3.5 mcp Thor bulb mod...

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello guys!

Just wanted to let you know a little mod I made to my Thor 3.5 mcp, I made a GY6.35 to H3 adaptor and got a 3400 lumen bulb /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif, I think it should be pulling a little more lumens since it is running on a AGM 7.2 Ah 12v (13.8v at rest) battery.

Here is how I made it, sorry but no pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Get a really good GY6.35 ceramic base with the insulated wires, three scrap H3 bulbs, and some high temperature(500+F) epoxy, and a dremel.

1 Remove the round metal disk base from the H3 bulbs
2 Use the dremmel to prepare the surface of the ceramic base and the H3 disks to be bonded with the epoxy.
3 Mix the epoxy and carefully coat the part of the dremeled H3 base that will contact the Ceramic base, align the H3 base to the GY6.35 base and press making sure it is centered and the rectangle space of the disk shows the insertion holes of the ceramic base.

Wait a few hours to cure and you are set, now you can install any bulb with a 6.35 bi-pin base, The other 2 H3 disks are used as spacers to adjust the bulb in or out to find the tightest spot, I used the 2(three with the epoxied one)to get a really tight focus.

I find this setup to be very practical because I can install any wattage bulb I need. I found a 3400 Lumen 12v 100w Philips bulb (FCR 7023) and it is a monster! it is about 30% brighter than the vector axial bulbs but only has 50 hour life, I can't wait to get the osram 62625 HLX to try out (Aurora's HOLA!)

I am considering to install 3 6v SLA's in series to get 18 volts. What bulbs should I try?

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Alex

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
One Word, BEAM SHOTS Ok well that was two. Sounds like a nice mod Alex and now you can just pop in what ever Bi-Pin ya wana try out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Check with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif Alpha Access and see if he can scrounge up one of these 100W Axial Filaments up fer ya.

DSC00172.JPG

Later
Sway

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Sway!

Got some model numbers for that bulb? What brand is it? Specs? Hope I can take some pics before and after of the mod, it is completely reversible! But not as bright as your Monster HID Blitz. BTW How is it doing?

Thanks!

Alex

Edit: Did an Alpha Access search but nothing came up, do you have an URL? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice mod, Alex,

I've been waiting for this one. So let me see if I've got this. You basically mounted the socket to the back of the round metal disc with the bulb cutout. Then you just connect the wires to the leads in your spotlight. Correct?

BTW, I think Sway is referring to a CPF member handle.

Forget about 18V. There isn't much bulbage in that range. Go right to 24V and I have some 10,000 lumen bulbs I can send you to try. Not much use to me because they are huge, but should be killer in a Thor. PM me if you're interested. If you take me up on this though, you might have to move up to something like a Cotronics ceramic adhesive. Epoxy will fry pretty quickly, but it might be worth trying.

Wilkey

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Wilkey!

You got that right, just need 1 disk and the epoxy, the bulbs seat almost at the same height as the H3, and just use more disks to adjust focus.

24 volts? hmmmm... let me think about it and I'll let you know, BTW would the plastic melt? The heat generated from the new bulb is pretty good. I don't know if the housing can whitstand the heat from the 24 volt one.

Thanks for the suggestion, you got me thinking mod again.
Alex

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah,
Can't really say about the meltage. Although Kenshiro used a sister bulb to the one I have and there is no indication he had problems in the "banana vector" body. Probably no need to sacrifice H3 bulbs. Sounds like if all you need is a disk, you could probably cut those from aluminum flashing. make as many as you need to achieve focus.

If you do this, I believe this would only be the second or third application of the 24V250W 10,000 lumen Osram bulb.

Wilkey

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
10,000 lumens from 24volt 250 watt bulb, I have a 275 watt 24 volt, I wounder what the lumens are from that?
I will look up the numbers after work today. are there any helpfull web sites for finding bulb specs ?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Draco,
The voltage and wattage alone are not good indicators of anything other than the broad range of light output. The output can vary two-fold for bulbs of the same power rating. Best to identify the specific bulb number and go from there.
Wilkey

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
ok here are the numbers on the bulb. It's a Osram HLX Xenophot 64656 FNT
24volts 275watts 10,000 lumens with a 75 hour life span.
It was heck finding the .pdf it was called LightingProgram-PO

I found this bulb unused in the trash at work a few years ago, it was a left over from a downsizing they had at my place of work. I wish I could have gotten more.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, that's bright one. I've got a half dozen of the 64655HLX, 24V, 250W 10KLu, 50-hour life.

So Alex, what do you think? Are you game?

Wilkey

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes!

Let me see how can I fit 2 SLA's in the Thor, Can someone post a pic of the mentioned bulb? Is it the same size and filament height of the Osram 64625?

Thnx!
Alex

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. It's substantially larger. I'll get you a measurement tonight.

Wilkey

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alex,
The 64625 has an overall length of 40mm with a LCL of 29.5mm. LCL is measured from the tip of the pins to the filament center. The 64655 has OL=51mm and LCL=32mm. Its capsule is both longer and bigger around.
Wilkey