Inova X5 HA

Warhoggie

Enlightened
I like it. But as always, i want something brighter still!
Purple-ish white light on mine. Great for camping, as small flood light. Not good for tactical usage like in a gun fight.

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
The HA3 w/o markings has a definite 'cool factor.'

Other than that it's pretty much just like a regular X5T... some say it's a little dimmer due the HA on the bezel, but I didn't see a noticable difference in output. It does indeed make a great flood, camping, task light... and with its long runtime it's perfect for a emergancy light.

An added bonus is that it'll drag the last bit of juice out of all your old, used up, CR123a batteries.

Deanster

Enlightened
Yep - I can't really decide about this one. HA3 is excellent, and it's a perfect medium light with very long run time. However, with lights like the Arc LSH-P and Surefire L4, it's a very tough call for me on carrying this light - for the size and weight, I can have so much more light available. Long runtime isn't usually so critical, or if it is, I carry an ArcAA.

The mix of 2x123 size, super-solid (and thus somewhat heavy) build, medium-bright flood and very long runtime is somewhat unique, and I just can't figure out how it best fits into my life. Perfect for walking paths, camping, boating, emergencies, etc., but for EDC or other ongoing carry, it's consistently not my first choice.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered one. After receiving it, I ordered 2 more. It's not the "Wow, that thing is bright!" light, but in dark environments it put out a very wide fairly bright and useful beam. As said before it's great for using up those cells that dont power up the incans anymore. Plus, the finish is virtually indestructable. It's a very solidly built light. I wouldnt EDC it either, but there are many situations around the house where I find it to be just right.

avusblue

Enlightened
I got mine yesterday. The finish is very nice. But I agree with the above couple of posters about "where does this light fit in?" It's bigger than an Arc LS but not as bright. As big as an L4 but not NEARLY as bright. Beam quality is not bad, but not nearly as white as either of them (bluish center, greenish corona). No clip. No clickie. Long runtime, yes, but 123s are small and cheap enough that I can keep spares close at hand.

Again, I don't mean to "diss" the X5T-HA. I like it and intend to keep it. It's a very nice piece. I think it's gonna be sort of a novelty light for me. Nice to own, look at, and handle, but it will probably not get a ton of active use.

Cheers,

Dave

ROYALTO

Newly Enlightened
I finally received mine the second time around. I am very happy with it. The HA3 finish looks great. In terms of power and use it reminds me of a brighter Opalec Newbeam that I use around the house and which is where I will be using this one also. It currently is using up the last juice out of some 123's that came out of another light. The only thing I don't like is that it will not stand up on end, but I knew that before I ordered it.

Al_Havemann

Enlightened
I have one and I carry it frequently (like now) and I find it has just the right mix of features to make it a favorite for daily use around the house or office.

It's not the brightest or smallest light but it has very long run time and more than adequate output. It's easy and comfortable to carry and has a flood beam makes it among the most useful of lights, perfect for close in work while still having plenty of throw for most other needs. It's also small enough that I can hold it in my teeth when I need both hands without feeling I should be the star in a low budget film.

Like others, I'll carry something else if I need more light, like my L4 or Streamlight, but the X5 still remains a favorite. True, it's not tactical, but then I rarely need that much light. With a Mag pocket clip snapped on the tail it clips into a side pocket and carries without calling attention to itself and I've had the same batteries in it for months now with no sign of fading.

I also have one of the older models without the tail switch that I actually prefer to the X5 since it will stand on it's tail. I have to twist the head to turn it on or off, but it moves easily and I can do it with one hand. It's almost as easy to use as the X5 and it's usually the one I carry.

IMHO, it's a fine, dependable, rugged little medium output light with great run time. I wouldn't sell either of mine.

Al

Arc_Light

Newly Enlightened
I keep one in each of my cars. It takes up very little space, and throws just enough light in a wide enough pattern to perform work which should have been taken care of at home and in daylight...

avusblue

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
avusblue said:
I got mine yesterday. The finish is very nice. But I agree with the above couple of posters about "where does this light fit in?" . . . . I like it and intend to keep it. It's a very nice piece. I think it's gonna be sort of a novelty light for me. Nice to own, look at, and handle, but it will probably not get a ton of active use.

Cheers,

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I changed my mind -- not about whether I like it (I do) but whether to keep it. I just know I will hardly ever use it despite it's aestetic beauty. So check over at B/S/T if you're interested in buying one, because mine is going up for sale.

Cheers,

Dave

J Smith

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies.
I will only need it for general use and it will be fine if it will through a beam 40 to 50 ft.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
40-50 feet? Perhaps in total pitch blackness with night adaped eyes, but otherwise I wouldn't try to use it at more than 15-20 feet or so. It's a flood light, not designed for throw at all.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
40-50 feet is a long shot for the X5... I agree w/ Quickbeam, maybe 25ft, but I think that's a stretch.

Deanster

Enlightened
So, after a couple weeks, my X5T-HA has found a place. I used to keep a ARC LSL w/twisty on my bedside table as my 'wander the house late at night' light for finding things, checking on kids, etc. I'd also used an Inova 24/7 for this use, where the 'low' setting was nice.

However, the LSL was small enough that it kept getting tossed in the pocket of whatever sweats I was wearing, and went missing until found in the wash.

The 24/7 was waaaay too attractive to the kids, and easy to turn on to all the various flashing modes - kept on getting removed from the bed stand, and turning up on the floor somewhere, still flashing away, but with battery well-used.

The X5T-HA puts out almost as much light as the LSL, a bit more than the 24/7 on high (I still miss the low mode, though), and it's big enough that it's not easily lost or shoved in a pocket and forgotten, easy to find on the bedstand, and the kids can't turn it on for more than a second using the momentary switch. Beam and brightness are perfect for inside the house mucking-about.

I also can't say enough about the quality of the HA finish on this light - I don't quite know what they do differently, but it seems especially thick, dense, and silky - perhaps just because it has no knurling, so you get vast expanses of just smooth HA, or maybe they just coated it extra-thick.

So, it's not my favorite light, not my best light, not what I grab when things go 'bump', not the light that I prefer, and not at the cutting edge, but it is, in the end, just right for a critical role as what may well be my most-used light.

Still vaguely confused about this light, but it's got my highest mark of trust - a glow-ring in the lanyard point.

nonbox

Banned
Initially I thought the X5T-HA didn't give off enough light but it is the light I use most. I rarely use my surefires now. I highly recommend the X5T-HA and the new 1 watt X5T will kick ***.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'd be surprised how how bright the weakest light is in a completely dark environment... Not saying that the X5 is weak... but you get the idea.

haley1

Enlightened
I use my X5T at work quite a bit for checking out vehicles, general use, ect. I think it's great for this, and it uses up the 123's from my 6Z. Someone mentioned they wish it could stand on end. An easy fix, a muzzle cap for an M-16 series rifle, available cheap at many gun stores, or free to military from the armory. Cut out the end of the cap and you can keep it on the light end. It's a good fit, very tight, but not so much it's hard to remove to put on the tail end to stand up. Also cut a red, or whatever color, lense to size, for colored filters. It works very well.

J Smith

Newly Enlightened
I got the need for 40 to 50 ft by the need to light the in side of transfer truck trailers.I think it will do fine for that because they are pitch black and enclosed.
Any way I got it and it looks great,brighter than I thought it would be and the 10 + hours run time will be nice.