Lambertian/batwing/side-emitting???

jpeg

Enlightened
Lumileds offers LED's in these three configurations. What is the difference between them?

TheFire

Enlightened
Lambertian, or high dome, provide a more focused beam when used with the NX05 or Fraen LP optics. The batwing/lowdome provide a smaller hotspot and the Fraen LP optics don't provide much over the NX05. Side emitters do just that - emit sideways, and look like a funny hourglass shape. They're designed mainly for use with reflectors, and haven't made their way into too many mainstream flashlights yet.

just my $0.02

jpeg

Enlightened
Thanks Paul... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
That's exactly the info I needed.

Hirudin

Newly Enlightened
Howdy all, this is my first post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif
I've been reading lots of the forum for a few weeks now, and finally decided to join in.

I'm modifying a m&g (that's the correct terminology right?) 3D to use a luxeon 5w SE using Lambda's (older, smaller) heat sink (or heat transferer) and George's "Fatman" driver. I'm planning on putting a "pot" on, but I can't really visualize how I'll put it in until I get the rest of the parts.

I'm meticulously copying the m&g dimensions into a CAD drawing. I will also try my best to copy the shape of the reflector into the drawing (which will be pretty hard I think).

Anyway, I was wondering if someone here would do me a favor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'd like pictures of the beam pattern of the 3 different kinds of... beam patterns that luxeons have (Lambertian, Batwing, and Side Emitting of course). Keep in mind; I'd like a picture of the light coming out of the 'bulb' not the "radiation patterns" that are everywhere. The pictures I'm looking for would be simular to pics here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=571672&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

I haven't got mine yet, but I imagine the easiest way to do this would simply get a flat surface (a piece of card stock would be good), cut a small hole in the bottom middle (big enough for the luxeon to fit in. Then hold the card perpendicular to the led, turn the light on and snap a pic.

Here's a simple picture of what I'm talking about:
example.jpg