PT Atitude not as bright as I thought it would be.

jason978

Newly Enlightened
Hey gang,

Just got pt Attitude and it's no where near as bright as I thought it would be. It's bearly brighter than my infinity ultra with a slightly used battery. Is this normal, is it supposed to be this dim? Maybe I was just expecting too much.

Is the lightwave 2100 much brighter than the attitude/infinity ultra. Thanks,

Jason

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: PT Atitude not as bright as I thought it would

The Attitude is not a real bright light. It doesn't overdrive its leds as much as the Ultra does. It's still a real handy light. Your results are similar to Quickbeam's measurements, I think.

haertig

Newly Enlightened

You pretty much described what I've observed with mine. Attitude is a bit brighter than Infinity Ultra, but not overwhelmingly so. I will say that initially I was a little disappointed with my Attitude for just this reason, but I've grown to really like it now. So much so that I just bought three more from TTS after they decided to stop carrying PT lights. My current Attitude is the blue model, soon to be supplemented with it's red, black and yellow siblings. I plan to dole these things out to the family on camping trips.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree. Even though you might think that having 3 LEDs would make it "3" times as bright...this is not the experience. What you do get though, is a REALLY smooth beam (since 3 light sources contribute to it) and a really great form factor that is somewhat brighter.

I really love mine (I have an Ultra too) and would not trade it. It is probably my favorite light. I use it for 95% of all of my flashlight needs. I use NiMh AAAs so battery cost is a non-issue. A great value at $14 IMHO.

paulr

Flashaholic

I bet the Attitude has more neutral beam color than the overdriven (blueish beam) Ultra too.

utomatoe

Enlightened

I like my attitude, nice light, I wish it was brighter, but it has a nice spill. It's also waterproof, not sure if the ultra is...

Also, the attitude is easily available, compared to the ultra (or at least in Toronto...)

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like my Attitudes, in fact I bought one today. Not the brightest 3-LED light out there, but adequate, durable, efficient, and don't forget made in the USA!

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened

I am a park ranger in NH and when we find people lost in the dark we loan them attitudes to get down- if they forget to give them back to us we haven't lost a lot of money. Plenty bright enough to hike in a non-light polluted area. -

paulr

Flashaholic

Funny, I just bought several Attitudes on closeout but in normal circumstances I've thought of them as a bit overpriced, though nice lights. I think for loaner lights I'd use cheap incandescents.

franken2

Newly Enlightened

Looking at my pt attitude, opalec, and browning branded lightwave 2100
attitude and opalec = tie
browning #2100 slightly dimmer, running on panasonic 1600 mah nimh's
I love the pt attitude!
also read that newer versions will
be made with new attitude 2 body.
enjoy!

LightHearted

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
I bet the Attitude has more neutral beam color than the overdriven (blueish beam) Ultra too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the Attitude is just about the bluest 3 led light I have seen. My Ultra is almost pure white compared to it. That's what put me off mainly. With a lithium my Ultra is almost nearly as bright as the Attitude. It has a perfectly smooth beam too. It is probably my favorite single 5mm light.

DEFENDER

Newly Enlightened

I agree the Attitude is not real bright, but its has niice spill which is more useful is dark.

I had same problems years ago, my Attitude just same brightness as Infinity Ultra, I send it back to PT to repair. Come back is a for sure brighter than Infinity Ultra small size flashlight.

Year after year, I stiil love my ATTITUDE.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Harrkev

Enlightened

Another advantage of the Attitude is that it does not drive the LEDs too hard. LEDs are more efficient if not driven too hard. So an Attitude will run almost forever on a set of batteries.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

well, according to my lightmeter, my 3 attitudes are just over 50lux at 1 meter.

my infinity ultra is 28 lux at 1 meter with a lithium.

the attitude is perceptibly brighter, and blu-er.

i like them both!

Bob

B

Birmingham47

Quote: Franken2 said
[ QUOTE ]
also read that newer versions will
be made with new attitude 2 body.

[/ QUOTE ]
Since you brought it up, here's what I know.
PT attitude and rage will be made with the Impact II body. Advantage; Ergonomics and clip.
Also, a new Yukon is on the way. It has an 8 AA battery pack to attach to your belt, pack, etc. (Xenon version)
And another: The Princeton Tec Corona!
8 led headlamp with choices between 1, 5, or 8 LED's lit. Also comes with a rheostat to adjust brightness in each setting. I'm looking forward to it. PS- With a 150 hour battery life and waterproof to 500 ft, the attitude is a tough little light. I use it as a secondary emergency light and never have to worry about if the batteries are good.
It rocks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

N710

Newly Enlightened
The main advantage of the Attitude over your Ultra is runtime since it is rated by them for 200 hours and your Infinity at 25.

I have both but use the Attitude more.

paulr

Flashaholic

The 200 hour rating is preposterous though, it's extremely dim by that point, not useful illumination really.

paulr

Flashaholic

OK, I just got several Attitudes in the TTS closeout and tried one out. I don't have an Ultra handy but with new batteries, I'd say the Attitude is about 2x as bright as my Arc AAA which is very close to an Ultra. Of course the Attitude will get dimmer as the batteries wear out.

Examining the Attitude bezel I see there seems to be one 25 ohm resistor shared between the three LED's. If the batteries are putting out 1.6v (they're brand new from the package) that would be around 110 mA total for the three leds (37 ma per led), quite a bit more than the Ultra delivers to its led, and in a more efficient part of the leds' operating range.

This is a nice little light. I still prefer the Ultra because of its smaller size and more common battery, but the Attitude is excellent if you're trying to standardize on AAA's and not trying to completely minimize weight.