Guilty Pleasure

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'm feeling just a wee bit guilty today. You see, yesterday I received one the Peak AAA single red LED brass prototypes. It's nice and bright and the brass is great. It's just so much like an Arc, right down to the knurling which is identical to my Arc AA. Sort of makes me feel a little traitorous, but only a little. I guess the one I got is enough different from any Arc offerings that I shouldn't be bothered. And, it is such a good deal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

DharmaBum

Newly Enlightened
It's a great deal. Evidently for a while Peak was doing the machine work for Arc (or maybe it's the other way around... I think the story is probably laid out somewhere here) and so the bodies of the AAA single LED lights are IDENTICAL on the two lights. The differences I found with mine:
1) The LED is longer on the Peak and on some it extends past the edge of the head.
2) No foamy thingie in the body to reduce battery rattle (make one yourself).

And, of course, the brightness isn't the same because of the difference in opinion on how hard to drive LEDs. The Peak is great, especially for $14.95 second day.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The LED on this Peak does extend just a hair past the bezel. I suppose this provides a bit more spill. Also, it's a little off center. I'm surprised how much throw this has for a red LED. The hot spot is kind of diamond shaped and can be easily seen on a white wall at forty feet. It's also brighter than my Derringer's red LED at high power. Best of all, though, is that smell of brass. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif