Lightwave 4000

tibim

Newly Enlightened
Just got ahold of one of these and I'm somewhat disapointed.

The beam has very little circular properties, it's more of a sloppy sort of oval. Even for a "flood" light, I would expect the beam to be somewhat more defined and tighter than this.

Now the light color... From any distance(1" to the point where you can't see the light anymore), distinct blueish dots are visible in the beam pattern coming from each LED, except for the two middle ones.
mad.gif

This can't be normal.

I was looking at pictures of the beam at LEDMUSUEM and it looks completely different from mine; it's a circular, well defined, even, white(without bluish dots) beam.

Mine is nothing like this.

Upon visual inspection of the front of the light I noticed the two middle LEDs don't stick out as much as the rest of the LEDs. I tried to physically push the LEDs around, but they don't budge, so I don't believe it's damaged(Nothing is loose, anyway). Is it normal for the middle LEDs to be slightly further in than the rest?
confused.gif

What's the deal? Did I get a dud, or are they supposed to be like this? Kind of disapointing overall. It's really only good for viewing things less than 3-4 feet away, and then, still, the bluish discolorations in the light are distracting and annoying. I wouldn't mind if the entire light output was tinted bluish, but these "dots" just don't seem right.

If futher investigation is needed, I can try to get some pictures of it with my digital camera.

-tibim

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Well, if I can find any "D" cells around here, I'll take a look at mine... {relieving 3-D Mag of batteries...}

Nope, I don't get any spots at all, not even at close range on a white surface. The beam is round and even, with a slight bluish tint towards the center. The beam itself has a decent "throw", and lit up a corner hutch quite well at around 20 feet (distance from this chair to the hutch in the bedroom).
All of the LEDs appear to be mounted in an identical manner; none stick up or are recessed any farther than the others.

Although I can't tell for 100% certain without seeing your unit, my guess is that you got a bum one and should arrange to have it replaced.

tibim

Newly Enlightened
Led Museum,

Thanks for your quick reply. I was really quite mad and disapointed when I recieved this light. Good to know it's not supposed to perform like this. Great site, by the way. Spent hours upon hours reading all your excellent reviews... Although I got a dud, it's what lead me to the lightwave 4000 in the first place.

I'm trying to arrange a return with the place I bought it from(toolcraze.com)... Hopefully it will work out(Although I'll probably lose on shipping *sigh*)

Anyway, here are some pictures I took of the beam.

dim0133.JPG

This image is only from a few inches away. You can see how non-compact the beam is already from this close distance, and of course the blue dots. Any more than about 4-5 feet away from the wall, and there is no more "beam"(no circle of light concentration)... just light spreading out all over the wall.

dim0134.JPG

Picture 2. About 1-2 feet from the wall. Actually looks quite circular in this picture, although in real life it's much worse. Can easily see the blue dots again.

dim0141.JPG

Image 3, Another one. Same distance, same wall.. different angle. You can see how the blue dots are somewhat random.(There is that darker blue one in the top right corner)
dim0143.JPG

Image 4, I turned the lights on. This is about 3-4 feet away. All you can see now is JUST the blue. It's actually the brightest part of the beam. Quite pathetic. In real life it doesn't show up so well... could barely see anything on the wall at all with the lights on from this distance.

Now I have a crappy 6 year old digital camera. With a real flashlight, I figure I shouldn't even be able to get a decent clear picture of the beam without a fancier camera that I can adjust the exposure on.

The brightest part of the beam is definately not the center. It's the area around it, the "circle" of blue dots.

Has to be a dud, right? PLEASE tell me so!! I could be really disapointed if this were the latest and greatest LED technology. My brinkman longlife was almost brighter!(And definately a much tighter beam!)
mad.gif

Thanks, enjoy the pictures
tongue.gif

-tibim

Image hosting provided by Stratius Communications

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tibim:
Led Museum,

Thanks for your quick reply. I was really quite mad and disapointed when I recieved this light. Good to know it's not supposed to perform like this[...]
Anyway, here are some pictures I took of the beam.
dim0133.JPG

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man, that is NASTY with a capital N-A-S-T and Y!! That is just disgusting!!! If I didn't know any better, I'd guess that this one was sabotaged by somebody along the pipes, like a disgruntled employee somewhere between Lightwave Industries and your house.
mad.gif
tongue.gif
frown.gif
tongue.gif
mad.gif

If you don't mind, I'm going to forward these photos to Mr. Moen at Lightwave and see what he has to say about this.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tibim:
Definately a dud, right? PLEASE tell me so!! This can't be the latest and greatest LED technology<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is the worst LED beam configuration I've ever seen in an LED flashlight. It's even worse than the early PLW-3 when they first went to narrow beam LEDs. Yuck!! I wouldn't even use that thing to illuminate a toilet!

I'm leaving right now to go write a letter to Mr. Moen. I'm sure he will be very interested in this, because this is simply unconscienable (sp) and things like this must not be allowed to slip through QC.

