Inova X1 green discontinued!!

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my white X1 a lot. It has a perfectly clear white spot which is easily visible. Then I ordered the brilliant green version to make my stoner friends happy but was dissapointed by the 'spot image'. The rings and such are very visible, unlike what you see with the white led. I'm still going to have fun with it, but I was hoping it would be cooler than my white x1.

Does anyone else have the same impression? Does the blue led have the same effect? Anyone have a red X1?
--------------------
x1 poll

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: Inova X1 brilliant green questions

All of the nonphosphor (colored) LED Inova X1s will probably have a similar ring pattern to the one you saw in your green Inova X1.

flash99dark

Newly Enlightened

I also would love to have several led lights green, red, aqua, etc.,. without the ring problem. What would the LED Museum suggest? I notice this question surfaces a lot. It seems that you recently tested a drop in Diamond brand maglite mod. (my terminololy my be off so please excuse the newbie) Have you tested any colours other than white from them?
Thanx ahead for any advice

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I've only tested the white LED Diamond drop-in for the Mag-Lite as of this date. So I can't be of very much assistance in this department, sorry about that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's a shot (on my knobbly fridge door) that I did from another post awhile back of a blue Inova X1 and a green one along with a Streamlight Stylus with the beam attachment and a green PALight eLight. You can see the relative degree of ringiness pretty well. It's a "feature" of those color LEDs.

Here's the line-up (as best I recall):

Streamlight Stylus, green X1, blue X1, green PALight eLight.

inovabeams_006.sized.jpg

jbfla

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
greenlight said:
I use my white X1 alot. It has a perfectly clear white spot which is easily visible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope this isn't considered a "highjack"....but since you use your X1 a lot, what do you use it for?

I also have an X1, but for the life of me cannot figure what to do with a small perfect "spot" with virtually no "spill".

BTW my green AAA Arc has the rings too, a characteristic of all colored LEDs so I'm told.

JB

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks flash:

Actually, I don't care so much about the inside of a flashlight's beam. I'm more interested in how it looks from the outside, and my green X1 and my green eLight are both real nice little mini-flamethrowers out away from the city lights. The blue X1 also has a great readily visible "pencil" beam. That's what the X1's are good at, IMHO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

idleprocess

Flashaholic

The X1 seems like it should be standard equipment for all sorts of spies - zero spill means that it's very inconspicuous and unlikely to attract attention. It's also a good inspection light for looking at tiny things up-close. I hear it's also a dandy spotlight...

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use my x1 at work to point out stuff to other people. In the dark I can clearly point to stuff and it's obvious what I'm pointing to. It's my favorite right now for work, but I need an edc that is awesome- don't have an arc. I wish Inova made a more powerful x1 of one with no clikie.

Perfectionist

Enlightened

Quick newbie question !

When shining your X1 about 4 inches away - do you see 2 lines across the diameter of the hotspot ?

Is that an artifact from the LED or do I have a dodgy X1 !!

Azreal911

Enlightened

the two lines are the wires going to the die. it happens with most light using a magnifying lens. my UK eLed 2aaa does the same thing. only diff with mine it was side spill cause of my clear bezel.

TimB

Newly Enlightened

I've also read many posts from folks saying they don't find the X1 useful due to the limitations of its beam profile.

Personally, I like the X1 for looking at thigs close up, and for putting out a useable light at slightly greater distances that is not so bright it completely destroys my night vision. I'm so fond of the X1 that I found a place for it on my duty belt at work. It isn't a replacement for the SL20 or Stinger, but it complements them nicely.

-Tim

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

The focal point of the x1 is about 4". What you see is a projection of the led. Lots of other lights do the same thing- especially ones with lenses.

Perfectionist

Enlightened

Thanks for the info !!

Saw a post about modding the X1 - has anybody else done anything to give them a bit more juice ?

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Latest news:

Inova has discontinued the green led version of the inova X1. This may not be new news, but it was to me, so I am going to buy a few before they are all gone. I guess they weren't selling well. This was confirmed via email with Inova (The X1 GT and GB are in fact being phased out. We will no longer offer the
X1 in green after we have exhausted our inventory).

The black and silver ano was confirmed as HA "The Discovery Colors are specific to Discovery. The Blue, Red and Orange colors are Type II vs Type III Anodizing."

That's all.