Fenix E05 vs LD02: specific questions and a problem

cdm-dude

Newly Enlightened
So, it's like this:

I got the E05 a couple of weeks ago. In retrospect, I've made a mistake by not buying the LD02 instead.
Now, I need to determine just how big a mistake it actually was and act accordingly.
On a side note, I didn't buy the LD02 flashlight simply because I didn't know that it existed.
So, after receiving and testing out the E05 I realized that it had a problem and a potentially disastrous design flaw. After some research I stumbled upon the LD02 flashlight and now I'm wondering if I should simply scrap the E05 and replace it with the LD02. So, basically, with your help I want to figure out if the LD02 is actually better for me.

Personally, I've never liked lights with twist-switches but since the intended use was not EDC, I didn't really mind having it on the E05, especially since this little light had so much going for it.
So, the actual intended use is "second/third backup" light. It's supposed be inside my camera bag and unless some real s**** hits the fan, I'm not supposed to even touch it... However, if all my other lights fail and/or get lost, the little E05 must be ready to spring into action after years of zero use. The throw has to be strong enough to light my way in the mountains at night and/or signal for help. High lumen output is a must as well as the ability to conserve battery power in the lower output modes. Water + shock resistance, extremely long shelf life (battery).

The E05, along with a AAA Energizer lithium cell seemed to fit the bill nicely. When I received the flashlight, the first thing I did was test it with a AAA Energizer lithium cell in the High mode (to measure the burn time with this type of batteries)

However, after only a few minutes on "High", the E05 switched to the Mid mode. When I touched it, it was 'almost too hot' to touch/hold/operate. The temperature of the unit was approaching the 'uncomfortable' zone, so I figured that the thermal protection was triggered and that it was the reason for the output being dialed down. I immediately switched the unit back into the High mode. It was good for another 4 or 5 minutes, after which, it switched back to the Mid mode. Again, I immediately switched it back to the High mode. Since I was actually timing the performance , I had to play this game until the battery ran out, which was more than an hour, by the way.

Here are my questions:

• Why was the E05 flashlight unable to maintain its highest output in a room-temperature environment? Bad engineering? Sub par components across the production line? A defective unit?

• Does the LD02 flashlight exhibit similar behavior? Is it able to maintain its highest output, uninterrupted, for as long as the battery allows it?

• Does the E05 draw ANY current from the battery when it's idle? *My unit will have to be stored for years with the battery inside.

• Does the LD02 draw any current from the battery when it's idle?

Those are pretty much all the questions that I have at this point.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Enlightened
So, it's like this:

I got the E05 a couple of weeks ago. In retrospect, I've made a mistake by not buying the LD02 instead.
Now, I need to determine just how big a mistake it actually was and act accordingly.
On a side note, I didn't buy the LD02 flashlight simply because I didn't know that it existed.
So, after receiving and testing out the E05 I realized that it had a problem and a potentially disastrous design flaw. After some research I stumbled upon the LD02 flashlight and now I'm wondering if I should simply scrap the E05 and replace it with the LD02. So, basically, with your help I want to figure out if the LD02 is actually better for me.

Personally, I've never liked lights with twist-switches but since the intended use was not EDC, I didn't really mind having it on the E05, especially since this little light had so much going for it.
So, the actual intended use is "second/third backup" light. It's supposed be inside my camera bag and unless some real s**** hits the fan, I'm not supposed to even touch it... However, if all my other lights fail and/or get lost, the little E05 must be ready to spring into action after years of zero use. The throw has to be strong enough to light my way in the mountains at night and/or signal for help. High lumen output is a must as well as the ability to conserve battery power in the lower output modes. Water + shock resistance, extremely long shelf life (battery).

The E05, along with a AAA Energizer lithium cell seemed to fit the bill nicely. When I received the flashlight, the first thing I did was test it with a AAA Energizer lithium cell in the High mode (to measure the burn time with this type of batteries)

However, after only a few minutes on "High", the E05 switched to the Mid mode. When I touched it, it was 'almost too hot' to touch/hold/operate. The temperature of the unit was approaching the 'uncomfortable' zone, so I figured that the thermal protection was triggered and that it was the reason for the output being dialed down. I immediately switched the unit back into the High mode. It was good for another 4 or 5 minutes, after which, it switched back to the Mid mode. Again, I immediately switched it back to the High mode. Since I was actually timing the performance , I had to play this game until the battery ran out, which was more than an hour, by the way.

