[Review+Teardown] Nitecore TIP2 - 2*XP-G3, micro-USB, magnetic quick release

bmengineer

Newly Enlightened
This is my favorite keychain light from Nitecore yet. The milled body looks and feels extremely solid, and very high quality. The magnets are convenient, and using them to hold the light on a keychain is just plain smart.

Although the UI isn't what I would normally want, it works very well for a small light like this. The only major downside for me is the LEDs - the XP-G3 has a reputation for tint shift in the beam, and this is no exception. If you aren't picky about that, this will be a great option for you. I am a bit picky, so I included a teardown and notes from my LED swap in this review.

I certainly hope Nitecore keeps making more keychain lights with this style of body. Click below to read the full review:
www.bmengineer.com/2019/05/nitecore-tip2.html

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review,mostly.

I agree with much of what you said here but then you glossed over the main feature that matters to me ,there is no lockout on this light and it will turn on in my pocket.

I am sure mine is not the only one too?

I am also not at all sure that the insane magnets will leave other things alone in pocket?
I have rarely experienced magnets in anything that are so strong and I am not sure when I would like to remove the tail from the head anyway unless I have to while charging the light which is a feature that they designed in here but I do not understand really?

Also you say there is finally a low.low mode but the TUP has the same exact low mode and has for a while.

I wanted to love this light so badly that it hurts me but the simple fact that it will not wait until I want it on to turn on kills the deal for me.

Last edited:

bmengineer

Newly Enlightened
there is no lockout on this light and it will turn on in my pocket.
It's possible, but setting the light on demo mode will turn it back off pretty quickly. I agree, a dedicated lockout would be nice.

I am also not at all sure that the insane magnets will leave other things alone in pocket?
They'll stick to anything metal in your pockets, yeah.

I have rarely experienced magnets in anything that are so strong and I am not sure when I would like to remove the tail from the head anyway unless I have to while charging the light which is a feature that they designed in here but I do not understand really?
I keep the light on my keychain, and I like being able to rip it off to hand to someone or use the magnets to stick it somewhere.

Also you say there is finally a low.low mode but the TUP has the same exact low mode and has for a while.
That was just in reference to many lights that don't have modes below 25 lumens, not a comparison to the TUP.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Demo mode only turns it off if you dont press a button first right?

My pocket turns it on in the first place and also while Demo mode is counting down.

This is a huge deal for me and I can not pocket carry this pocket light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmengineer

Newly Enlightened
Demo mode only turns it off if you dont press a button first right?

My pocket turns it on in the first place and also while Demo mode is counting down.

This is a huge deal for me and I can not pocket carry this pocket light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah so yours is turning on constantly? That would be a problem. Sorry to hear it!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk