Waterproof headlamps?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious what options are out there if I wanted to look for a headlamp to use for swimming, snorkling, canoe/kayak, etc. My current go-to headlamps are a ZL H50-Q5 and a PT EOS-tactical. They are great, all in all, but out dated. Ideally, I'd look for a single cell AA which comes on in low mode (<5 lumens) and is reasonably floody while remaining waterproof enough to intentionally take for a swim or dunk (NO diving).

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen a lot of talk recently, and the price is right. I belwive that is Alex's ipx8 for 1 meter? Is that adequate?

markr6

Flashaholic
I've been swimming down to 3 or 4 feet deep a lot lately with my Zebralight H600w at night. Lots of fun! It's only IPX7, but haven't had any problems after years of use. Their H52 is the AA version with the same IPX rating. I also use it backpacking and kayaking, but never get it wet in those situations.

MattSPL

Enlightened
If say the Armytek headlamps would work. I've a wizard pro and it's been in the washing machine and still works perfectly.

colight

Enlightened
A friend of mine has the Fenix HL23, and he swears by it. It has all the specifications you require, so you can have a look at that one also. It also has IPX-8 rating, so.....check! Floody......check! Single cell AA.........check!

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the widely misunderstood aspects of IP waterproof ratings has to do with switching a light on and off.

ANSI FL 1 compliance does not require that a flashlight survive when switches are operated in wet environments. The idea is that you can drop a light in a puddle or stream, and pick it up. ANSI ratings do not mean you can turn a light on or off under water, and/or change modes.

Dive lights do provide those capabilities.

If you are determined to swim with a headlamp that is not a dive light, I would try one of the Armytek products. I do not own any of them, so I cannot recommend them from personal experience. I have read, however, that they have double O-rings. Without claiming ANSI FL 1 compliance, Armytek often advertises that their lights can withstand much deeper immersions than a typical 2-meter, IPX-8 rating provides.

Last edited:

MattSPL

Enlightened
One of the widely misunderstood aspects of IP waterproof ratings has to do with switching a light on and off.

ANSI FL 1 compliance does not require that a flashlight survive when switches are operated in wet environments. The idea is that you can drop a light in a puddle or stream, and pick it up. ANSI ratings do mean you can turn a light on or off under water, and/or change modes.

Dive lights do provide those capabilities.

If you are determined to swim with a headlamp that is not a dive light, I would try one of the Armytek products. I do not own any of them, so I cannot recommend them from personal experience. I have read, however, that they have double O-rings. Without claiming ANSI FL 1 compliance, Armytek often advertises that their lights can withstand much deeper immersions than a typical 2-meter, IPX-8 rating provides.

yes , I've just read that someone was doing runtime testing on an Armytek wizard Xhp-50 submerged in a swimming pool to aid cooling.

MX421

Enlightened
yes , I've just read that someone was doing runtime testing on an Armytek wizard Xhp-50 submerged in a swimming pool to aid cooling.

That was probably me, i kept getting told that my fluctuation of power in my wizard XHP-50 was due to a battery problem when the XP-L version was fine so I stuck both in the pool where the problem light did fine. That was only in a couple feet of water and the switching was done above water (for the most part). The H602 that i stuck in the water to compare went out on me within a month of that water test. It could have been an unrelated issue of course since it worked fine for that month after, but i got leary of intentionally dunking my zebralights after that. The Armyteks are more water resistant IMO.

I would recommend Armytek lights for their waterproofing though, i have taken the Wizard in the pool quite a bit. I would think the tiara would be the same. I think they both have a 10m water rating. The bigger lights like the Doberman, Predator, Vikings, and Barracuda are rated for 50m! They aren't as portable though.

I have an old Leupold flashlight that is one of my favorite lights because of how waterproof it is.

Last edited: