Help Help.....Regulator for 3 Luxeon III's

gessner17

Enlightened
Help Help.....Regulator for 3 Luxeon III\'s

I have Light I am using, it is basically an Elektrolumens Tri star (3x3) but a bike version he made. I want to know what regulator would work with it. I think it needs 6v?? at 4 amps?? I am slightly new to this so I am open to any suggestions. Right now I am just using 4 alkline D's. Any help is appreciated.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Help Help.....Regulator for 3 Luxeon III\'s

you have a couple possibilities:

1) you can run them all in series with a boost ckt, but you'd have to custom build as far as i know... since you need to boost the voltage from 6V to around 10V to run 3 L3's in series... that's what i have in m y megalight.

2) The other possibility and would be a lot easier for a beginner... is to run 3 separate buck circuts... 6V supply running through the likes of a 'downboy' ... 3 of those in parallel to each emitter would let you get maximum power at the emitter.... i'd try to figure out a way to dial the brightness.

3) you could custom-build a power supply from power.national.com you just plug in the voltage you want in and out... you can run series or parallel... this design would be constant voltage v constant current design.

Device: LM2587
Design Requirements

VinMin = 4.00 V
VinMax = 6.00 V
Output#1
Vout=11.00V

Iout=1.00A

I ran a simiulation on that ckt,, should do exactly what want... typically the parts added up to about $15 including a pre-fab ckt board they have to put the parts on.