Here are my questions:

• Why was the E05 flashlight unable to maintain its highest output in a room-temperature environment? Bad engineering? Sub par components across the production line? A defective unit?

• Does the LD02 flashlight exhibit similar behavior? Is it able to maintain its highest output, uninterrupted, for as long as the battery allows it?

• Does the E05 draw ANY current from the battery when it's idle? *My unit will have to be stored for years with the battery inside.

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with the specifics of that one but it sounds like it has a timed stepdown to keep heat generation in check. If the LD02 has a similar high setting, I'd expect it to do the same. Honestly from the description of your use cases, it sounds like you need something beefier with longer runtime. I wouldn't want to get stuck in the mountains trying to signal anything with a single AAA light.

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
If this is solely a backup light you may want to rethink how many lumens you need versus reliable light for long periods. I'd have to say an E01. Not the brightest but I've had mine since they first came out and have had zero issues. When I need it to come on it does so. And at night surrounded by darkness you might be surprised how far an E01 can be seen.

You might look at Lumintop's offerings as well. Their copper worm has only recently replaced my E01 and that's merely because I wanted to try something else out. On the mid level mode, I have yet to see or feel any signs of overheating. The mid level is bright enough that I just never use high but indeed, the high mode is very very bright for a AAA light. Low is about what you'd get from an E01.

cdm-dude

Newly Enlightened
"Timed stepdown"... That's what I'm suspecting too. Just didn't know what to call it. It doesn't say anything about it in the specs though. Anyway, it is my first AAA unit ever, and up until now I didn't even think that a small flashlight like that could get this crazy-hot. So, keeping the temperature in check is probably a good thing. I would much rather have 'some light' than 'no light'.

Honestly, in the past, I wouldn't even consider a AAA unit because up until not that long ago I was a strictly AA guy. But then I had to purchase a couple of camera remote triggers that use the AAA cells, which means that now there are almost always at least 4 of those in my camera bag, that can double as backups for the E05.

I do a lot of night photography. Heading out to the mountains, at the very least I have 2 main lights with me; the Fenix HL-35 headlamp and my old E21 (which I'm about to upgrade). Often I have a Fenix E12 somewhere on me, plus there's also my phone. Having an easily accessible tiny flashlight like the E05, on constant "standby" is more of a convenience than anything else. Being always right there, in a tiny pocket on the bag's "flap" (or whatever you call it), I can get immediate access to a light source in complete darkness and shine inside the bag if I need to get something out quickly. Like, for example, when I'm not wearing the headlamp, can't be bothered to take the phone out of the deep pocket it's usually in, and I don't want to ruin my night vision with something like the E21. Adding to my arsenal a flashlight like the E05, with its ability to put out just a few lumens, made a lot of sense. Previously I had the E11 serve this very purpose. Although it barely fit into the tiny pocket (because there's other stuff in there too). However, I almost NEVER used it because there was always some other light source. And it is not going to be any different with the E05. So, basically, it's supposed to be just sitting there, in case I ever need it. But it also has to double as an "emergency" flashlight.

Let's suppose that I'm on some mountain, shooting scenics by the moonlight. Suddenly, without any warning, a storm decides to roll up on me. Just like that: the moon is gone, it's pitch black AND it starts to rain.
• Being in a hurry to get off the mountain, I accidentally drop the E21, because it's already wet and slippery. It rolls and falls down into a crevice. One down.
• I reach for the E12 but realize that I left it in my other jacket. Two down.
• Fifteen minutes later, as I'm clinging onto a wet and slippery cliff, trying to make my descent, the HL-35 runs out of power. Right there, on the edge of a slippery cliff I begin fiddling with the unit trying to replace the batteries while getting the polarities right, in the pitch-blackness. The E05 should help me see what I'm doing but at this point I'm too stressed out to remember that I even have it with me. Anyway, not seeing what the hell I'm doing, I drop the battery compartment cover into a puddle of rainwater, manage to find it, try to dry it off. By the time I finally screw on the lid the unit has been exposed to the elements for too long. There's water and mud all over the circuit board. The HL-35 is dead. ... Three down.

