living dangerously.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
So tonight I built a 3c mag hosted LUX III mod.
I received 6 TV0J LUX III's today and have been worried about how to host them since ordering. Not any more.
The beam color is just fine. On old "C" cells the thing pulls 1.3 amps from 2.2 volts for 2.86 watts. Direct Drive. Quite bright.
I wonder how this will do with FRESH "C" cells?
Well I will tell you. It does just fine. Sorry no current figures.
630e7768.jpg

This combo produces:
7180 LUX @ 1 meter with a sputtered reflector.
9870 LUX @ 1 meter with stock cut down reflector.
Both with a UCL. and fresh "C" cells
As measured on a LM-631

I know I should work up the current with fresh "C"'s. I am sure the emitter is a bit overdriven at least at first. Hey at least it didn't blow up on me.
Yaesumofo

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
It should be fine with 3 new C's, there are some Lux3's out there running on 3 D's...! So is that "glow powder" around the heatsink base? Very nice, I like the way you kept the Luxeon leads straight and bent the wires 90 degrees to solder onto them. Leaves some working length for later, when possibly even better Luxeons come out... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Very nice and clean. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Is that one of my reflectors? Wow, that's alot of lux lost with the sputtered reflectors. Is it normal for that much loss? Do you have a OP PMR to test?

The TV0J should hit about 1.6A on fresh alkies. I just built a 3D TV0J for TIN and it hit 1.8A so I added a little resistance.

thx

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a lot of current going through there. at 2.2 volts it's pulling 1.3amps!! So is the Vf 2.2 volts? I imagine that would be efficient off of a boost circiut!! or DD

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bet it's a typo (probably supposed to be 3.2V or more). 2.2V is below the turn-on threshold for InGaN based LEDs.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
ISSAC: Nope they are an old set of "C" 2.2 volts.
Mr BULK:It is the GLOW POWDER and Fingernail polish trick...it works. Thanks.
Dark: Yes it is one of yours. Yes I do have a OP PMR (wish I had more) I will do a comparson one of these days.
MTFD17: the Your TY0M is rated at between 3.99V - 4.23V
It will run fine in a 3"C"
Yaesumofo