WWII Memorial

B

Birmingham47

I wanted to start this post in conjunction w/ the WWII memorial (A Long overdue memorial by the way).
Read CNN Story

If you'd like, please post something in memory of a WWII vet and the greatest generation. Here's mine to start it off:

Leighton Lofton Andrews (My Grandfather)
Served on the USS New Jersey in WWII and Korea.

Donald L. Nilles (My Grandfather)
Served in the 3rd Army under Patton. (Battle of the Bulge)

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well i only got a few but most my family in that time seemed to go ok my grandfather wnet he has same nsame as me but he spells edd ed so it is ed gilbertson,,.gilbert gilbertson ,john aldan.there are others.but i aint sure of there names

naromtap

Enlightened
My father, Royal Engineers Bomb Disposal based in Cyprus, then as a fluent Greek speaker joined S.O.E & was dropped into Greece to direct the Andartes.

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Both of my Grandfathers built stuff for the war effort. Ships and Artillary Shells come to mind. Don't know of any WWII soldiers in my family tree.

My Heartfelt THANKS goes out to all of our armed forces past and present with a few exceptions. (Like the idiots at Abu Grahbe (sp?) prison).

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
God bless that generation. I know many WW2 Veterans and I have known many who are no longer with us. That generation is a generation of heroes.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
My father and maternal grandfather were in the war.

Dad, Billy Futrell, was in the Navy. He was on an APA (troop ship with landing craft), and was a machinist mate 3rd class. He was on the landing craft that took troops to the beach at Iwo Jima. Dad's ship was so severely damaged, it couldn't go back until the war was nearly over. They were in the middle of the Pacific, with a load of fresh troops, when Japan surrendered.

Grandpa, William Rhyner, was in the Army. He signed up in 1940 and never was shipped overseas. Might have been because of his age. He was discharged from Wright Patterson in 1946.

God Bless them ALL!!!

oldgrandpajack