Review: Nitecore TIP2 (2xXP-G3, micro USB charge, removable clip, EDC)

Budda

Enlightened
I received the Nitecore TIP2 for the review from Nitecore.

The TIP2 comes in this box
Nitecore_TIP2_01.jpg

Nitecore_TIP2_02.jpg

Nitecore_TIP2_03.jpg

The TIP2 looks like a squeezed version of the TIP, larger and thinner (62 mm x 27 mm x 14 mm)..
Nitecore_TIP2_05.jpg

Nitecore_TIP2_06.jpg

Nitecore_TIP2_21.jpg

From the single XP-G emitter of the TIP, the TIP2 gets 2 emitter with a plastic TIR optic
Nitecore_TIP2_09.jpg

Here with a BIC lighter (the smallest one).
Nitecore_TIP2_16.jpg

Like the TIP, it features a removable plastic body encasing which acts as a clip. It fits on both sides so you can have the clip on the side you prefer.
Nitecore_TIP2_07.jpg

Nitecore_TIP2_17.jpg

Nitecore_TIP2_18.jpg

There is also a blue LED indicator for the battery. Now, it has a separate window and does not glow under the switches.
Nitecore_TIP2_14.jpg

The back of the light is connected to the body via 2 strong neodymium magnets. You simply pull (with quite some force) and the two pieces come apart. To reconnect them, just put them back and the magnet will hold them back together.
Nitecore_TIP2_10.jpg

Nitecore_TIP2_11.jpg

Here you can see the 2 magnets and the micro USB charging port in the middle for the integrated 500mAh battery. The light can be used while charging.
Nitecore_TIP2_12.jpg

Nitecore_TIP2_13.jpg

The magnets are strong enough to keep the light on a metal surface even when kept on the side
Nitecore_TIP2_19.jpg

Nitecore_TIP2_20.jpg

Here with the TUP
Nitecore_TIP2_15.jpg

Defenetly a good looking light
Nitecore_TIP2_22.jpg

In the hand
Nitecore_TIP2_23.jpg

UI
Nitecore_TIP2_35.png

Beamshots at 0.5 m
Nitecore_TIP2_28.jpg

Nitecore_TIP2_29.jpg

Nitecore_TIP2_30.jpg

Nitecore_TIP2_31.jpg

Nitecore_TIP2_32.jpg

Nitecore_TIP2_33.jpg

Nitecore_TIP2_34.jpg

Output and runtime
Nitecore_TIP2_24.jpg

This is how I got this plot: I run the turbo mode until the light stepped down. Then I decided to reactivate the turbo (second peak), and when the stepdown happened, I immediately reactivated it (third peak).
Nitecore_TIP2_25.jpg

Nitecore_TIP2_26.jpg

Nitecore_TIP2_27.jpg

My thoughts
The light is well built and finished.
The levels are well spaced and the regulation is fine. The thermal regulation is there and it works.
I like the UI with direct access to highest mode.
The magnet system works well in practice and also acts as a cover for the micro USB port as well as for the magnets. No, it won't come undone easily, if you are asking that.
The clip-cover fits on the body snugly, it works well and it is IMHO much more elegant and discrete than the one on the TIP, while maintaining functionality. You can use it to clip the TIP2 to your clothes or to the visor of a baseball cap, making it an improvised headlamp.
There is no electronic lockout, although the switches are low profile and small, but you can choose between the daily and demo mode (which turns the light off after 30").

Nitecore took the already successful TIP and improved all that could be improved: better design and looks, better output, added thermal sensor, added detachable keychain feature.
I would like this light to come witha direct access to low mode, a neutral/warm tint, and to have an electronic lockout.

Thanks to: AntoLed, Zampa, Won.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
"I would like this light to come with a neutral/warm tint, and to have an electronic lockout."
I'd give a go as well, but will not hold my breath.

Not only do I agree with you but the lack of a lockout is the reason the light does not work for me at all.
Seems pretty silly to gloss over this too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
You said: "I like the UI with direct access to highest and lowest mode."

I'm pretty sure this is not true. I don't think there is direct access to the lowest mode. There is the first time you use it, but memory screws that up after one usage.

Budda

Enlightened
I believe you are right and I got confused with that aspect of the interface of the P18 that i was reviewing at the same time. As I always say in my reviews, I like the direct access to a low mode too… so I will have to put that into the wishlist at the end of the review.

The tintshift is present too on my sample (which beamshots are took at high mode), but it is very evident only on wall hunting at close distances. In real world use I don't think it makes an impact.
It would be better IMHO if the light was warm.