Environmentalists in your area

*Retired*
Do you get Environmentalists doing stuff like this in your area?

Extract:

FBI offers $50,000 reward for ELF leads
Federal agents are looking for fresh information on Earth Liberation Front arsons in Eugene and Glendale in 2001
Saturday, May 22, 2004
BRYAN DENSON

The FBI on Friday ramped up its investigation of an Earth Liberation Front cell, offering a $50,000 reward for information leading to the capture and conviction of the saboteurs who firebombed an Oregon tree farm and a Seattle horticulture center on May 21, 2001.

The Earth Liberation Front claimed responsibility for the arsons five days later. In an anonymous statement, the group wrote that the attacks were blows against genetic plant research at the University of Washington and against experimental poplars grown near Clatskanie that posed "an ecological nightmare" to the diversity of native forests.

Investigators linked the simultaneous firebombings and three previous arsons in Oregon -- at an auto dealership and a police substation in Eugene, and a lumber company in Glendale -- to a "signature" incendiary made of cheap digital timers and large containers of fuel. Damages totaled $7.4 million.

Federal authorities recently summoned at least two Eugene activists before a grand jury looking into one of those arsons: the March 30, 2001, firebombing of Romania Chevrolet, which caused $1 million damage.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1085227422317940.xml

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
True Environmentalists DO NOT condone violence or destruction. Please don't heap all of us into the extremist pile. Most of us understand that, progressive, environmental action actually enhances commerce.

Extremists exist in every category, for example, Bush's largest, lifetime, contributor was Ken (Enron) Lay. Cheney's Halliburton has been fined for huge taxpayer ripoffs supplying our troops in Iraq. Fortunately, most businesses are, mostly, honest.

Extreme Anti abortionists want no sex ed, or contraceptives made available and justify the murder of doctors and harassment of patients.

The extremist list is endless; witness the Mid East.

Lumping the extreme fringe with the pragmatic of any group will only continue to foster, continued, conflict and lack of progress.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Any truky concerned self-described environmentalist takes to heart the phrase "think globally, act locally;" and it usually starts with an examination of their own behavior and how to change that for the better long before prosletyzing others.

I think that many of the extremists out there are much like any extremist in college campus politics - out there for the attention and perks as much as to truly forward the cause.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
You just don't get much of that sort of thing here in Texas.

There's probably a better than average chance that one of the pickups driving by has a gun or three in it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Now know why it says "don't mess with Texas" all along the highways. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bill.H

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:

There's probably a better than average chance that one of the pickups driving by has a gun or three in it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I think these whackos (the same ones that burned the Hummers, right?) tend to stick mostly to the left coast.

[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
The word for these people is "terrorist" not "environmentalist."

[/ QUOTE ]

Darrell, I couldn't agree more!

Now, while we're on the subject of environmentalists, can someone explain this to me:

I recently read where the same groups that pushed to have wind power installed in the northwest are now fighting to have it shut down because the big blades are killing birds.
I only saw a small blurb on it and unfortunately I don't remember where I read it. Seems to me these people are now choosing to freeze to death in the dark. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
jayflash,
What is an enviromentalist? I mean what is the core of being an enviromentalist? What do you do? How do you think? I have talked to a few self described enviromentalist and all they wanted to do was bash Republicans. I never have gotten around politics with one and on to the root of thier message.

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
What is an enviromentalist? I mean what is the core of being an enviromentalist? What do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]
I know I wasn't asked (like that has ever stopped me), and I don't profess to know the "core of being an environmentalist" but I will give you what I think it is:

One who cares enough about humanity to want to preserve the planet that supports us.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:

[/ QUOTE ]My truck always has a minimum of one gun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Love Texas.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Thank you Darell. I dont mind you answering at all. I should have just thrown the question out there anyway. Maybe I am an enviromentalist according to your definition. But I have not met an enviromentalist yet who would think so.
I hunt animals for food that would other wise overpopulate and die. I never kill more than I need and I do not waste the meat. I would be the last person who would want to see an animal become extinct because of hunting. My family has always farmed. We always replinish the earth with good ol natural cow manure to make the soil more rich than it was before. We also bail hay and again replinish the soil with the same manure. Deer, groundhogs, rabbits, mice, and many other creatures use our fields for food. Then of course the hawks, owls, snakes, foxes, etc.. use the smaller animals for food. We have always burned wood for heat in the winter. We never cut strong trees, just the old or dead ones. Other healthier younger trees grow better after the old ones are thinned out. You cannot really tell we cut wood except for the few stumps you may come across in the woods. I am all for recycling. I recycle everything I can. I too want to preserve this planet for my children. But as I said I have not talked to an eviromentalist that thinks I am also an enviromentalist. So can anyone tell me what the difference is between me and an enviromentalist?

Darell

Flashaholic
Three things:

1. By my own definition, I consider myself to be an environmentalist.
2. You have now "talked" to an environmentalist who thinks that you are one also.
3. Can't answer your final question since it doesn't make any sense to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Thank you Darell /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif. I guess the eviromentalist I had talked to in the past were of the "extreme" kind.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif I did not notice until now that I was misspelling it. Forgot my "n" and my "s" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif. I guess it is bed time now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill.H said:...shut down [wind energy] because the big blades are killing birds[?]

Some of the very first wind energy towers had two features that were harmful to birds:
1. "Lattice work" style towers with lots of appealing landing sites for birds to roost drawing them into the area of the blades
2. Whole groups of towers positioned along migratory paths for birds funneling large populations of birds into the blades.

I know the wind farms in Iowa suffer from neither of these. The new tower designs are totally enclosed and smooth skinned offering no roosting sites.

I know off-shore wind energy in Nantucket Sound has been stalled by local "environmentalists" because in their opinion, it spoils the view. I'd ask them this... "Have you stopped using electricity?". If not... then where do you want to get it from?

Where we have good wind resources...it looks like the best choice to me.

BTW...IHMO, the wind farms are a thing of beauty in Iowa; large, slowing rotating blades...very peaceful and appealing.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
A day late but never a word short, I. In response to LifeNRA's query as to what constitutes an environmentalist (EV), most of us work quietly, often behind the scenes.

Many, like myself, have served on advisory committees for local or state government. I've done this for 30 years, donating my time, working within the system and with Republicans too. The EV committee that I served on helped my city to become the first one in Wisconsin to have a mandatory, but reasonable and effective, recycling program.

Many of us EV's drive four cylinder, standard transmission, cars rather than big PUT's who's boxes never carry cargo.

We insulate our homes, install high efficiency furnaces, solar panels, feed the compost heap, don't over water or fertilize or use pesticides and so on. We promote the planting of trees to increase property value while lowering energy costs for the protected houses.

I keep the, winter, house temperature no higher than 65 F if anyone is home and 58 F when unoccupied and at night. In the summer, a 20" box fan occupies the attic opening to force hot air out of the attic vents; we use one, window, AC unit only three to six times a season. The examples could go on but I, and other EV's, do try to walk the walk in many ways.

Bashing the Republicans is so much easier than criticizing the Other Party. Generally, the Right is willing to deficit spend our EV future in the name of immediate gratification (profits). Witness our current administration who's attempt at an energy policy was crafted, in secret, by big oil. If passed, this policy would be a 23 billion dollar giveaway to big energy producers and allow them to pollute more. This should come as no surprise because during W's tenure as governor, Texas became the most polluted state.

Good EV policies are good for our economy and health too. Many on the Right use the fraction of a % who are EV terrorists to describe the 99.9 of us who work toward rational, economically sound, EV policies.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
UH OH!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

This thread ain't got far to go!

I try to be good. That's the best I can offer!