Best/brightest 3.7V Bulb?

ubermensch

Enlightened
The type that goes into a Scorpion, the brightest I could find was 80 lumens. Isn't there anything brighter? I checked the WA spec sheets and didn't find anything promising. Please advise.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've played with the scorpion bulb in an attempt to make a rechargeable E2e. It comes nowhere near 80 lumens, either that or the E2e puts out over 100 lumens which I highly doubt. The Surefire A2 lamp is 3.7V if that helps any. I think the Pila 3.7V lamps are pretty good but they're lamp assemblies and don't come as "bulbs". If you want 80 lumens from 3.7V, those lamps will probably draw 2 to 3A so you need good batteries (Li-Ions or NiCad)

CM

Francois1

Newly Enlightened
Isn't the 9AN bulb (rated at 140 lumen) operating under 3.6 volts ? I've read somewhere that they are manufactured by WA. Of course it's a complete lamp assembly, but this means that what you are looking for actually exists.

ubermensch

Enlightened
I have a Wolf-Eyes 6T explorer coming, which runs off of a Pila 168A. The 3.7V Pila lamps are pricey ~$30 and include a reflector that some have suggested is sub-par (ruffed-up, not metalized). But my light has yet to arrive so I can't say for myself. I don't think the 168A will even fit in a scorpion, but I was just trying to brainstorm. The A2 uses the MA02 LA which is only 50 lumens. The 9AN is more expensive than the Pila, and would necessitate a new reflector (that I can't find for sale anywhere) and I don't know if the low beam would even function. Seems like I'll be a stock-parts boy forever. Thanks for the suggestions, lets keep 'um coming.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ubermensch said:
. . . I checked the WA spec sheets and didn't find anything promising. . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

Ubermensch,

My search some months ago to run a Pila in a 2x123 light led me to Carley 724 and 1047 xenon bulbs. They're described here.

Paul

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ubermensch said:
I have a Wolf-Eyes 6T explorer coming, which runs off of a Pila 168A. The 3.7V Pila lamps are pricey ~$30 and include a reflector that some have suggested is sub-par (ruffed-up, not metalized). But my light has yet to arrive so I can't say for myself. I don't think the 168A will even fit in a scorpion, but I was just trying to brainstorm. The A2 uses the MA02 LA which is only 50 lumens. The 9AN is more expensive than the Pila, and would necessitate a new reflector (that I can't find for sale anywhere) and I don't know if the low beam would even function. Seems like I'll be a stock-parts boy forever. Thanks for the suggestions, lets keep 'um coming.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd be pleasantly surprised by the Pilas when you compare them to the Surefire P60 lamp. The beam is no lesser in quantity or quality. The lamp assembly does look a bit cheaper but if it performs the same, then it doesn't really matter now doesn't it? My Pila converted M2 is getting tons more use now that it's eating Li-Ions instead of throwaways.The lamps are also not that expensive. Get them from JSBurly's or Performance Plus for around $20 or so shipped.

CM