If a bulb is listed as "4 cell" ...

JohnnyB

Newly Enlightened
If a bulb is listed as \"4 cell\" ...

does that mean 4 alkaline (at 1.5v)? I looked at the Radio Shack bulbs and they are listed by voltage, but the maag replacement bulbs do not have voltages listed, just number of "cells".

I have a 5 1/2 D stick I'd like to try in my 3D light. Should I try the 4 cell bulb? (4 alks = 6v, 5 1/2 Nicad = 6v)

Thanks

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Re: If a bulb is listed as \"4 cell\" ...

JohnnyB,

You have it right.

The 4 cell bulbs are the bulbs that will be driven at spec.

If you want to overdrive the bulb you could use a 3 cell Krypton. This would be brighter, but bulb life will be shorter. Krypton bulbs can take some amount of overdriving.

If you use Xenon bulbs I would recommend that you don't overdrive them. Xenon doesn't take overdriving very well if at all.

You might want to try 3 & 4 cell Krypton and a 4 cell Xenon.
I understand HomeDepot has the Mag-Num Star Xenon C/D replacement lamps(4 cell) or you can order them from Flashlight King . Walmart should also have 3 & 4 cell Krypton bulbs.

JohnnyB

Newly Enlightened

Hoghead, thank you very much.

A few weeks ago I bought a 2 cell, 3 cell, and 4 cell "Magnum star" xenon bulb. I put the 2 cell in my sons Boy Scout flashlight, not really any better than the krypton.

I put the 3 cell, in my 3D/with 4 C cell mag, and it popped instantly. ( the 3 cell krypton was doing fine).

I then put the 4 cell in and it is working, although, no great improvement over the 3 cell krypton.

I will throw my 5 1/2 D stick in and see now.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

With Krypton bulb you can usually over drive them by one cell. The 2 cell will flash on three cells, but once you get past that it should work. By the time you're using a five cell bulb in a six cell light the percentage of over drive is much smaller and overdriving is much safer.