Da TACMag, my Lux3 rendition (really long w/ pics)

unnerv

Enlightened
I have a few Lux 3 SYOL's laying around that I have not touched because I have TWAK's too. The TWAK's were emitters and the SYOL's stars, so being lazy, I have been using the emitters more. I finally found a project that seemed perfect for the higher Vf stars. I have been working on my latest project for about 2 weeks now and finally have it done.

Drum roll please....

Introducing the TACMag...a 4AA cell 6 volt "D" sized mag pumping out the lux. What is so special about the TACMag? Everyone has a DD 3 watt these days, right? It's all about the machine work on this one. The only part that didn't get machined or modded was the head. Having one of UFOkillerz HID mags with the body from Silverlegacy, I really liked the tailcap switch. The trick was how to duplicate it. I looked high and low for a decent clicky switch to use in the tailcap. After weeks of searching, it dawned on me. We use the kroll switch for just about everything here, all I got to do is find a way to stick it in. I was going to epoxy everything in, but then figured if the switch every got flakey, I would want it replacable, so I machined a kroll-holder for the tail, then threaded the inside of the tail to hold it. Four hours later and much trial and error on the fitting, the tailcap was done.

tail02.jpg

tail01.jpg

tail03.jpg

Next I needed a way to sink all the heat that the poor lux3 was going to put out, so I made a heatsink. I then bored a cavity in the bottom, to run wires through, connect my ground and hold the delrin plug that I had machined to hold the hot wire and hot battery contact. The ground was held in place, by tapping a hole in the sink and then using a screw to hold the wire down.

sink.jpg

Once all this was fit together, I set it aside until I could finish up the body work. My plan for really good thermal transfer was now to bore out the body of the mag to .002 of an inch smaller than the heatsink. Since now the heatsink was slightly larger than the body, I froze the heatsink to cause it to contract slightly and heated the body so it would cause thermal contraction/expansion and just fit together. Once temperature stabilzed, they would contract/expand until the sink was locked into place.

Next I machined a battery holder from, delrin, brass, and some springs that I jacked from a 4AA battery holder. While this seemed like it would be an easy project, because of trial and error (more error...) it took the better part of the day. I took extra care to make sure that every thing down to the rivets were countersinked so I wouldn't short on anything, as there was not going to be much room in there and the spring from the kroll is not terribly long.

tacmagparts.jpg

Finally I cut the body to lenght. To get the knurling in the center, I decided to cut both ends off and rethread for the head and tailcap. It was a lot more work, but it makes the light look more balanced. I cut two extra oring slots just below the head, for decoration. Once everything was ready, I epoxied the led and soldered the leads. The dry time on arctic alumina was killing me so, I cut the reflector, lubed up all the orings and threads with nyogel and dropped in a UCL lens from Flashlightlens.com. The seals are so good on the light that when I screw on the head, it blows the button seal off the tail switch from air pressure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

All done finally...here are a couple of pics of the finished light.

tacmag1.jpg

tacmag2.jpg

Size comparison between the TACMag and a Surefire L4

tacmagl4.jpg

and finally the beamshot

beamshot.jpg

From left to right: L4, McModule V2T, TACMag, and just for fun the UFOKillerz WA 10W HID.

While it does not put out as much overall light, the brightness in the pic look fairly accurate to the real thing. The TACMag's tight hotspot is almost as bight as a the HID. When 1st powering up it draws 1.8A and settles in around 1.5A at 5.2 volts for 7.8watts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

After all is said and done, the project took me close to 22 hours of shoptime, but the end result I think was worth it.

Wow, this post took almost as long to write as it did to make the light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif Thanks all for looking.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Unnerv,

Very, VERY nice indeed! Just one question -- are you DD'ing the Lux3 on 6V?

unnerv

Enlightened
Yeah, DD on 6v. Part of the reason I picked the SYOL over the TWAK. I tested it on my benchtop powersupply all the way up to 1.8A for about 10 seconds while it was on a star (still connected to a tree of 4 stars for a little extra sinking) and the star didn't get up over 96F on the IR temp gun, so I figured that with proper heatsinking I should be okay. So far the longest I have had it on was about 7 or 8 minutes, but the temp at the top of the heatsink was only 94F and the body was 93F so I figure I have a good thermal connection if nothing else for all the trouble it was to get the oversized sink in.

jtice

Flashaholic
That is exceptional work !!!!!!!

Ive cut down a mag, and rethreaded the tail, I know thats NOT easy.

Switch looks nice also.

And WOW, NIICE work on that batt holder, MAN those are HARD to make. Yours looks very profeccional.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
yikes that's a lot of wasted power going to it!
Very nice design though. Great idea on the tail swtich!

unnerv

Enlightened
Thanks jtice, it was definately an experience. It took much longer than I had anticipated, but I guess that is probably the norm with just about anything else I do.

Isaac I was going to DD from 3 AA's for 4.5 volt but figured after the resistance from the switch and wiring, and the higher Vf of the LED, I could get better runtime from the 4 cells as even when they are about dead I should still be getting 3.6v to 4v out of the pack. I figure AA's are cheap anyway. I am almost afraid to put in new energizers/duracells as better quality batts might allow for more current /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for stopping in and taking the time to read my huge post. I am really digging this light right now, and I think the only mod I have left to try is to sputter the reflector to smooth the beam a little more.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

VERY nice

Klaus

LightScene

Enlightened
Re: Da TACMag, my Lux3 rendition (really long w/ p

That's an awesome mod!

It took a lot of brains to figure out that 4 alkalines would work well with your emitter.

Maybe you can make a thin resistor sandwich that you could put in the battery tube when you are using brand new batteries.

Another idea is to use one partially depleted battery with 3 new ones.

That's some super nice work!

unnerv

Enlightened

It should be okay on new batteries, I am only worried about the brand name like duracell ultras where they have a higher output. Costco batteries should be no problem at all.

Hopefully tonight, if I get some time I'll get some lux readings on the meter. It'll be interesting to see how bright it really is.

ufokillerz

Enlightened

very nice work !!, thats a new idea for using the kroll, always wanted to use the kroll, because its more tactile, how did it work for you? easy to depress and fully click on?

how long did that switch take to produce?

wished i had a lathe =\

btw: great battery packs, wished i had 2 of these packs =\ i need a 8xAA config for something and can't find some high quality packs =(

unnerv

Enlightened

I really like the way the kroll feels. It has more resistance than yours, but not too much. Feels exactly like it does in a mclux. It turned out really well. It took me about 4 hours to complete the switch, between making the part and threading everything.

I have not used these before, but for 8xAA this might work depending on how tight your space is.

unnerv

Enlightened
Re: TACMag, my Lux3 rendition lux readings

I took some lux readings tonight and the high was 14030 at about one meter (as close as I could get to 39 inches in my hallway holding the light in my hand and ruller on the floor.) All I can say is wow this has a killer hotspot.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

The good thing is you also have the option of running a fourth "dummy AA" in case you decide to keep it to 4.5V.

BTW have you tested brightness at 4.5V anyway? If perhaps 6V is only marginally brighter at least you would have an alternative power supply that runs it more safely...

unnerv

Enlightened

Yeah, I'll have to make up a dummy cell and see what it puts out on the light meter. I have a 3 to D converter from EL but the resistance was just under two ohms, so I decided build my own on 4 cells. Maybe I'll see if the EL holder will fit...It might be a tad to short since the kroll spring doesn't have much travel.

unnerv

Enlightened

AiLSnail, boy I wish I had found that holder before I made mine. It would have saved me about a days worth of work. Oh well, I guess having a custom battery holder adds to the character of the light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

ZENGHOST

Enlightened

AilSnail/unnerv--that adapter from aventrade is pretty bad. It wired for parallel, so it would need modification for use in this. It's actually very well constructed but when I got them (6 of them), none of them worked. I tried at least 5 or 6 different brands of AA's and none of them made contact properly on the positive end. I wound up having to shove tin foil into the positive contact for them to work. These are the same ones that Mr.Bulk was giving away recently.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened

Oh, and I forgot to add--terrific mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Being able to get rid of the Mag switch assembly really shortens up the body.

unnerv

Enlightened

Thanks UFO, and Zenghost, I'm kinda glad that they were not serial, makes the work seem more worth it.