baby flashoholic

desert rover

Newly Enlightened
hey there every body. I have a quick question for you people. My mom lives on an acre property and is looking for a small thrower to look for
critters before she takes her dog for a walk. She has a 2D cell maglight now, but I told her I would look for something better. I was thinking
about the Nitecore ecw4s just wanted to get some feedback on the light. She lives in Arizona so she gets a few coyotes in the area.
Thanks for any help.

Connor

Enlightened
Convoy C8 or Emisar D1S come to mind.
Please make sure your mom understands the caveats when using/charging LiIon batteries.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Better than the Maglite ML300L ?
366M throw
524L high
143 Low
58 Eco
Strobe

Define better. More Lumens (how many more?), better design (in what way), more modes?

I wouldn't task anyone with care of charging lithium cells who wasn't already very versed in using a NiMh charger and willing to put in the time to learn and attend them. I have been using rechargeable for years and I couldn't be bothered by the extra care needed for lithium.

Small Thrower - Thrunite TN4A HI.

Last edited:

desert rover

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Leanburn for the quick reply. She has an incadesent model now and is looking to upgrade. She is looking to illuminate about 100ft behind property to see if coyotes are lurking. I like how the nitecore can be turned on in turbo. I've seen some reviews on youtube and seems like a good light.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

The question of battery types will need to be settled before any real suggestions can be made. Personally, I wouldn't want to trouble my mother with the care of lithium ion cells, though I have a ton of them myself.

The Thrunite that LeanBurn recommended can operate on 4 x AA. That might be in the right neighborhood.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Welcome to the site desert rover.

If she likes her Maglite get her another one. The Maglite is popular with consumers for good reason and the stuff they put out in 2016 was way beyond previous Maglites.
Perhaps a C sized ML50 since it's a bit slimmer for potentially more confident grip from her smaller hands. 3C sized ML50 is pretty close to the current 2D in length and the switch will be familiar.
No learning curve when the kuy-oats are being pesky.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
The good thing about a Maglite is you can whack someone or something if the need arises. I've converted a few of my old 3D Mags to LED, and they throw surprisingly far. I put a paracord wrist strap on them, and carry them by the head or in my back pocket if I need a weapon in disguise. Great for gun free zones.

JT

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
CPF does not endorse using flashlights as hitting weapons. We're about illumination. :)

Bill

The good thing about a Maglite is you can whack someone or something if the need arises. I've converted a few of my old 3D Mags to LED, and they throw surprisingly far. I put a paracord wrist strap on them, and carry them by the head or in my back pocket if I need a weapon in disguise. Great for gun free zones.

JT

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
The EC4SW is way too floody in my opinion. You mentioned "small" thrower. I'd say get her a Nitecore P30 and a box of CR123As. I own both lights btw...

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Either the Maglite ML300 (D cell) or ML50 (C cell) would be big upgrades from an old incan Mag. The ML25 (C cell twisty) is nice too. If she will be running alkalines, I would go with a 3 cell model.

desert rover

Newly Enlightened
Hope everyone survived black friday. I talked to my mom and she said to go with the maglite 300l Just have another quick question. Can you use a regular alkaline d cell or does the flashlight require something special.:thumbsup:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hope everyone survived black friday. I talked to my mom and she said to go with the maglite 300l Just have another quick question. Can you use a regular alkaline d cell or does the flashlight require something special.:thumbsup:

All of the C and D cell Mags will run on alkalines, that is what they are designed for. The 3 cell models will have about 2X or more run time than the 2 cell versions with alkalines.

Why is the ML300 a no go? Too big? If so, you can get basically the same light in a smaller package with the C cell ML50 or even smaller with the ML25, though the ML25 is a single mode twisty.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Will she be wanting the 2 or 3 cell'd 300L? I used to be concerned w/ alkaline leakage, so I bought EBL and Tenergy D NIMHs to use in my D dized Mags.

You mentioned that she was looking for a "small" thrower. Did she change her mind and wants to stick w/ the same sized 2D or even the bigger 3D?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I've yet to have a Rayovac C or D leak in the time I've been a member here... even in Maglites, which seem to be coated with alkaline sucking protons or something. Duracells and Energizer leak anywhere between a few months to as quickly as a few weeks. Double and triple A too.

They cost less, have the same capacity, are US made and don't leak. I tried to get triple A's to leak. Stuck 'em in my truck in summer for months, during winter too. And I thought for sure my PKDL PL2 would suck out the fuel so fast they'd vent. I killed 2 in a row in less than 45 minutes combined (about 22 minutes start to no longer enough juice to keep the light on) and neither one leaked. I trust them in antique lights if that says anything...

IMG_20171029_164912.jpg

FYI the blue is a 2D classic. Black is a 3D ML300.
They shrunk the D sized 2016+ models

Last edited: