Nitecore Tini Review

7hns

Newly Enlightened
This is my review of my Nitecore Tini. I always have liked small lights. While larger lights have their purpose, flashlights are useless if they are not with you. So in my mind, smaller (potentially sacrificing output and runtime) is a worthy tradeoff. I have lights ranging from the Nitecore Tip, Tube, Olight S Mini (and S1) and many other small lights. Recently, I've found that Nitecore seems to be innovating quite a bit and at least coming out with things that are somewhat different from other manufacturers. I sprung for the blue Tini and really like it. In my pictures, left to right, is an S Mini, the Tini and the Tip. I absolutely love this light and plan on getting more for gifts. This is easily the best solution to have on your keychain at all times.

Pluses:
  • I was pleasantly surprised by how small the Tini actually is. It is quite a bit smaller than the Tip, which is by no means a large light.
  • Overall build quality feels good. Buttons are very tactile.
  • The clip seems strong.
  • The light is very floody, check this off as a plus for me in terms of this type of light. For some others, this may be a negative.
  • Just like on the Tip, I enjoy having dual buttons. It makes it far from a tactical light, but very practical for this sort of use.
  • Relative to the size, I am plenty happy with the output and runtime. High is rated at 145 lumens at an hour. This seems like a great compromise to me and for most people, this is probably plenty for what they encounter on a regular basis.
  • The built in power indicator is useful, especially having this with you on the go.
  • Simple modes are not overbearing and confusing.
  • MicroUSB recharging is an obvious plus.

Minuses:
  • While I understand why Nitecore chose to do require you to hold the power button for two seconds, I would've preferred an instant on switch. Again, not the end of the world, and this helps to prevent accidentally turning it on.
  • This is extremely small of a nitpick, and probably not even a minus to most people but I personally like darker blues. This is a little more royal. Solely personal preference.
  • Strange to me was that the box included a regular manual and then a one pager on some tips and tricks, kind of a quick guide. This was a hand cut, office printed, paper with some incorrect grammar. In no way does this impact the light, I just found it a bit strange.
  • The recharging is a little slow. I'm not sure flashlights have caught up to fast charging like cell phones have.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your review.

Thinking maybe Nitecore does not want to charge such a little battery too hard in order for it to charge a little quicker, perhaps shortening its useful life.

illumn did not send the separate 'quick guide, tips and tricks' to me. Wondering if you got yours from nitecorestore. Further wondering if you would be willing to post an image of that piece of paper?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe it also takes more circuitry to handle the ability to fast charge as well as slow charge. Given the small amount of real estate available, it may just be that there wasn't room. Bear in mind that the USB 2.0 standard only supplies 0.5A, so recharging from a PC or Laptop will be slow no matter what circuitry the Tini has. Also, in my experience, manufacturers size any adapters they include with their products to be just enough. I've got a lot of 0.7A and 1.0A adapters lieing around. All of the higher output adapters I have are ones that I have bought myself.

I'm really enjoying the TINI. Fortunately, we had a Cateye bike light that came with a usb charger that fits the TINI. Of all the usb cords I have only it would fit. I would have been bummed if I had to wait another four or five days for a usb chord. Word to the wise, order the usb charger along with the light.

Merry Christmas!

~ Chance

V0ZCZJs.jpg

terryoregon

Newly Enlightened
If you have a Nitecore TIP, it's charging cord will also work on the TINI (confirmed, the TIP charging cord is what I'm using on my TINI).

Last edited:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've already used a few different micro-usb cords. They all worked fine on my TINI. I've even charged it (slowly) from my laptop.

Ren

Newly Enlightened
Does it still allow use whilst it's charging? There was an image of it plugged into a battery pack via a stiff USB cable, but seems not to be a on the official nitecore site.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it still allow use whilst it's charging? There was an image of it plugged into a battery pack via a stiff USB cable, but seems not to be a on the official nitecore site.

Mine seems to. I haven't really tested it, just plugged it in and turned it on, didn't wait to see if it actually raised the charge level but the "I'm charging" led lights blinked.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you sir (with the excellent wife) for giving us that image of the Quick Operation guide.

Talked with our remodeling friend. He recently purchased a 2017 TIP, so when I gave him the TINI, he was understandably less than overjoyed, and made the comment "I don't like change".
However, he does like the TINI, and uses it for work. He keeps it in daily mode on a medium size Nite-Ize S-biner on his right front belt loop. The TIP sometimes got turned on when he's carrying something pressed against his lower abdomen. So far, the TINI has not gone on unintentionally. He also likes the recessed buttons (twice he's had the rubber type button rub off partially with the TIP). The smaller battery seems to not adversely affect his use at work or leisure.

terryoregon

Newly Enlightened
There is a blue LED under the two keys. it will blink during charging and stay on when charging is complete.

From the manual here:

Charging TIPs:When it is charging in progress, the blue indicators will blink slowly to
notify user; the indicators will keep on upon charging completion

28xa8mhvvd0ybz16g.jpg

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you. I don't think mine is working properly when charging, I will switch cords and see what happens. Thanks again!

You have to make sure the rubber door is out of the way and the USB cord is plugged all the way in deep. Mine has a bit of resistance and I have to push it in firmly. NOT HARD, just firmly.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, with the port facing you and the bezel aimed upwards, try opening the cover and rotating it counter clockwise until the retaining tab is at the lower right hand corner of the micro USB opening. At least that works for me.

SAWBONES

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that nice review.I just got one of these, and I'm amazed at the brightness of the "Turbo" setting level in relation to the tiny size of the light, compared to other small lights I've had. It's become mt EDC keychain light.