REAL WORLD REVIEW – Klarus G30 (FloodSpot)

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
REAL WORLD REVIEW – Klarus G30

URL: http://www.klaruslight.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=174&id=118
================================================================
A brief opening note about the "Real World Reviews"
At this point many fellow "flashaholics" have developed very sophisticated and detailed methods for measuring nearly every conceivable technical aspect of the illumination products on the market. The "Real World Reviews" acknowledge the existence of the detailed technical reviews (and I'll link to them below if I can) but will not re-hash all of that tech data. Instead the focus of the "Real World Reviews" is to take that "laboratory" information out into real world conditions to give the reader an idea of how the numbers translate into actual use.
===============================================================

Technical Review (done by someone else):
Candlepower Forums (images have been lost): https://tinyurl.com/zcorgeu

Youtube video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoSr-MvRji4

===============================================================
Intended Use: General use, Search and Rescue, Lighting up the whole back yard.
Power Source: 3x 18650 Li-Ion batteries
Average Cost: $95.00 (USD)

What you get:
· Nicely laid out Packaging
· Klarus G30
· Spare "O" ring
· Loop type lanyard
· Some documentation

Initial Impression(s):
This light
Much like its sibling the G35, this light is best described as "tank like". I'm not sure a solid bar of aluminum would feel any more solid. The quality of workmanship seems excellent though on my sample the threads were really dry so I had to pull out the Nyogel and treat the threads and "O" ring. Looking into the barrel you see a relatively deep, stippled, reflector with the large "button" of the CREE MT-G2 LED sitting at the bottom. If you are used to how LED emitters look, this one is a strange duck.

The interface is physically identical to the G35, but the actual manual of operation is different. It has a dual button arrangement with one side switch and one larger rubber tail-switch and the light can still tail-stand though which is very nice. The multiple modes can be accessed with either switch which means that if you are wearing gloves it is a simple matter to operate from the larger, protruding, rubber tail-switch.
Cycling the modes is where things get interesting (see 4:45 in the video linked above). The G30 cycles in the opposite direction of the G35 in that it goes from Bright to Dim. The light does have memory and will return to the last setting you used. Another interesting feature is that the two buttons both have a different "instant on" function.

If you press-and-hold the side button, the light will turn on (and stay on) in its lowest mode regardless of what you were using previously. This can be very nice.
If you press-and-hold the tail-switch, the light will come on in the brightest mode and stay on until you release the switch. This also works even if the light is already on, which means you can "jump up" to the brightest mode instantly and then drop back down to a lower level by just releasing the button.

I just don't care about the flashing/SOS modes so I don't cover them here.

The beam is wide and bright and beautiful. The deep, stippled, reflector creates a "floodspot" but the light has such a pool of lumens to work with that the end result is still a remarkable ability to throw. It just happens to also light up EVERYTHING for the entire length of the throw.

The beam color on my sample is a very nice warm white. I find it very pleasant. There is no PWM flicker on the lower light level modes. I am glad because my eyes are extremely sensitive to flicker, it actually will make me feel sick over time which renders lights useless for me.

Output (Per manufacturer):
Mode 1 (15 Lumens/260hr): suitable for "general" indoor/outdoor use (too bright for bathroom runs)
Mode 2 (300 Lumens/18hr): suitable for "general" and distance outdoor use.
Mode 3 (900 Lumens/5hr 40min): suitable for distance and area outdoor use.
Mode 4 (2450 Lumens/1hr 40min): suitable for search and rescue, area floodlighting, impressing the hell out of your friends.
================================================= =================================
The "Standard evening walk" begins with illuminating 5"x5" white plastic test targets affixed to trees in my back yard (see below) and then takes place over either a 1.5 or a 2.5 mile loop on an unlit and mostly open grassy area with a few trees, and then ends going through a short, steep, uphill/downhill gravel trail surrounded by trees and heavy undergrowth which I call the "confidence course".

Target Test
1) 20ft (6 yards / 6 meters):.............................. Illuminated in mode 1+
2) 50ft ( 16 yards / 15 meters):.......................... Illuminated in mode 2+
3) 100ft ( 33 yards / 30 meters):........................ Illuminated in mode 2+
4) 200ft Fence ( 66 yards / 61 meters):.............. Illuminated in mode 2+
5) 250ft ( 83 yards / 76 meters):........................ Illuminated in mode 3+
6) 350ft ( 116 yards / 106 meters):..................... Illuminated in mode 3+
Across The Park (approx 250 yards/228 meters): Illuminated in mode 3+, well illuminated in mode 4.
================================================ ===================================

The Walk
The night was fairly dark with no moon and very still air. Ambient temperature was approximately 47 degrees F. With its nice controlled "floodspot" beam, Mode 1 (15 Lumens/260hr) was actually sufficient for walking the paved part of the trail without announcing my presence to the world at large. The beam covered the area without resorting to a lot of side-to-side "scanning" which was very pleasant and there was ZERO "follow the bouncing ball" effect.

Switching up to Mode 2 (300 Lumens/18hr) took me into "yeah I can see everything around me" territory. 300 lumens in a nice "floodspot" is a lot like having a porch light on but not so powerful that other people around go "what the hell is that". It's an awesome hiking beam and the fact that it would run for around 18 hours is just stunning. Mode 2 really was enough for the entire walk, including the "confidence course" area where I had absolutely no issue with depth perception, or determining the right place to put my feet. The "floodspot" also surprised me with its ability to pierce shrubbery and pine tree cover. Yes there was a lot of bounce back, but I could see the trunks of the trees too.

Wow… everything I need for "the walk" and I still had two more brightness levels to go! Call me a happy camper! So out into the edge of the golf course and up to Mode 3 (900 Lumens/5hr 40min) which easily threw out to 100 yards and illuminated everything between me and the target ! And finally up to Mode 4 (2450 Lumens/1hr 40min) and… okay this is just getting silly (LOL) I could clearly see tree trunks, resting deer, and other relatively low contrast details at a rangefinder measured 250 yards. And it wasn't just seeing the target either. Without "sweeping" the light around, I could also see pretty much everything in a very broad swath of illumination from my feet all the way out to the target. I mean seriously, you could have played golf by this light!

After the walk I went into my garage and opened the hood of my car and just "looked around" doing the sort of normal checks and work you'd often use a flashlight for. It worked very well though for that function I would wish for a good solid magnet to hold the light. The other usual checks of looking around the house and down a long heating vent were also well within the capabilities of this light.

The lowest setting Mode 1 (15 Lumens/260hr) is too bright and flood for a night-time "bathroom run" and elicited complaints from my spouse and also woke my dog and caused her to come investigate.

One thing I did do was accidentally activate the light via the side switch while it was "nose standing". Luckily I noticed it but I wish the bezel was slightly crenelated so that you could see that the light is on.

CONS:
· Wish the bezel was slightly crenelated so that you could see if you accidentally left it on
· I'm not especially fond of the alignment-pin setup in the tailcap, but if care is used it is okay.
· Flat-top batteries are loose and rattle but you should use protected button top anyway.
· PROS:
· Solid construction.
· Easy/intuitive interface.
· BRIGHT with excellent beamshape and coverage

Summary:
This is an extraordinarily flexible light and I'm pretty sure that this light is going to take over "door duty" in the house which means it will be one of the regular use lights that hangs by the door to be grabbed to sweep the back yard or handle other situations. I really like this light a lot!

Final conclusion:
5 of 5 photons, STRONGLY RECOMMENDED.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Real world update

The Klarus G30 and a BLF-Q8 got used for a two-and-a-half-hour search looking for a lost dog tonight on and around a 550 acre property and some adjoining state land.
Open fields, heavily forested sections, and ravines where you REALLY want to know your footing!

The conditions were terrible, icy freezing rain, gusty wind, about 30 degrees temps, just wet and miserable.
I think the light took it better than my wife who was using it.

As a tool being used under real (harsh) conditions, the G30 was FANTASTIC!

I had cautioned my wife to set it to Mode 3 (900 Lumens/5hr 40min) for most of the search to make the batteries last, and showed her how to "flash"it up to Mode 4 (2450 Lumens/1hr 40min) by pressing and holding the tail-switch as needed. Judging by battery remaining, she made judicious use of both modes.

According to the battery charger afterwards she had gone through roughly 70% of the available battery power so we probably could have rounded out at a full three hours of search time before we'd have needed spares or a recharge. Close inspection of the interior showed no signs of water intrusion even though the buttons had been operated repeatedly while the light was literally dripping with water.

A fun light to have, and a QUALITY TOOL when you need it.