How Do I tell when my AAA is in Moon mode ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexro

Enlightened
Try putting in a used up battery. If it lights up very dimly, that's moon mode /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Otherwise, I have no idea how to describe it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Moon mode is so dim, that in normal light you can barely tell that the led is lit. "Slightly dimmer" is just the battery voltage getting lower. There is still lots of life left. Moon mode is almost useless. When you hit moon mode, shut off the light and wait a minute for the cell to recover, and you will have a fair amount of normal mode left. The Arc aaa is capable of operating normally on a remarkably weak battery.

Marked

Enlightened
How Do I tell when my AAA is in Moon mode ?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif It drops it's pants.

Eric_M

Enlightened
Hold it up to a wolf and see if it howles. If it does, it's in moon mode.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Despite Arc's deservedly great reputation, I always considered it a bit of false advertising to state a moon mode for the AAA. The light is only semi-regulated. It has a slower but steady drain curve, just much less pronounced then an unregulated light. To decide when it is in moon mode is arbitrarily up to the user. Now with an Arc LS (don't own a Arc4), you can definitely tell when it is in moon mode as it falls out of regulation quite quickly.

I can't wait for the Lithium AAA's. Because of the low current consumption, I doubt it will extend the battery life significantly but I'm hoping it will flatten out the semi-regulated drain curve.

paulr

Flashaholic
It seems to me that the AAA really does have a moon mode, that it enters rather suddenly. That moon mode is extremely dim. It's better than nothing in total blackness when you're dark adapted, but otherwise is basically useless. This is in contrast with the Arc LS, which drops to about Arc AAA level in moon mode and is quite usable that way.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, yesterday my Arc AAA was running in a dim, but usable mode. Then when I turned it off and back on, it didnt work. Restd it for a few mins, tried again, it lit. Same thing happened today, only it wouldn't relight. New batt= prob solved. So the batt is TOTALLY wiped? Also, what voltages will the AAA go into moon mode and then "dead" mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.