An unfortunate and very unlikely scenario. But if something like that DOES happen, what the hell am I supposed to use for light? My phone? That I can't even get wet? With its ridiculous light output?... Not being able to go up or down, I'll end up dying on that ledge from hypothermia, or fall down into the canyon trying to get off the mountain in total darkness and reach the safety of my car.

But wait a minute! I was there taking pictures, wasn't I? So, I've got my photo bag with me! (duh..)... Which means my E05 is in it! Hurray! I'm saved!

Not so fast... It would be a real bummer to find out that for the last 3 years that the E05 was just sitting there "in standby", it's been actually draining the (lithium) battery that was supposed to be good for at least another 15 years, something I've been counting on... and now the battery is dead... Well, it looks like I'm still gonna die in the mountains... Just like the old gypsy woman said...

Even if the E05 doesn't draw ANY current when it's off, I'm not entirely happy with the twist-switch. I can see how the E05 can be turned on by accident while I'm reaching for something else in the tiny pocket. It can happen in daylight, without me noticing. The battery will run out (obviously) and when I'm out there, possibly MONTHS later, stranded in the wilderness, instead of being a life-saver, the dead E05 can act as a trigger that makes me lose my cool, which is never a good thing, especially when you're under distress.

The E05 is a great EDC, something you use as a keychain light but it is far from perfect for what I need it to be.

The LD-02 is probably better for me, EVEN if it has the same annoying "timed stepdown". Now, does it draw ANY current from the battery in the "OFF" mode?

I'd have to say an E01. Not the brightest but I've had mine since they first came out and have had zero issues.

Thank you, but in the mountains, at night, you need to have good reach. I feel like the E21, with its hot spot, is generally enough for me in the High mode. With anything below that - I'm taking chances. I always have to carefully search out a path and get at least some visual confirmation that it will, indeed, take me to the next waypoint. Because, often, going back the way I came is not an option. And I don't want to get stranded on a cold ledge during the night. So, seeing as far ahead as possible in this type of scenario is always a good idea.
Consequentially, I would never even consider a light source that puts out less light than the LD-02 or the E05... Yes, I need it primarily as a 'flood' with only a few lumens but I also need the far reach, if it's the only light that I have working.

And you would be surprised just how close you can't see in the mountains, on a moonless night, with your E01.

Last edited:

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened
It is normal for a AAA with a max mode >50 lumens to get hot in mere minutes on high. That is why almost all will have a timed stepdown, because neither you nor the LED like that heat. If it didn't have the stepdown, it would die much faster with continous use.

The LD02 will also have that same 3min stepdown (mentioned in the manual), as high mode is only meant for brief periods and your battery would run out in less than an hour. Likewise it will also get really hot if you keep bumping it back to high. Although, if you're in the cold nighttime outdoors, it maybe a bit better (tested one of my hand scorchers on a frigid night photography session and it stayed acceptable to hand hold, actually very pleasant on a cold night, but i digress).

I would advise you, whether you stick with the e05 or go for the ld02, bring spare batteries. Running on hi neither will have long runtime (ld02 less due to the higher output) so have some extras to get you of the mountain.

Another great backup option is the fenix e01, if you can live with the moderate output. Runs an entire night on a lithium, has been proven indestructable (you'll perish before the light does) and is so simple nothing can go wrong with it. Only problem is you'll get about 10m distance around you, so don't rely on it to scout the whole path. For that the ld02 would be best, but then only run it a max to see the distance (20m) and use low mode for the rest.

And neither flashlights drain any power when off.

Last edited:

HaileStorm

Enlightened
So, it's like this:

Here are my questions:

Thanks!
Most lights will step down under a specific amount of time. The only ones that don't are the ones that have a thermal sensor (i forgot what its called specifically) such as the Armtek Predator which will dim the output if the light gets too hot.

To answer your other question, no the e05 shouldn't drain your battery (paraditic drain) since it has a mechanical switch rather than an electronic one such as the olight s1 baton. So your light should be good to go when the need arises.

