Greenies - who\'s got em

Ok - Its time to fess up people.

If ya got a greenie please post the following:

What model you got?
Where ya got it from?
How much did it come to in cost?
The reason ya got it?
Any problems you have has it?
Any issues you had with the dealer you got it from?
Any thing you would like to add?

I will start off
BTG-1 (the cheaper one) http://z-bolt.com
$322 CAD (laser+shipping+duties/taxes)
To mount it to a P90 airsoft gun.
The switch is getting a little finicky.
They said 7-14 days shipping - it took 15
smile.gif

Man these lasers ROCK!!!

Darell

Flashaholic
Re: Greenies - who\'s got em

Same unit as yours from the same place. About $170 delivered. Got here in four days, but then I'm just one state away.

I bought it purely for fun, and because Graham had one. Haven't found anybody yet who wasn't impressed by it, though few realize that green is still relatively rare.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's mine:

#1 - ER17 from The Laser Guy - US$250 at the time (now $175..). Fast shipping, pretty good service. Nice laser, basically same one as BTG-1 from Z-Bolt. Got this one because I like lasers, and after reading about Craigs green one, I had to get one..

#2 - BTG-2 from Z-Bolt - US$219. Again, fast shipping, good service. This one is noticably brighter than the BTG-1, when comparing the 2 at night, the BTG-2 spot is considerably brighter, and beam is more(!) visible. Got this one because I was curious how much brighter it would be and figured it couldn't hurt to have a spare..

#3 - BTG-1 from Z-Bolt. US$169. Basically same laser as #1. Got this one because...um...ok, no reason. I was ordering one for a friend, and since it was $10 off for 2 or more, thought I might as well get another, 'just in case'...

Graham

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OrBy:
Ok - Its time to fess up people.

If ya got a greenie please post the following:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What model you got? GP5 and GLP-4

Where ya got it from? GP5 from Trash, GLP-4 from a CPF member.

How much did it come to in cost? GP5 $240, GLP-4 $155

The reason ya got it? Always wanted one.

Any problems you have has it? Power output on GP5 suddenly jumped from 4.6mW to 11.6mW for no apparent reason.

Any issues you had with the dealer you got it from? None. Shipped promptly, packaged correctly.

Any thing you would like to add? Yeah... please don't shoot airplanes or random people with them, or you may end up in your very own little room with your very own suicide resistant toilet in it. Or worse, a bullet to the brain if you happen to shoot somebody who's packing.
tongue.gif

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The LED Museum:
Any problems you have has it? Power output on GP5 suddenly jumped from 4.6mW to 11.6mW for no apparent reason.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm. If there was ever an occasion to say 'its not a problem, its a feature', that must be it. 11.6mW! Wow...

Any idea how/why?

Graham

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Craig:

what who makes/model of the device you use to measure laser power? Thanks, I've been looking for one.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jason:
Craig:

what who makes/model of the device you use to measure laser power? Thanks, I've been looking for one.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used nothing more than an amorphous type silicon solar cell (not the dark blue "fractured look" polycrystalline type), a common DMM, and a set of mathematical equasions to obtain the power reading.

Some recommend you butt the laser aperture directly against the detector; while others recommend you fire at it from a foot or two away. I found very little difference between the two.

I'll post the equasions I used as soon as I can find them again.

JollyRoger

Enlightened

Anyone interested in a group buy of the BTG 1 or 2?

I might see if there is interest in this and try to get a group buy together after the Free Light group buy is over...

It would only make sense if I could get enough people together on this...(I've already received some emails expressing interest.)

tygger

Enlightened

i'm for a group buy. checked out the sites and i've decided having a green laser is as essential as food. well, not quite, but really really close.

OrBy

Newly Enlightened

I have noticed somthing strange with mine as of late - you click it on and it comes on dimmer then BAM it goes full tilt - anyone else notice this?

Craig - waiting on thoes numbers - I wanna see what this thing is pushing.

I make sure I never pick people or other stuff off with that but when ever some one else asks to see it - the 1st thing they do is start trying to pick other people off!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OrBy:

Craig - waiting on thoes numbers - I wanna see what this thing is pushing.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nobody asked me for numbers, so how can anyone be "waiting" for them? But if you want to see them, just look on my laser page. http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/laser.htm

Darell

Flashaholic

I make sure I never pick people or other stuff off with that but when ever some one else asks to see it - the 1st thing they do is start trying to pick other people off!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I know exactly what you mean, and it is why I don't let the kids even hold it. Even the adults have to be reminded constantly. We go out in the back yard, and they (adults, mind you)immediately start flashing it all over the neighbor's house (across the windows, etc). Talk about freaking somebody out when they're watching TV or something! Don't know what gets into people....

OrBy

Newly Enlightened

Craig: By "thoes numbers" I meant the "mathematical equasions" you spoke of in your post. I am sorry if i was unclear with my post.

Darell

Flashaholic

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aragorn:
the straight story - darell made me get it and i dont regret buying it!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, I'm glad to hear I've had at least a small positive influence on your life.
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
you all know what i do with it and i wont risk my neck repeating it
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually, the main point here is not to just stop talking about those particular activities, but to actually stop doing them before lasers are outlawed.

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall

the straight story - darell made me get it and i dont regret buying it!

you all know what i do with it and i wont risk my neck repeating it
shocked.gif
rolleyes.gif

problems- not really - the button developed problems that every laser gets - push the button and it dont always come on- fix that by cuting the clip from a bic stic and shoveing it under the board- it works like a charm then

WARNING: arrange to call me before you try this and im not respocible

oh yeah have i told ya i LOVE this thing!!!!!

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Anyone familiar with Extreme Lasers? On their website, they claim that many/most green lasers on the market today work at much less than the advertised 5mW. Does anyone know if this is true? And does anyone have experience with purchasing from Extreme Lasers? Thank you for any input/replies.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flashfan:
Anyone familiar with Extreme Lasers? On their website, they claim that many/most green lasers on the market today work at much less than the advertised 5mW. Does anyone know if this is true? And does any one have experience with purchasing from Extreme Lasers? Thank you for any input/replies.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My first green purchase, a GP5 continuous wave, consistently measured 4.6 milliwatts. This is actually quite good for a "5mW laser pointer". But my second greenie, a GLP-4 pulsed version, averages 1.3 milliwatts, with per-pulse values around 2.5 milliwatts.

I honestly expect to see the majority of "5mW" laser pointers (both red and green) to consistently run at around 3mW average, with only some of them exceeding 4.5mW. This is a typical practise within the laser pointer industry.

LED-FX

Enlightened

For those that dont follow alt.lasers couple of interesting snippets:

Kris>I have emailed lightvision in Taiwan and they will sell this laser in
single quantities for $110 (+$20 shipping to the uk). I have seen this same
pointer advertised around $250!! It looks like the retailers are making a
killing on these lasers (especially paying $85 each in bulk) also DeHapport
sells these for $99 to dealers
http://www.lightvision.com.tw<<

Adam

yclo

Flashaholic*

Interesting, they have one that uses 2 N cells as well, a bit shorter @ 127mm. Compared to the 2 AAA one @ 148mm.

Could anyone guess/approximate what the runtimes will be?

They also have a distributor in Sydney, hmm..

About half way down this page there is a very nice photo of a green laser.

YC

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flashfan:
Anyone familiar with Extreme Lasers<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was more interested in checking out their blue laser - but wouldn't you know it, the page refuses to open. :-/