Older Surefire Lexan Lens Dimensions Or Source

s1xty7

Newly Enlightened
I didn't see any recent threads with specifics, so if there is one, please point me to it.

With that said, I recently picked up an older Surefire 9P and 6Z with the round style bezels and Laser Products tail caps. Both Lexan lenses are slightly melted and I'd like to get replacements. There is an older Surefire Z17 lens kit on the auction site that will end up going for who knows what. I don't have good tools to make replacements so I'm hoping to get the dimensions to find an equivalent lens or a source for a replacement. Any help would be appreciated.

By the way, I called Surefire and they are sending out two newer style bezels if nothing else works. I told them I recently bought these and wanted to buy replacement lenses but they grabbed my shipping address and said they were in the mail, no charge. That's some outstanding customer service and will ensure I buy more of their lights in the future.

s1xty7

Newly Enlightened
I was bidding on that 6Z I think 🤔

It was a 6Z and 9P together that I put an offer on the seller accepted. It was only up for a couple of hours but maybe it's the same one.

As for flashlightlens(dot)com, I was looking there but their application guide only shows the newer hex bezel style. If I could get the dimensions for the older Z17 kit type lenses, that's who I was going to contact first. Problem is, I haven't seen exact measurements around. I believe one person said it was about 28mm x 1.5mm, but I can't confirm if that was true or not and ideally I could get a more precise answer. I might have to try and punch a lens out without breaking it and take some measurements. Thanks for the suggestion on a source.

s1xty7

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the link. I saw that one during my search but that is an early hex head and I don't know if the round body heads were the same dimension. It does state that is a Z17 bezel, which I believe the Z17 bezel kit works on the round heads as well so it's possible they are the same.

For reference, the dimensions stated in that thread are 28.3mm x 1/16" (1.5875mm).

I sent a message to flashlightlens(dot)com to see if they would make a lens with those dimensions.

Edit: As a side note, it appears you can buy replacement 28mm watch glass online but they are typically domed and made out of "mineral glass". The acrylic ones are only 1mm thick so maybe they would work with a thicker o-ring.

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
i measure such a lens with 28.35 mm ...
and the 1.6 mm also seems possible - my meter shows 1.8 (with the protective layers on both sides still on)

PS: when used with incan, noticeable melting occurs with just a few hours of use.
I would not hassle with changing the lens without need for it.

PPS: i remember vaguely that I have done this once. It needs a TREMENDOUS amount of force to get the glass out (will get damaged doing it) as well as getting the replacement in - with the chance of having the O-ring not seated nicely; so has to be done again, ..., usw.
--> I would not hassle with changing the lens without need for it.

s1xty7

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great info! I really appreciate the measurements!

I've picked up a M61WLL for the 6Z and a M31LL 219b for the 9P so both shouldn't get melty with those LED changes. The lens on the 6Z is already bubbled and shifts the hotspot quite a bit to the side. The 9P lens is just sort of melted but it distorts the beam and leaves artifacts that are very visible. Both will work as is, but I would eventually like to get the lenses changed. I understand that others have used dowels along with a nickel (that supposedly came in the Z17 lens kit) to make the change. I suppose I could always change the heads and set the old ones aside, but I already have newer Surefires for users so I'd prefer to keep these looking original.

Anyways, thanks again for the details. I haven't heard back from any of the contacts I reached out to except the guy on eBay said he'd look around to see if he had another Z17 kit but didn't think so. I would have thought some lens company somewhere would make them because there is still a need.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Sometimes Chris at flashlightlens gets busy and takes a while to answer back.

One thing I noticed was whenever I'd request a custom size I'd get a response back in a few days or less. He may even have some how to tips for replacing the lenses.