XWOH

yclo

Flashaholic*
And if such a beast did exist, I wonder if it would it be classified as a really bright Lux3 or a really low Vf LuxV.

-YC

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope. Best Luxeon V voltage bin I have ever heard of is an S-bin. Luxeon Vs are basically 4 x 1W LED cores (dies) arranged in a square 2x2 array - 2 cores in series, multiplied by two rows.

This means that you have to double a normal Luxeon 1's voltage, because two parallel rows of two dies each are arranged in series. Then you double the amperage (350mA to 700mA) to take care of the parallel rows. Amperage is no problem, we control that, but two Lux1 dies in series means a bare minimum of 6V at least, until they succeed in powering a single Lux1 off less than 1.5V and the MiniMiniMag users become ecstatic about being able to direct drive 'em /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You may be able to buy your way into some XW0S for the right price though....how much is right I would have no idea.

(added) PS: didn't see yclo's post. Given what I've said in two other posts, ZW0H Lux3s are possible - but that would involve triple the efficiency of energy-to-light conversion currently available. LumiLEDs says given 'em another decade to hatch it.

balrog

Enlightened
You are just moments too late. I just sold 10 of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif But seriously, they aren't available. I presume that you are talking about Luxeon IIIs, but even if you were talking about Luxeon Vs with that bin aren't available; the X is but not the H for the Vf rating. Some people have U binned Luxeon IIIs. I'm not sure if this was the bin assigned from Lumileds or from independent measurements but these are almost unobtanium right now. Maybe the next generation from lumileds might be the equivalent of an XW0H /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I sure hope so

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bring large suitcase stuffed with gold ingots or a few million bucks in cash, unmarked bills, go to LumiLEDs HQ and say you'd like to discuss something about an XW0S /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

idleprocess

Flashaholic
There are 20W parts at Lumileds. They're all handmade and only leave the premises for trade shows and the like.

I've also heard about a 100W part that's a drop-in incadescent bulb replacement.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I guess overly optimistic predictions are compounded by the fact that even existing Super Luxes are unobtainium for the likes of us. However, if we could form a CPF-wide buying collective and present Lumileds with a 6,000+ order..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brightnorm

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
They would probably show us to the door...

I get the impression the only clients they give a s**t about are the corporates with multimillion dollar standing accounts. The rest of us ordinary schmoes have to make do with whatever bins are left over.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
R is the lowest vF for a Luxeon V, though dreaming never hurt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sure a very small amount would be available.... to the elite few who spend 6-7 figure sums with LML. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

idleprocess

Flashaholic
If you're only specific about 1 type of binning {flux, tint, Vf}, express preference for another bin, and let the third bin float, I hear that Future can accomodate you for reel-sized orders.

Just don't ask for X-binned Lux Vs. Those just can't be had.

2dim

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
I guess overly optimistic predictions are compounded by the fact that even existing Super Luxes are unobtainium for the likes of us. However, if we could form a CPF-wide buying collective and present Lumileds with a 6,000+ order..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]

Buying collective! I so like the sound of that...

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
idleprocess said:
If you're only specific about 1 type of binning {flux, tint, Vf}, express preference for another bin, and let the third bin float, I hear that Future can accomodate you for reel-sized orders.

Just don't ask for X-binned Lux Vs. Those just can't be had.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never bought leds. Do you know how many there are in a reel and the approximate price?

Brightnorm

G Pilot

Enlightened
The best luxeon I have came across is an X3T. It does not have a permanent home yet. It is residing in a Mr. Bulk Nexneedle, direct drive off of 3x123's.

It is the middle one. Left is an original Super light BB750 X4T. Right is a Mega X, built by Kevin (Lambda). It has an X3V side emitter direct drive off of 6 nimh.

p1010076.jpg

jtr1962

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
balrog said:
Some people have U binned Luxeon IIIs. I'm not sure if this was the bin assigned from Lumileds or from independent measurements but these are almost unobtanium right now. Maybe the next generation from lumileds might be the equivalent of an XW0H /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I sure hope so

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe not X bin, but I'd say by this time next year U bin LIIIs will be the norm, and you might hear of the occasional V bin. X bin LIIIs will probably be the usual within 3 or 4 years, hopefully sooner. Remember that Lumileds and Nichia are sharing technology, and Nichia is due to start producing 60 lm/W 5mm LEDs next year. An X bin LIII would have an efficiency somewhat greater than that (actually 80.2 lm/W minimum going by the typical Vf of 3.42V @ 700 mA).

BTW, a Z bin would have an output range from 324 to 422 lumens. This should cover any possible LIII for quite a while (the high end of that represents a 176 lm/W efficiency, which we won't reach for at least a decade). We'll probably need a revised binning system once Lumileds starts mass producing 10 and 20 watt LEDs. A 20W, even at current efficiencies, will be well past the Z bin.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
I've never bought leds. Do you know how many there are in a reel and the approximate price?

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh... Looking at a data sheet, reels have 6m of emitters @ 12mm centers - 500 emitters.

I'd expect to pay somewhat less per-emitter at reel quantities than you would for small orders of emitters.

Stars are a different story - they arrive in "sheets" with intermediate strips of MCPCB connecting them. I think the sheets get as large as 16 per, maybe even 32 per.

Future might even be able to get you somewhat close to your desired bin for smaller orders - just call and ask.

As far as price... I think Future is just under $10 for 1W parts, a bit under $15 for 3W parts, and a bit below $40 for 5W "portables."

Anyone ever considered making a concise Luxeon reference?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Thoughts on group buys: Every luxeon group buy I've seen here is fraught with disagreement on binning. Everyone has divergent priorities. Most want higher brightness bins, but opinion is usually split on Vf and tint.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Are the "portables" the ones with long life or are they the 500hr ones?

Thanks for the information.

BN