have ever mounted however, after about 500 rounds of .45 ACP the cheap plastic on the battery door broke allowing for the switch to pop off and batteries fall out. For this reason the light basically is an overpriced NC Star, DO NOT BUY if you intend on pushing it through its paces. If you are LE Military or anyone who depends on there defensive equipment to save their life inspect this thing regularly."
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"I had this on a pistol, had a customer holster made for it, and then went to Duracoat it. I placed it on a table and it BLEW APART INTO LITTLE PIECES! What a piece of junk. Ever have a flashlight blow itself apart? Well, the service center I brought it to said it was a common issue."
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"Broke within a week. Toggle will not work for laser only. Illuminates both the light and the laser in both positions."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 star reviews
"I received my streamlight tlr-1 by mail Sunday July 17,2016. I give this 2 stars because of the fast delivery. Had I waited any longer it would be 1 star. The light I received in the mail was a piece of crap. I can't believe I wasted $135.00 on this light. The light doesn't toggle on or off it just stays on. I did my research on weapon lights and thought this was the one to have. Well I'm here to tell you it's not. Do not waste your money on a light that could malfunction when you need it. I'm truly in shock at the poor build quality and will be in contact with streamlight for a full refund. Totally unacceptable I can't believe streamlight has put out a product this cheaply made. HORRIBLE!!"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warp

Enlightened
I click that link and I see 4.8/5 stars with 96% reporting 4 or 5 stars, and I wonder...does that mean it's worse than the surefire x300 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00999CBJ6/?tag=cpf0b6-20

that is 4.7/5 stars and 97% reporting 4 or 5 stars?

I'm really not seeing a noticeable difference between them in reliability and durability.

For the price (considerably higher than stream light's TLR-1 which I own two of) I figured it would surpass the stream light.. I was wrong... The switch which turns the light on is very heavy and gets stuck in the on position.. The light is not as bright as the TLR-1.. I feel for the high price it does not live up to the expectation. I was disappointed and will stick to what works... The stream light TLR-1

I was attracted by the surefire reputation even after having much success with Streamlight. I looked past paying the "premium" price and decided to bite the bullet. It was disappointing with the vague, spongy, and extremely heavy switch operation. This alone made me send the unit back. I shouldn't have steered away from what I know works.

Mine didn't work brand new out of the box. Came with a defective switch. So much for surefire 'quality.' You can get this same unit $45 cheaper elsewhere. Surefire quality control just took a vacation and I'm not impressed. Watched the price here go from $229 to $269 in a week. The reason for that is.....?

DonK

Enlightened
I agree - TLR-1 HL is better than Surefire and a good light overall. I have one, no failures, but that switch could be more robust and positive in operation. I want something super robust for my rifle so I am pretty much decided on the Fenix TK15UE. 1000 lumens, easy mode switch, rear clicky that I can use for momentary or permenant - if I am careful.

I have confidence in Fenix brand, been using them for about 10yrs now and no failures. Very robust.

Unless someone here knows of something better, that is the one for me

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
Fenix are good. I had a tk09 mounted to a fire helmet for close to a year. Lots of abuse getting banged around while training and at some fires. No problems whatsoever. I hope the switch is harder to make go into constant on the tk15ue. The tk09 is very easy to go past momentary on the forward clicky. that's pretty much the only reason I havent mounted mine to something. Otherwise very durable.