The e05 is mainly a edc light, and if im not mistaken, such lights really need a stepdown timer since they are too small and are therefore more inefficient in dissipating heat.

Your light is fine, dont worry. The e05 is a great little light. Granted, there are better ones out there in terms of runtime and available modes (such as firefly mode) but the e05, imho, is really nice and handy. I have the ss version of it bought a year or so ago and i still love it to this day.

Hope i was able to answer some of your concerns. Cheers, mate!

Edit:
By the way, a twisty is considered by some, if not most, the more reliable type of switch since there are no parts to break. I've had a tail switch before that broke on me (klarus xt-c) and while ive mended it, its become a tailcap twisty light that i wouldnt count on if the need arises.

Last edited:

cdm-dude

Newly Enlightened
I would advise you, whether you stick with the e05 or go for the ld02, bring spare batteries.

Yes, that's the plan, although I am not counting on having any extras with me. Since I don't use AAA's for anything else, other than the remote triggers, I might find myself in a scenario where the lithium cell inside the actual unit is the only AAA battery that I have with me. But like I had already stated, the LD-02 would be my 3rd or even 4th backup. Even if it gets to the point that I have to rely solely on this light, it is unlikely that I would run out of battery power before I'm "out of the woods". Since I will almost never use this flashlight, the lithium battery inside should stay "like new".
Having said that, The LD-02 would be my 'last line of defense', so it had better work when called upon to perform its duty. Which brings us to the next subject:

And neither flashlights drain any power when off.

I need to be absolutely, positively, 100% sure about this. At least with regards to the LD-02 flashlight. Can someone else, please, confirm that an Energizer lithium cell will stay fresh inside the LD-02 up until its expiration date? I'm not planning to use this flashlight in the year 2035 but I need to know that the unit does not drain the battery when it's OFF. I'm sorry, but I really do have to be sure.

For that the ld02 would be best, but then only run it a max to see the distance (20m) and use low mode for the rest.

I wouldn't do it any other way, thank you. Even during 'normal use' as opposed to an emergency, I conserve the battery power with all of my units as much as I can.

By the way, a twisty is considered by some, if not most, the more reliable type of switch since there are no parts to break.

Thank you, and I actually agree with you on that. However, I feel that I'm more likely to turn on the E05 by accident inside my photo bag. Maybe I'll feel the same (or even more so) about the tail-switch on the LD-02, I don't know. I'll have to test out both units and decide which is "safer" in that department. At the very least, I'll have a choice and an extra flashlight. Who knows, maybe I'll end up carrying them both with me.

Last edited:

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened
I can tell you with 100% certainty that the battery will NOT drain when off. On the e05, when you loosen the head the electrical circuit is broken and no power, not even the tiniest bit, will be consumed. Same goes for the ld02, but with the mechanical switch breaking the circuit.
With the ld02, if you are afraid of the switch being inadvertently pressed in your bag, you can loosen the head slightly (same amount as you would to turn off the e05), thereby also breaking the circuit thus preventing activation if the switch is accidentally pressed. This is what we torchaholics call lockout. Just tighten the head if you need to use is.
PS: You could actually turn the ld02 into a twisty if you just leave the switch on always, although it is of course less optimal, and a tiny bit pointless.

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened
If you want a nice stout aaa that wont step down, look for the 10$ astrolux a1. It is available with a neutral/warm 4000K hicri led goving you better color rendition that most cold white leds,which might be nice for nighttime light painting or such sorts.
Biggest downside is it is 17mm diameter, whereas most aaa are about 14mm, so if your e05 just fit and your 19mm e12 doesn't...

Last edited:

cdm-dude

Newly Enlightened
With the ld02, if you are afraid of the switch being inadvertently pressed in your bag, you can loosen the head slightly (same amount as you would to turn off the e05), thereby also breaking the circuit thus preventing activation if the switch is accidentally pressed.

Wow! That is like super-useful to me! Thanks!
I just hope (and actually think) that the LD-02 will remain water-resistant with the head screwed off half-way like that. The O-ring should still provide a good seal... I would hate to actually ruin my own flashlight testing this out but if someone confirms that it's fine, I will do the test myself.

If you want a nice stout aaa that wont step down, look for the 10$ astrolux a1. It is available with a neutral/warm 4000K hicri led goving you better color rendition that most cold white leds,which might be nice for nighttime light painting or such sorts.
Biggest downside is it is 17mm diameter, whereas most aaa are about 14mm, so if your e05 just fit and your 19mm e12 doesn't...

Thanks but I'm not looking for a unit that can burn on turbo for long periods of time. I'm fine with the way the E05 and the LD-02 flashlights operate. I just needed to confirm that there was nothing wrong with the one that I got..
With 'normal use' I would never even switch the LD-02 into the High mode, because I would always have another light that was dedicated to high output. I would (possibly) need the High mode on the LD-02 if it was an emergency and it was my last working light source. And even then, I would use it very sparingly.

* I experimented with light painting back in the day. Now I just use a couple of strobes. Hence the remote triggers.

Last edited:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Thoughts... Keep the Fenix E05 as it is only a back up. If you can afford the Fenix LD02, then just buy it to make you feel better plus it will a second back up.

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
"Timed stepdown"... That's what I'm suspecting too. Just didn't know what to call it. It doesn't say anything about it in the specs though. Anyway, it is my first AAA unit ever, and up until now I didn't even think that a small flashlight like that could get this crazy-hot. So, keeping the temperature in check is probably a good thing. I would much rather have 'some light' than 'no light'.

Honestly, in the past, I wouldn't even consider a AAA unit because up until not that long ago I was a strictly AA guy. But then I had to purchase a couple of camera remote triggers that use the AAA cells, which means that now there are almost always at least 4 of those in my camera bag, that can double as backups for the E05.

I do a lot of night photography. Heading out to the mountains, at the very least I have 2 main lights with me; the Fenix HL-35 headlamp and my old E21 (which I'm about to upgrade). Often I have a Fenix E12 somewhere on me, plus there's also my phone. Having an easily accessible tiny flashlight like the E05, on constant "standby" is more of a convenience than anything else. Being always right there, in a tiny pocket on the bag's "flap" (or whatever you call it), I can get immediate access to a light source in complete darkness and shine inside the bag if I need to get something out quickly. Like, for example, when I'm not wearing the headlamp, can't be bothered to take the phone out of the deep pocket it's usually in, and I don't want to ruin my night vision with something like the E21. Adding to my arsenal a flashlight like the E05, with its ability to put out just a few lumens, made a lot of sense. Previously I had the E11 serve this very purpose. Although it barely fit into the tiny pocket (because there's other stuff in there too). However, I almost NEVER used it because there was always some other light source. And it is not going to be any different with the E05. So, basically, it's supposed to be just sitting there, in case I ever need it. But it also has to double as an "emergency" flashlight.

Let's suppose that I'm on some mountain, shooting scenics by the moonlight. Suddenly, without any warning, a storm decides to roll up on me. Just like that: the moon is gone, it's pitch black AND it starts to rain.
• Being in a hurry to get off the mountain, I accidentally drop the E21, because it's already wet and slippery. It rolls and falls down into a crevice. One down.
• I reach for the E12 but realize that I left it in my other jacket. Two down.
• Fifteen minutes later, as I'm clinging onto a wet and slippery cliff, trying to make my descent, the HL-35 runs out of power. Right there, on the edge of a slippery cliff I begin fiddling with the unit trying to replace the batteries while getting the polarities right, in the pitch-blackness. The E05 should help me see what I'm doing but at this point I'm too stressed out to remember that I even have it with me. Anyway, not seeing what the hell I'm doing, I drop the battery compartment cover into a puddle of rainwater, manage to find it, try to dry it off. By the time I finally screw on the lid the unit has been exposed to the elements for too long. There's water and mud all over the circuit board. The HL-35 is dead. ... Three down.

An unfortunate and very unlikely scenario. But if something like that DOES happen, what the hell am I supposed to use for light? My phone? That I can't even get wet? With its ridiculous light output?... Not being able to go up or down, I'll end up dying on that ledge from hypothermia, or fall down into the canyon trying to get off the mountain in total darkness and reach the safety of my car.

But wait a minute! I was there taking pictures, wasn't I? So, I've got my photo bag with me! (duh..)... Which means my E05 is in it! Hurray! I'm saved!

Not so fast... It would be a real bummer to find out that for the last 3 years that the E05 was just sitting there "in standby", it's been actually draining the (lithium) battery that was supposed to be good for at least another 15 years, something I've been counting on... and now the battery is dead... Well, it looks like I'm still gonna die in the mountains... Just like the old gypsy woman said...

Even if the E05 doesn't draw ANY current when it's off, I'm not entirely happy with the twist-switch. I can see how the E05 can be turned on by accident while I'm reaching for something else in the tiny pocket. It can happen in daylight, without me noticing. The battery will run out (obviously) and when I'm out there, possibly MONTHS later, stranded in the wilderness, instead of being a life-saver, the dead E05 can act as a trigger that makes me lose my cool, which is never a good thing, especially when you're under distress.

The E05 is a great EDC, something you use as a keychain light but it is far from perfect for what I need it to be.

The LD-02 is probably better for me, EVEN if it has the same annoying "timed stepdown". Now, does it draw ANY current from the battery in the "OFF" mode?

Thank you, but in the mountains, at night, you need to have good reach. I feel like the E21, with its hot spot, is generally enough for me in the High mode. With anything below that - I'm taking chances. I always have to carefully search out a path and get at least some visual confirmation that it will, indeed, take me to the next waypoint. Because, often, going back the way I came is not an option. And I don't want to get stranded on a cold ledge during the night. So, seeing as far ahead as possible in this type of scenario is always a good idea.
Consequentially, I would never even consider a light source that puts out less light than the LD-02 or the E05... Yes, I need it primarily as a 'flood' with only a few lumens but I also need the far reach, if it's the only light that I have working.

And you would be surprised just how close you can't see in the mountains, on a moonless night, with your E01.

Dude, you just ran through a situation in which everything fails. You asked for advice and shoot down everyone trying to be helpful. If you're that worried buy something other than a Fenix. Malkoff would be the choice if I thought my life was dependent upon a light.

cdm-dude

Newly Enlightened
No, you're wrong. In the scenario described, only ONE light actually fails, the E05, because supposedly it drains the battery over time, which now I know does not happen.
So; one light is lost, another left behind, and the HL-35 is destroyed by gross mishandling.

I really enjoyed the discussion and the actual back-and-forth with some of the contributors.
I don't think that I shot anyone down but if somebody feels otherwise, please quote me, so that I'll be able to learn from my mistake(s).

Just an update here:

After additional research and consideration I've actually decided to try out the Lumintop tool AAA. The name is weird but the features are awesome.
What I liked about it the most is the reversible clip, which allows it to be transformed into a makeshift headlamp (with certain types of headwear). This kind of versatility is what I'm always looking for in my flashlights.
The 110 lumens is brighter than the E05 or the LD02, though that doesn't always translate into farther reach... But if the Tool can indeed put out a brighter hotspot than the LD02, without stepping down OR burning up, then it would be a winner in my book. It's not a Fenix, so, obviously, I would have to run it through some tests before adding it to my arsenal.
Yes it's slightly longer and wider than the LD02 but it's still smaller than the E11.
It is a twisty and a tail-clicky... Not ideal for me. But I figured that if the head feels loose I can just tape it to the shaft. Problem solved! I won't have to remove it, like, ever... The battery goes in from the other end and I'll just use the clicky to operate the unit. There is also an alternative route with the optional tail cap but because it's magnetic, I don't want it anywhere near my photo equipment, my memory cards or my compass. Yes, I carry my backup compass in a pocket that's adjacent to the one I store my AAA flashlight in.

If the unit was more expensive then I probably wouldn't bother with it but given the price, I figured it was worth a shot. Worst case scenario: I'm out only 20 bucks and I still have my E05 which is not terribly awful. Plus, I can always get me the LD02.

Last edited:

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened
Dude, you just ran through a situation in which everything fails. You asked for advice and shoot down everyone trying to be helpful. If you're that worried buy something other than a Fenix. Malkoff would be the choice if I thought my life was dependent upon a light.

Easy there, lassie. While his scenario is a bit extreme, I don't fault the logic of wanting a fourth (fifth?sixt?...:) back up light.
He at no point shot down any suggestions in a rude or ingrateful manner, just said what was useful or not to him.
At the very least, no offence was taken by me.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
I've never been in a situation where I'm on a ledge over a big drop in the dark, and my last hope to light my way to safety is a AAA keychain light. I'm not saying that your lighting needs aren't critical... but you have to admit it sounds a bit dramatic :) What I'm getting at is that you're probably fine with what you have.

Having said that, as much as I like the Lumintop Tool for EDC use, I don't think it's a step up from the Fenix lights you've been discussing in terms of reliability or durability. If you like the clip design better, that's fine, but it's otherwise in the same ballpark. If you truly need something more robust, I'd suggest something with potted electronics like a Peak Eiger, which of course has a different price point.

cdm-dude

Newly Enlightened
Having said that, as much as I like the Lumintop Tool for EDC use, I don't think it's a step up from the Fenix lights you've been discussing in terms of reliability or durability.

Personally, I have never had any REAL issues with Fenix lights. I think their flashlights are great! Their reliability is precisely the reason I did not conduct ANY research into products from other brands. Reliability and durability are my FIRST priority when it comes to flashlights. Things like performance and functionality are second and third.

I do not consider the TOOL AAA to be a step up from the E05 in terms of reliability. I figured that at the very best it was on par with Fenix, in those terms. I don't have a reason to think otherwise. But if anyone feels that the Lumintop Tool is an inferior product to let's say Fenix LD02, then I would definitely want to hear all about it!

I'm not saying that your lighting needs aren't critical... but you have to admit it sounds a bit dramatic

I agree. However, I've added the drama to help me illustrate a point that a small and seemingly insignificant flashlight like the Fenix E05 can mean the difference between life and death even to someone who is well equipped for hiking in the wilderness. And how the dependability of such a unit should not be taken lightly even by someone who always has plenty of other light sources on hand.

Last edited:

Lord Flashlight

Enlightened
If life and death situations are a big concern I would equip yourself with the tactical line of fenix lights, rather than the economy line. You mention things like dropping lights, being wet and slippery and them rolling away, which I can easily picture happening with the E range.

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
I didn't take any offense--it's that I did not know the situation was hypothetical. I still stand by my recommendation that if your life depends on a light, get a Malkoff.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I can confirm the E05 has no standby drain, due to the head twisting out of electrical contact when off, it does have accidental activation potential.

The head is held out of contact by a very small spring. There is a range (maybe half a turn?) where the light is off, but light pressure can squeeze it on. I drained the first battery on mine in a couple days in my jeans pocket before I noticed this. Since then I'm more careful to twist it a bit further off and haven't had any problems.

I'm perfectly happy to trust mine as a backup light when hiking. I'll leave it up to you to decide what to do with this knowledge in your personal situation.

I don't know about the heat, as I've never tried long runs on high. The max power of the E05 is only about 1 W, but that single Watt passes through a very small head. The fact that you could continue your test for an hour suggests there was no fault with the light. Had it been wasting excess energy as heat due to a problem, I don't think you would not have gotten an hour out of the battery.

cdm-dude

Newly Enlightened
The fact that you could continue your test for an hour suggests there was no fault with the light. Had it been wasting excess energy as heat due to a problem, I don't think you would not have gotten an hour out of the battery.

Yes but I might have shortened the LED's life... And by the way, I got approximately one hour and 14 minutes out of the AAA Energizer lithium (on High) + about 20 minutes in the Mid mode before the battery died completely.

Given the current situation, the only use I will make of this flashlight is: Load it with a fresh lithium cell, run a piece of tape around the head to keep it secured in place, stuff the unit somewhere in my photo bag or the fanny pack where it doesn't get in the way. Hopefully, I won't have to use it EVER. But if I do, it should be good to go.
For that kind of "use" I'm actually quite happy with this product. It is a sturdy, durable, extremely compact and a potent little flashlight. It can take years of being bounced around in my fanny pack. With the head taped in place I don't see any potential problems with the E05. It weighs next to nothing, especially with a lithium cell so I won't even know it's there. In the end it all worked out great for me. It looks like I won't be buying the Fenix LD02 after all.

Thank you all for participating in this discussion!

Last edited: