Does Anybody Here Ever Run Twin LED Flashlights On Their Cap?

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally bought a Fenix RC09 a few days ago. It is a nice, small light that works well while clipped onto my cap. With the various modes, that made me wonder if anybody runs side by side lights on their cap while doing outdoor activities. And, if you do, do you run both at the same level? Does anybody here ever run one in steady burn and the other in strobe?

One of the reasons I ask is because I have seen people out bicycle riding and occasionally I will see someone on a bicycle with one bike light in steady burn and another in strobe mode. While it might be overkill for most activities performed while wearing a baseball cap, there may be times where having two lights would be useful. What do you guys think?

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I need a headlamp, I don't clip to my cap. I have two Four Sevens headbands, that I removed the plastic mount so I have one head strap with two mounts. The first gets an Atom with no reflector that acts as a mule illuminating the entire work area. The next mount has an Atom with reflector(on medium), to provide a "hot spot" on whatever I am working on. Works great. Have been laid up for a bit due to surgery, so no biking recently, hopefully others can respond to that aspect of your question....

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont own any headlamps but like clipping lights to the bill of my cap. My favorites are eagletac DL25C2 and quarks. Prefer neutral tint. Both of these allow for the head and tail to be positioned with the clip in heads up.

I have, for several years, used a pair of Zebralight H51f's on the same headband. Last night it was the perfect light to illuminate my new out building while i painted. Also have used them for night hikes and mountain biking.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Teeth hold fan here. When a 2nd is of use I resort to the ball cap thing with the 2nd light.
That's where I go, too.

On that line... the new Olight S1R tastes terrible. That new tail end recharging system leaves a sour taste.

The ball cap method puts the weight too far out for my liking. For short use, the teeth work. If I need it longer then I grab a headlamp.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
That's where I go, too.

The ball cap method puts the weight too far out for my liking. For short use, the teeth work. If I need it longer then I grab a headlamp.

Same here. Ball cap drooping is a drag.

But the Microstreams I used to use didn't play nice with drool in the tailcap switch. "Zzz.zzz.zzzt" then darkness. So now that one is relegated for ballcap use. Being my PL 2 is a twist head I set it on low and use that one. No drool issues yet.

The uncoated silver one hides droppsies scars and the attached ferrous based Microstream clip allows retrieval with a magnet if it gets dropped into the abyss of a Honda engine bay.

Last edited:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I frequently use a Peak Eiger high CRI (#4) clipped to the bill of my cap, but I've never considered using two. In situations where I'm using this setup or a headlamp, I tend to be fairly dark-adjusted and don't need high output. It's usually for up-close work or navigating, and like others have mentioned, I will use a headlamp when planning for longer-term use.

The high CRI Eiger is awesome for grilling on those dark winter evenings, BTW, and it's light enough that I frequently forget that it's there!