Options/Recommendations for a "bigger" light

akula88

Enlightened
Options/Recommendations for a \"bigger\" light

Hi all,

I have a PR-T/DB917, Surefire 9N and SF Z3 . I am still looking for a larger light that has better throw and large hotspot than the above. I prefer this as LS-LED.

What would be my options -- either factory/garage manufactured or modded? I would need at least 100mtr solid throw with relatively good sidespills. I have no experience for the turbo versions of my SF. I'm also looking at SF L6. I don't like the size of a 3D Mag but Inretech 3x3 looks good. Also Hyperlumen's Tristar3x3.

What do you recommend?

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Options/Recommendations for a \"bigger\" light

I don't know about the others, but 100 meters is a stretch for the L6, which is my favorite light.

rhinobalsa

Newly Enlightened

Electrolumens tristar. The new one to come out soon will be either 3 or 4 c cells with (3) 1 watt or 3 watt led's. I've got money put aside for the 4 cell 3 x 3.
Gary

paulr

Flashaholic

I think LED lights just aren't in that class yet. The one that comes closest would be the Space Needle II. Otherwise, try something like a Tigerlight.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree with paulr, I don't think we're there yet.

While understand the Space Needle may meet your requirements it's my understanding this light was an experimental light and pretty much unobtainable. If I'm wrong I'm sure I will be quickly corrected.

Regardless, if you are interested in a production light look at Electolumens models. I believe the Tri-star's output is around 200 lumens, HOWEVER, while the light output is very good that doesn't mean it's throw is anyway comparible to a highly focused incandescent.

GregR

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast

This will give you close to what you are looking for:
SRTH.jpg

More details here

The L6 wont throw a spot nearly as far as you require but this setup comes close, as long as you have the time/patience/money. Even without the LED module, id highly recommend you get the SRTH for your Z3. It's performance coupled with the N2 lamp is very well regarded around these parts.

akula88

Enlightened

Kakster>Nice shootout! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I've seen that post a few days ago and ways drooling over those light! Where can you still get the SRTH? LPS?

Also, one of its application would require a prolonged usage ("night 'security' duty type"), so a rechargeable option would be nice. I'm not so sure yet if Z3+123extender could run 2 Pila 168s. Thermal issues are also a concern as life span could be shortened. I was attracted to LS-LED solutions since its is more voltage/battery flexible compared with the fixed-voltage incandecents.

...lastly... final cost is also a consideration.

Guys, I need more of your recommendations and preference

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Johnny,

I will refer you to Doug's (Quickbeam) output vs throw charts in the review section. If you are looking for 100 meters of throw, look for the lights that are showing 100 (or more) in the listing. I believe there are no LS LED lights on that list.

If you can accept a more modest throw of around 35 meters, I would suggest the HyperLux V. It can run on 2 Pila 150s for a rechargeable option. Craig (LED Museum) has a review of this light on his web site.

If you can accept a very robust incandescent light with a throw of 175 meters, I would suggest the TigerLight. It is also rechargeable with a little over an hour of run time.

Tom