Went a little nuts on a LED buying spree........

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
nothing fancy save the one, but basically:

UPS brung my CC gov't CMG infinity ultra. darker OD green, no lanyard, but a clip. light's the same, this one s'a smidge brighter, if at all. this i think is my fav light. not the brightest, but easy to use, tuff just a good fit for me.

all three dorcy MM looking dude's: single AAA, single AA w/3leds' and 2AA 4led. had to return the 2AA twice, no o ring on first, next one, stripped or bad machined tail cap.

shoddy built real good power. all three exceed what i thought I would get. the 4-LED/2/AA is about as much light as I would ever need.

Garrity K-9 aluminium. i ended up with three of these! my best friend got one after he had seen my small collection of light's.
(and called me a flashlite nerd whenever he could,then saw this forum and said" ch***t you mean to tell me there are other light's nerd's like you?! well, now he's on his way, he got a PT ecplise, K-9, and brinkman something, pretty bright)

Anyhoo, then I went out that night and got one @ wally world, 2 days later He bought me one as a gift. the next day, i told my girl friend about it while in wally's again, and being french didn't quite get the part of " i already got two" as "we should get two for us" so I now have two titanium and one black.
I like these light's! maybe not super powerful, but pretty good, seem tough enough, and has a very tight/bright beam i dig. I hadn't seen a narrow LED yet, aside from the top o line arc and inova. should hold me over till i can get an arc 4+-P. (hey, maybe i can get another screwed up english/french translation of " i really need a +4-p, lsh-p, and one each premium AAA and AA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif) for $12.77 i think there great lite's, concidering how much better made they are then the dorcy at almost half the price of a dorcy 2/AA. now having three to play with, i noticed one is a little less bright, I know led's vary, and that's why had picked ones from the better companies are more consistent, but could it be the batteries, since there cheapo alkalines? no big deal, just a tad less bright and symetrical

Next up a pelican L1. little single/w coin batt's and lanyard, and colored lense's. bright lilttle sucker! i read on the brock's review site it's overdriven, so there ya go.
I know it doesn't really matter, but I do like the aluminium cases's, I know plastic ploy is tuff, but it's a learned response from yr's with mini mags. it's beam is pretty diffused, and it's not that ergonomic, but i think it will do fine in a guitar case if i forget my ultra or K-9, but for 13$ i guess i expected more.(local harware store, i am sure it's cheaper on a CPF banner retailer, but i was there and so was it.)

last, i ordered a TerraLUX MiniSTAR2 drop in. i was torn between the optalec (SP?) but the spec's, luxeon LED, and ability to still adjust the spot to flood, not much as a std MM, but a little sold me. may still get a NewBeam opalec.

so there's my sordid tale how'd I do on the bottom feeder LED's? what about my drop in choice? ok for the $$. any other good sugested light's? VDG

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
bump for the newbie. just want to hear some feedback on this level of LED's. VDG

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bump one more time, just to get a idea of what these makes of light's are like! VDG

greenLED

Flashaholic
Re: Went a little nuts on a LED buying spree......

I like my Ultra-G so far!

You might want to try a sammie from dat2zip's shoppe so you can compare yourself against the TerraLux. For sheer brighness and beam quality I like the sammies better.

I don't like the Dorcy's.

Welcome to CPF

lightbox

Newly Enlightened

haha, you're going to be in trouble when you get into the expensive stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast

I m searching like crazy for Dorcys 2 AA, cuz of the gold color.
Got some comparable lights here (silver, poor workmanship, but from Aluminium and smaller than a MiniMag, and CHEAP !!).
What You said about the 2AA Dorcys even convinces me more, than the silver ones are built buy them, but sold here under importers name.

Should they ever be reasonable priced online (= max. $ 10,--) I surely will order some
(als well as 2Cs and the 4AA)

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ah, you've got the bug now...no turning back!

If you're interested, I have a review of the 2AA 4LED Dorcy on my reviews page here: http://zelandeth.artamir.org/cpf Good little light, build quality ain't at Surefire levels, but in terms of value for money, I don't think there's anything out there to beat them just now.

Hope this if of interest.

On the same note, if you're looking for a way into the slightly more powerful LED lights, but without having to pay TOO much, a lot of Nuwai's lights are worth a look, all of those I've seen have been of good quality, unexpectedly bright, and good value. The beam quality can sometimes be a little less than great, but always usable.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Not sure what a Garrity K9 is, unless it's the 3AAA Focused 1LED that's built like a tank.

The Dorcy lights are the Slam Bang deal of the Century on cheap bright LED lights!

I have several 1AAA (amazing how they vary in beam quality), 1 1AA, 1 2AA and 1 2C. They are all AWESOME for what I paid!

My Infinity is an Ultra, not G. It is nice and long running.

I didn't get everything within days however!!!

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

yeah guy's it's like putting a needle in your arm!I bought or obtained 10 light's in two day's!! i am hooked! hell i just took ,,oh i bet near 2hr's reading the Nuwai thread that was like 60 pages long! and since I have a thread currently asking about longbow micra's arc's and FFII's some suggested that thread.

OH! and found the local police supplier carry's inova, streamlight and pelican! so of course i bought a inova x1 cool spot very useful. I'm doomed. (BTW i saw the pelican refered on the nuwali thread as a "PM6" the catalogue show's a cool "M6" same light?)
Yes the K9 is the single LED aluminum 3AAA bad boy. it does feel very solid,, enough to beat a drummer into submission.
I love my ultra's too, honestly the gov't stamp is cool and all but it's the same light.

the dorcy's are a real good BFTB. I did have the two that were bad (no 0-ring on the tail of the red one, and the grey one had a badly machined tail switch)
I'll report monday on the MM terralux I know there are a few better, but it sounded like a good "gateway" dru,,,er,, light module. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

The nuwali sounds sweet!ESP for the $$$.BTW, were do i order these If i decide on one? mark2 still? or is there a U.S. distributor yet? Oh, and didn't mean any disrepect to Arc or FF, just have been reading so much on CPF that I had seen the same issues pop up a good bit.
And like everyone I bet, I want a small'ish luxeon 123 with tones of brightness. the cost of some light's isn't as big a deal to me, if it's hand made and bullitt proof. I use 3-4000 dollar amplifier's, and 2k to 10k(vintage fender guitar) guitar's so I do feel you get what you pay for.....

Skeaking of which the sexiest light's i think are the surfire! I want about 10 different model's and a 8ax or 9ax to share duty with my 15 yr old magcharger (still my badist "badass" light)

Also the WD40 on the o-ring? bad? not too bad? i think i read silicone grease is best. yes no?
Well i guess keep them coming it's just money you pusher men /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif peace. VDG