Threads stripped? Try tape.

IDKuname

Newly Enlightened
First post, I hope this is in a good spot.

Some years back I had a Fenix P1D-CE. For those of you who don't know, it's a 123a light where the emitter assembly screws into the body. So to swap out a battery, you have to unscrew the top, swap batteries, then screw it back together. This put a noticeable amount of wear on the threading over the thousands of hours (yes, thousands) that I used it for. Toward the end, the spring-loaded head would simply pop off, as the threading was too stripped to hold it on.
After some tinkering, I got the idea of using some tape I had lying around to give the threads something to bite into. The tape was 5 mils thick with 3 mils of Teflon film and 2 mils of silicone adhesive. (If you want some, go to www.mcmaster.com and get Item # 6305A22 – the 5 yard stuff is incredibly cohesive, while the18 yard stuff easily separates into film and adhesive. Also note that this is absolutely nothing like PTFE / Teflon pipe-seal tape.) I wound a single layer over the male threading (ends overlapping to avoid gaps) and cleanly cut the ends off with a razor blade to form a continuous monolayer. After that fix, I never once had problems with threading over the next few hundred hours I used the light.
I hope that helps someone wishing to resurrect a flashlight with a stripped screw-joint!

schuster

Newly Enlightened
First post, I hope this is in a good spot.

Some years back I had a Fenix P1D-CE. For those of you who don't know, it's a 123a light where the emitter assembly screws into the body. So to swap out a battery, you have to unscrew the top, swap batteries, then screw it back together. This put a noticeable amount of wear on the threading over the thousands of hours (yes, thousands) that I used it for. Toward the end, the spring-loaded head would simply pop off, as the threading was too stripped to hold it on.
After some tinkering, I got the idea of using some tape I had lying around to give the threads something to bite into. The tape was 5 mils thick with 3 mils of Teflon film and 2 mils of silicone adhesive. (If you want some, go to www.mcmaster.com and get Item # 6305A22 – the 5 yard stuff is incredibly cohesive, while the18 yard stuff easily separates into film and adhesive. Also note that this is absolutely nothing like PTFE / Teflon pipe-seal tape.) I wound a single layer over the male threading (ends overlapping to avoid gaps) and cleanly cut the ends off with a razor blade to form a continuous monolayer. After that fix, I never once had problems with threading over the next few hundred hours I used the light.
I hope that helps someone wishing to resurrect a flashlight with a stripped screw-joint!

My archive brain seems to remember a discussion like this ages ago.

It was pointed out that an excellent material for this putpose it the stretchable Teflon tape used by plumbers to seal pipe junctions.
You can use as little or as much as you want in order to get the perfect fit. You don't need adhesive because it naturally clings, especially when stretched a little as you wrap it.
The stuff is dirt cheap and readily available.
Threads having sharp edges may shred it after a while; but, hey, if that happens just peel it off any put on a fresh layer or more.

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
If you have the option of loosening the other non-striped side, Loctite makes a retaining compound called 603 or 648. They are not thread lockers. They are retaining compounds meant to make up for the wear that occurs on press fit parts like universal joints. It works very well but...you won't be getting the part back off without heat and brute force. Hence, you'd need another way to swap out batteries.