Versalux 3Volt PR

Empath

Flashaholic
I just received my order for a couple of the Versalux 3volt LED bulbs from TechAss.com. It seems like I only ordered it a couple of days ago, and they've already arrived.

So far, I've only placed it into a couple of inexpensive two cell flashlights, and believe me, they're bright. The beam quality comes close to the quality of lens assisted beams like Brinkmann's Long Life or PT's Impact.

I'm really impressed. The docs say they're regulated to function until the power drops below .7 volts. That sounds as effective as the Arc AAA. I'm thinking of ordering another six of them. I think I'll even order a TEC 20, and turn it into something greater than the Attitude.

KenBar

Enlightened
I would be curious how much current it is pulling at 3 volts, then at 1.5 volts....if you have a way of measuring this.

Am I understanding correctly that it would pull each cell down to .35 volts? .7 total

I have not gotten around to ordering any yet.

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wolfman:
I would be curious how much current it is pulling at 3 volts, then at 1.5 volts....if you have a way of measuring this.

Am I understanding correctly that it would pull each cell down to .35 volts? .7 total

I have not gotten around to ordering any yet.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The extent of my testing was to replace one cell with a dummy battery, running it at 1.5 volts. I was able to discern a slight difference in output, but still plenty of light. The specs at http://www.techass.com/el/versalux/pr2/pr2.php show it using 190ma at 3 volts, and still functional down to .7 volts.

Short Circuit

Newly Enlightened
I bought 2 of the little VersaLux PR-2 units. All I can say is that they exceded expectations. Both were very bright (for a single 5mm LED) and the current was 112 MA and 102 MA using 2 new alkaline cells.

On the side of the PR base they are rated at 100 MA at 2.85 volts.

They work best with a deep reflector or an adjustable focus like the Mag-Lights.

They were mailed the day after I ordered them and I would order from them again.
grin.gif

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Just so you guys know, these are not regulated for constant light output (like the ARC AAA). Believe me, these bulbs are great and very bright and technology associates is a great company. Just don't order the bulbs thinking that they are regulated. They have a step-up so you can use these with 2 batteries, but that's all. Check out the thread on the manufacturer's forum.

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aragorn:
noooooooooooo its terrible with the tec 20 ihave both<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I received my Tec 20, and installed a Versalux in it. You're right. With the narrow beam reflector the Tec20 comes with, it's not to great. I installed the wide beam reflector, and it's great. It's a very worthwhile mod. A Tec 20, with wide beam reflector and a Versalux 2cell PR lamp.

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hotfoot:
Empath, wanna start another thread on the PR2?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, this one was started sometime back. We could continue on with it.
smile.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hotfoot:
hiya Empath,
I'd wholly agree with ya on the PR2, a little expensive - but it ROCKS! Care to share which eight lights you're using with the PR2s? I'm always on the lookout for the "perfect" host for one. Thanks!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PR Versalux Inventory and Application:

Streamlight Swivel Head Aluminum 2AA flashlight -
Sears retro chrome plated 2D ribbed flashlight (I think it sold for about $1.99 or $2.99)
It has an interesting dimpled reflector that diffuses the beam slightly, and would probably give several weeks constant use on the batteries before reduced output was noted.
Radio Shack 2AA aluminum flashlight. - Makes an excellent long throw light.
Garrity Glow-in-the-Dark 2AA flashlight - A good long throw application, but at close range accents a yellowed reduced output at the center of the beam. Easy to find in the dark, since the whole body glows in the dark.
A Walmart Sam's Choice 2AA rubberized flashlight - This light looks very similar to the Rayovac and Eveready 2AA industrial lights. Unlike the Rayovac and Eveready, which are rigid plastic, the Sam's Choice feels flexible, and says "made in USA on it". The Rayovac and Eveready are both made elsewhere. I haven't really been able to identify the manufacturer, but it's a well built light.
A Rayovac Prodigy 2AA available from Target - This is an attractive light available in green, silver, or blue(I think). It's semi faceted, which makes an interesting beam distribution, and an excellent application.

PT Tec20 modified - I call this one my moonlight walk light - (one of my most valued lights)
The reflector has been modified by coating it with silver glitter. Originally I coated it with about 7 or 8 coats of glitter fingernail polish. Since then I've modified my procedure. I coated the reflector with Elmer's Glue, and sprinkled the glitter on it, which provided an excellent coat. Once dried, I then added one coat of clear nail polish, which helps to hold the glitter intact and provided a useful smoothing action to the glitter.

The glitter diffuses the light evenly over the whole output area, and contains absolutely no hot beam. The lighting is very similar to the amount of light you get on a night lit by a full moon. For me, and totally dark outside areas it seems ideal.

Dorcy Translucent Frosted 4AA flashlight modified - I use this as a nightlight/battery burner. The 4AA battery holder is the same size of a D cell, and can be removed and replaced with a D cell. The battery burner aspect hasn't proven that great though, since it takes weeks-on-end for it to burn up a discharged-beyond-reasonable-use D cell. With the adaptor available at American Science and Surplus you can use any cell from a AAA to a D. The Versalux lamp is designed for 2 cell use, but still provides reasonable output down to .8 volts, so runs well with one cell. I've got the Dorcy light set up for two methods of use.

Method 1:
The reflector has had it's coating removed totally, and is transparent. The lens has a mirrored surface I cut from a flexible mirror available for school lockers with adhesive backing attached to the inside of the lens. The light reflects back into the translucent flashlight. The aluminum retainer ring for the lamp/reflector obstructs the light shining back into the body. I've drilled a bunch of 1/8 inch holes into the retainer ring, which allows plenty of light, similar to a screen, to shine back into the flashlight body. The translucent flashlight body (I chose a nearly clear purple) lights up instead of the shining a beam. It makes an excellent nightlight.

Method 2:
I've covered the lens with a glow-sheet material that glows in the dark. The beam shines diffused through the glow-sheet and reflects off the ceiling or wall very softly, and is hardly noticeable until your eyes are adjusted to the dark. It then provides a soft lighting enabling you to identify your surroundings in the room, while still maintaining sufficient darkness to avoid interfering with your sleep. If for some reason you consider the amount of light too great, you simple turn the light off, and the glow-sheet glows brilliant for hours as a guide-light similar to "Indiglo®", without emitting any interfering light.

That still leaves a Versalux lamp I don't devote to anything other than popping into lights to see how they do. The 2D or 2C cell Maglite gives an excellent long throw beam when focused down. For a really long throw try an Eveready 2D Industrial. If you've got a Batteries Plus nearby, they carry the Eveready 2D Industrial with their name as advertisement on it, and they sell them for only $3.77 each. It's not a bad flashlight, and a good value.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone think of a single cell AA flashlight rigged for a PR bulb? Maybe the Versalux with its 100 ma drain is a good way to use the low drain lithium 3.6V AA cells (120 ma recommended max continuous drain on SAFT cells. I ordered TekCells).

I intend to see what the cell will do in an Infinity if it will fit.(Brock said another brand was too thick for the Infinity.)

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I reacted to this string's comment that the PR base prints that it draws 100 ma at 2.85 V.

I now see that the TechAss link says it draws 190 ma at 3.0 V.

What regulation keeps it from ramping the voltage and amperage further if the batter(y)(ies) deliver > 3.0 volts.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Empath, that was a very informative (and extensive) inventory listing - thanks for the trouble posting it!

I particularly liked your glittery moonlight effort - it sounds like something I'd love to try too! Off to the stationery store I am to buy some glitter
smile.gif

Too bad about the Tec20, as in your case and aragorn. I was hoping too that it would do better. With my 3volt 4AA Energizer rubberized, I get better performance than out of a straight 2AA configuration, probably cause the voltage falls less. Noticed too that the PR2 does best in deep-reflectored flashlights. Looks the same in your case too.

I'll be getting another PR2 and host - will keep everyone here posted with posts and pix too.

Thanks again, Empath!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
cool.gif

franken2

Newly Enlightened
I also have a pair of those coming from techass, and want to try them in sears 2aa rubberized "tool light". those are great work lights. i.e. falling onto concrete from 6 ft. being a common occurence. they should hold up well.

franken2

Newly Enlightened
hah, thats funny hotfoot. a co-worker dropped a "cool blue" off of an order picker from about ten ft. and it bounced about a few times and rested totally unharmed. i wouldn't want to try this too many times with aluminum or plastic lights. let alone me or anyone else with it
shocked.gif
confused.gif