Using headlamps for night walking

cannon50

Newly Enlightened
Had to use my MadMax in my Nite Ize strap while working outside at night. When I put it at eye level I noticed lots of sparkling lights in the grass and knew it wasn't dew. I was shocked to find the incredible number of huge spiders where I had been walking. I saw frogs, spiders, lovebugs, and of course my dog with brightly reflected eyes when the light was at eye level at great distances. Away from eye level and the reflections diminished quickly. It looks like this type of carry is great for night travel through woods if you don't want to be surprised or if you are actually looking for tiny wildlife. Anyone else try this?

JanCPF

Enlightened
Exactly! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If you want to spot wildlife at night in the forest it's best to keep the light close to your eyes. That way the reflected light from *their* eyes goes directly into your eyes. However headlamps are a problem in the colder climate where I live, because my exhaled breath reflects the light thus blinding me. Instead I use a handheld light that I keep low, and when i want to spot wildlife I take it up next to the eyes.

Jan

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have noticed the spider eyes, too. It's pretty neat.

The negatives of using headlamps for walking include that headlamps tend to draw bugs to your face, although LEDs are not nearly as bad as incandescent for this. A lot of people also find that the shadowless light from a headlamp makes the variations of the terrain less visible compared to walking with a handheld light. I prefer a headlamp for most tasks, but not necessarily for walking outdoors.

juancho

Enlightened
I do a lot of night woods walking using a Tikka and an P T Aurora, but later I have been using a Infinity Ultra clipped to my cap's brim and I like it a lot.
Also have noticed the eyes of spiders, would that meant that they are more nocturnal than diurnal insects?
Thinking about that seems that all of their webs are made mostly at night.
Juan C.

Blikbok

Enlightened
Outdoors, 90% of my light usage is headlamps. I have become better at not looking directly at people when my light is on. I find the combination of the PT Aurora on Medium or Low beam and a hand-held torch to be perfect.

chumley

Enlightened
All of the comments so far are right on. The first time I used a headlamp for a long night hike, I used my PT Matrix in Death Valley. I soon found that it worked better off my head, held low in my hand. It was much easier to see the terrain that way.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also use headlamps a lot (naturally) but as mentioned above, they have their limitation:
bugs fly into your face (I especially liked that with my carbide headlamp when I smelled the burned bugs .-)
And when it is foggy, you blind yourself.
Some people say that depth deception is worse with a headlamp, but I'm used to it (and having no 3D vision at all!) and survived it up to now .-)

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do night hiking every week. I only use handheld on foggy night or humid summer. Headband is a bit too uncomfortable to wear on my sweaty head during humid summer:)

Alan