(Edit): I just e-mailed Mr. Moen these photos and tagged the message as highest priority. You left no e-mail address on CPF so I don't know how he will contact you.

tibim

Newly Enlightened
Sounds great to me, I'd like to know what's up as well!
rolleyes.gif

Unfortunatley, due to camera limitations, I wasn't able to take a good picture of the LEDs themselves. However, as I said before, the two in the middle are further in than all the rest. Also strange.

Anyway, let me know what they say. And if they want the flashlight, tell me ASAP before I send it back to Toolcraze.

-tibim

D

**DONOTDELETE**

wow, the only thing that could be worse than the light you got is probably one with burnt out LEDs! I got a defective light just recentely too, it was a photon 3... the secondary switch doesn't work , but the momentary on switch does.... and yes I pulled the tab. I feel your pain.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you try another set of fresh batteries?

Maybe, for some reason, you have weak batteries (even if you just opened them up).

Go source another set of batteries from another store, and try them.

This might be a quick fix, before sending out the light.

tibim

Newly Enlightened
I suspected this in the beginning, so I've tested them already.

Measured the batteries with a multimeter and also put them in another flashlight(Maglite 3D).

The batteries seem perfectly healthy.

Anyway, after thinking about it, I don't know how that could be the issue. The problem is the beam characteristics. No matter how bright or dim the LEDs are due to the battery, the beam is still going to have that oval look with the blue dots in it. I compare this particular LW4000 with a 3D Maglite that has the lens taken off("candle mode"). The beam is just about as wide and ineffective at distances over 4-5 feet. And don't forget about the blue dots.

Physically, the only thing I notice with the LW4000 head is that the two middle LEDs are further in than the rest. Other
wise it looks perfectly fine. The plastic they are mounted in is not distorted and the LEDs are not loose in any way.

-tibim

Big Tex

Enlightened
Yep, looks like you got a lemon. I checked the leds on mine and they are all level. I'm really pleased with mine. I'm sure they will replace it for you.

tibim

Newly Enlightened
Another question...

From everybody's experience, do the batteries in your LW4000 jiggle around when you shake the light? Mine do. I seem to remember
reading somewhere(quite likely on Led Museum) that either the LW3000 or LW4000 were very solid and had no battery rattle.

Just wondering.

-tibim

busbar

Newly Enlightened
tibim, advertise it on ebay for $600 as an LW4000-UF, with the secret multi-lingual flying-saucer homing function.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Another question...

From everybody's experience, do the batteries in your LW4000 jiggle around when you shake the light? Mine do
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm guessing it may have a lot to do with the brand of batteries used. I get a *very slight*, non-annoyance rattle with Radio Shack D cells, but if I remember correctly, no rattel at all with one of the two major brands (don't remember if it was the coppertop or the rabbit).

(Edit): Just checked my site, and there was no mention of rattle at all on the LW4000. If rattle had been noticeable, it would have been mentioned on the site. I'll try with different battery brands at my next opportunity.

tibim

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, mine has a pretty moderate battery rattle. Quite annoying, makes it feel less solid and cheap(Hooray for "Made in China"!).

The batteries I have in it are Duracell Coppertops. I've also tried with Eveready and they still rattle.

I think my light is a dud in every way possible.
mad.gif

The thought that it's not an authentic Lightwave has run through my mind a few times. Looks authentic as far as I can tell though(from comparing it with pictures on the internet). I guess we'll find out for sure when I send it back to Lightwave.

-tibim *Eagarly awaiting Chris Moen's email*
tongue.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

-tibim *Eagarly awaiting Chris Moen's email*
tongue.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You did write to him like I recommended, didn't you? He may be waiting to hear from you, rather than the other way around.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, mine has a pretty moderate battery rattle. Quite annoying, makes it feel less solid and cheap(Hooray for "Made in China"!). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

tibim, would you elaborate what "hooray" means?

Alan

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The rattle in mine is what I would consider minor and non-annoying.

Contrast that to another popular series of multiple LED lights that use "C" batteries and have transparent ribbed twist-on/twist-off bezels; they rattle like maracas when shaken.
blush.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
For good measure, mine is solid - no battery rattle, good round pattern and no blue dots.

lw_vs_x5.jpg

Lightwave 4000, Lightwave 3000, Inova X5, Lightwave 2000

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Quickbeam:
For good measure, mine is solid - no battery rattle, good round pattern and no blue dots.

lw_vs_x5.jpg

Lightwave 4000, Lightwave 3000, Inova X5, Lightwave 2000
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doug,

Superior photos! Would you please explain how you created the white LED configuration mini-photos.

Brightnorm

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, those "mini-photos" were an accident!
blush.gif
It's a reflection of the LEDs off of the clear plastic ruler. I thought it looked pretty neat so I kept them instead of retaking the photos.

More beam comparisons HERE if you want to check them out.
smile.gif