which will be brighter?

across the pond

Newly Enlightened
My R4K 1W or a typical 3W (S/T bins seem to be popular) if both are driven approx 700mA?

Also, is it ok to direct drive a K vf on 3 cells?

Cheers,
Derek

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your 1w will be brighter than a S bin 3w@700mA, IMO.
I replaced a yellow Q3J in a KL1 modded for 700mA, and tried a SWAM, and now have a SWOK in there. The Q3J had horrible color, but was noticeably brighter than either of them.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, your LuxIIIs will be brighter than the R2K if both are driven at the same current (eg 700mA). T binned LuxeonIII has a flux range of 67+ lumens, comparing this with ~40 to 51 lumens for the R.

I would DD the K Vf LED. Just make sure it is heatsunk properly.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
An R bin 1W puts out between 39.8 and 51.7 lumens at 350 mA. Based on some people's experiments here a 1W driven to 700 mA and well heat-sinked will put out about 65% more light than it puts out at 350 mA, or in this case between roughly 65 and 85 lumens. An S bin 3W puts out between 60 and 67.2 lumens at 700 mA while the T bin puts out between 67.2 and 87.4 lumens. Short answer is it will probably put out more than an S bin but probably not more than a T bin, although that possibility exists also. The 1Ws that make it to the R bin probably just barely do so as they need an efficiency of at least about 35 lm/W. A 1W that falls towards the high end of the R bin would need to reach 45 or so lm/W, and I haven't heard of any currently produced Luxeons being this efficient. Therefore, it's likely that at best an R bin 1W falls in the middle of the bin (~45 lm), which means it puts out about 75 lm at 700 mA. An average T bin 3W probably falls around there, so the only way an R bin 1W beats a T bin 3W at 700 mA is when you have an exceptional R bin and a mediocre T bin. I would say in most cases any T bin 3W beats an R bin 1W.

While on the subject of bins, has anyone here seen an S bin 1W or a U bin 3W?