Intermittent Dropin, Surefire 6P

CRKDMike

Enlightened
So I purchased this host, pre bored for 18650 use. This is my first 6P.
I installed a Malkoff M61 in the head, and a flat top 18650.
After tightening everything as tight as I could with my hands, the dropin is still rattling around in the head, causing the connection to be unstable.
Something isn't right, but I thought that the M61N dropin was a plug and play solution!?
Is there something wrong with the host?
40be82a859beb297df2e0a2874b4d3c7.jpg

ded654119d3a3e1ca4ca175307c5f34c.jpg

573016ab1ac038b64d7de8620c304599.jpg

This is with the dropin installed, but no battery:

https://youtu.be/xFc9icAlWjU

And this is with the whole assembly:

https://youtu.be/LjqwTfnm9Us

archimedes

Flashaholic
The boring may have reduced the necessary contact surface ?

Also, "flat-top" cells may often be too short for firm contact with the stock spring.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wrap the dropin in alumnum foil, and stretch the spring a bit. Just give it a good tug, stetch it to 1/4-1/2" ~ish, or roughly 0.5-1cm..

I bet it's the spring isn't long enough without a button top.

CRKDMike

Enlightened
Wrap the dropin in alumnum foil, and stretch the spring a bit. Just give it a good tug, stetch it to 1/4-1/2" ~ish, or roughly 0.5-1cm..

I bet it's the spring isn't long enough without a button top.

Ok so the tin foil worked without me having to stretch the spring! Thanks DOT!

Is this common? Is there not a less "makeshift" way to fix this issue?

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not even sure why this part was even touched. This area has no effect on the acceptance of an 18650 battery. Maybe it was modified for a larger P60 pill? Or maybe it was modified so it can accept the P60 kits that uses the large outer spring to make contact?

altermann

Enlightened
I'm not even sure why this part was even touched. This area has no effect on the acceptance of an 18650 battery. Maybe it was modified for a larger P60 pill? Or maybe it was modified so it can accept the P60 kits that uses the large outer spring to make contact?

You didn't get what exactly
I mean small "ring" which in contact with "-"

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok so the tin foil worked without me having to stretch the spring! Thanks DOT!

Is this common? Is there not a less "makeshift" way to fix this issue?

I wrap all my dropins to tightly fit in tinfoil. Better heat sinking that way.

"Common" isn't exactly easy to say. There's a bit of variance with all P-60 stuff. Surefire lights tend to be aimed at fitting those massive spring assemblies that are required in some dropins (from what I have been told at least) so they have a bit more room around the base on something like an M61 dropin.

CRKDMike

Enlightened
I just noticed that the bezel retaining ring is proud of the head. Could it be that the window has not been set at the proper depth within the head?
Should the bezel ring be flush with the head?
9dfc749b34b3e392b41a0ad0a4a15f14.jpg

3266b76c0f8391f7322c6a05023d6a7f.jpg

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bexel's lens retaining ring shouldn't extend beyond the front edge of the bezel, but that's not what's causing the lack of electrical contact

When the bezel is screwed onto the body, the inner lip that the bezel ring rests against should contact the front surface of the drop-in before the rear surface of the bezel reaches the raised shoulder of the body. If the bezel contacts the body shoulder, then the drop-in won't be fully secured in place against the body's drop-in socket.

This is only a problem when the body is modified incorrectly, or as has been stated, modified for a different type of drop-in than a Malkoff. An example of bodies with extra large sockets is Solarforce.

CRKDMike

Enlightened
The bexel's lens retaining ring shouldn't extend beyond the front edge of the bezel, but that's not what's causing the lack of electrical contact

When the bezel is screwed onto the body, the inner lip that the bezel ring rests against should contact the front surface of the drop-in before the rear surface of the bezel reaches the raised shoulder of the body. If the bezel contacts the body shoulder, then the drop-in won't be fully secured in place against the body's drop-in socket.

This is only a problem when the body is modified incorrectly, or as has been stated, modified for a different type of drop-in than a Malkoff. An example of bodies with extra large sockets is Solarforce.

Gotcha. Well the tin foil is working perfectly. I'm not in love with having to use this method but it works for now.
Would the copper ring that overready sells, work in the same way?