Doughnuts anyone?

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was a thread in this section about the SF L2 and doughnut holes in the beam, a classic 5W LED problem. I just got a KL4 head which is a 5W but has no hole in the beam.

I have a McLux PR 5W which has a hole in it's beam. Maybe I don't know for sure what the poster meant by "dougnut hole" in the beam but mine looked more like a MagLite with a unfocused beam or the reflector was too far back.

I removed the lens cap, slipped the reflector out a bit and turned the light ON. The hole was gone!

I used some 1/32" gasket paper to make a shim and installed it under the reflector. I like the results much better.

I bought this head from a fellow CPF'r here. I've never built a head yet. Is the position of the LED to reflector preset, different by LEDs, something overlooked, etc?

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The donut hole is normal with a 5 watt in a PR. The shim you used is the correct answer. You might try shims with different thickness to find the best focus for a 5 watt Luxeon.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Hoghead said:
The donut hole is normal with a 5 watt in a PR. The shim you used is the correct answer. You might try shims with different thickness to find the best focus for a 5 watt Luxeon.

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting that PDFs about assembling a PR/T head don't mention anything about focusing the beam at all. The beam is improved a lot by doing so.

This doesn't happen with a 1W I assume? I wonder why?

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The 1 watt and the Luxeon III don't have donut holes.

The "point of light" is larger for a 5 watt than a 1 watt or a Lux3.

If you shine your 5 watt PR at a wall and move it closer you will find that there is still a hole there. Mine have a hole at about 6 inches, but it disappears at 8 inches. If you use shims of different thickness this distance will change.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 5w is actually uses four 1w dies, so there are four light sources instead of one (as in a 1w or Lux3). This means each is slightly off center and can focus/defocus into the doughnut pattern mentioned bout.

That's one of the nice things about the PM6/McModule mods - the reflector can be adjusted without using shims - just turn the head a bit! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jon

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
StoneDog said:
The 5w is actually uses four 1w dies, so there are four light sources instead of one (as in a 1w or Lux3). This means each is slightly off center and can focus/defocus into the doughnut pattern mentioned bout.

That's one of the nice things about the PM6/McModule mods - the reflector can be adjusted without using shims - just turn the head a bit! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jon

[/ QUOTE ]
If you shine it close to a wall you see four lobes like you mentioned. I see now! I also still see a spot from looking at a bright spot on the wall too long. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif