Deciding between a HDS Ultimate and a LionHeart...

sithjedi333

Enlightened
Re: Deciding between a HDS Ultimate and a LionHear

HDS, because it's regulated and you can use either a rechargeable or regular lithium battery. Plus, HDS plans to come out with a variety of battery packs, which makes it much more versatile.

MicroE

Enlightened

I just made the same decision.
I placed an order for the HDS Ultimate.

BTW, what will HDS call their next generation light after the EDC Ultimate?
The HDS SuperDuperBetterThanUltimate EDC?
---Marc

Catman10

Enlightened

I chose the Lionheart because I think it'll be brighter and have better throw...

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

My LionHeart should be in my hands within 2 weeks.

I wouldn't venture a guess as to when a pre-ordered HDS Ultimate would arrive. I've been periodically checking their website since last April, which was the first I'd ever heard of them. I watched the promised "late summer" delivery of pre-ordered Ultimates come and go.

I had planned on buying one of the Arc4 lights, but cooled on it after seeing others running into problems with it. I just read here that HDS says they designed the Arc4 and their Ultimate certainly sounds like it shares lineage with the Arc4. I guess I'm wary that it might have problems like the Arc4 did. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Like others, I want to wait and see what the "scouts" report on it once it's in the user's arena.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

lh for sure why is cause chalie is a flashoholic like us he loves lights also he has lots of skill.and the lh will be the brightest smallest light out

javafool

Enlightened

My experience with Mr Bulk lights is that they are in a league of their own. Bright, white, effecient, and did I mention bright! No problem making that decision here.

Two LionHearts on order.

oldtimer

Enlightened

Sigh. Looks like it's an even split so far!

oldtimer

Enlightened

But I recall the Henry saying something about the Ultimate being possibly 70+ Lumens.. considering the fact that for the light to meet requirements, it has to be at least 60 Lumens.

Are you sure the LionHeart is unregulated?

raggie33

*the raggedier*

trust me the lionheart will out throw anything hds offers

fleegs

Enlightened

I am glad I do not have to decide. I got both. If I had to pick one...it would be the Lionheart. MrBulk is a great guy and well established. The Lionheart may not be available in the future (MrBulk may be onto something else) but HDS products should be around for awhile (I would have said forever but after Arc, anything is possible).

Features, I think Lionheart would win. It has two modes of operation. Simple and more tactical. That I love. And keep in mind the Lionheart works on rechargables but can work on a 123A in an emergency (assuming you have Al foil).

Good luck. Hope this helps.

fleegs

oldtimer

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
fleegs said:
I am glad I do not have to decide. I got both. If I had to pick one...it would be the Lionheart. MrBulk is a great guy and well established. The Lionheart may not be available in the future (MrBulk may be onto something else) but HDS products should be around for awhile (I would have said forever but after Arc, anything is possible).

Features, I think Lionheart would win. It has two modes of operation. Simple and more tactical. That I love. And keep in mind the Lionheart works on rechargables but can work on a 123A in an emergency (assuming you have Al foil).

Good luck. Hope this helps.

fleegs

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the Ultimate works on both rechargeable and plain o' regular cells without the use of an adapter. Lookswise, I think LH has the advantage unless HDS changes the design.. but as an EDC, I think the Ultimate would be a little better.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like the shape of the Ultimate myself. I can wait till its ready. I have a couple of lights that will tide me thru till they are done...

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

My Lights

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Lionheart has a proven designer in Mr. Bulk. And Charlier builds great, great lights. HDS is still unknown. I'd buy, and have, a light from Charlie just on his word. I have no experience with Henry.

Josey

MY

Enlightened

I have had many Mr. Bulk lights and his reputation proceeds him. I do not think that I have ever read anything negative about Mr. Bulk - he delivers. HDS on the other hand is not a proven product. Sure, long ago the Action Light was produced in limit quantities but that was in another time and age.

Personnally I do not think that either light is small enough to be a good EDC given that smaller lights like the firefly exist.

I have a lionheart on order. I do not think that my ARC4+ driven with R123s would be significantly dimmer than the Ultimate to justify its purchase.

Regards.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

FF is a decent EDC if you stick with the one stage switch. The two stage switch is not robust enough for frequent use IMO. Don't get me wrong, it's a great feature, but I plan on my FFv2w/2stage to be my backup light, not primary.

-john

oldtimer

Enlightened

Well a lot of people EDC the Arc4+ and it's the same size as the Ultimate. The LH looks to be quite a bit bigger (and thicker) than the Ultimate.

Ideally, the perfect EDC would be ~ the size of an AA Li14430?! but it's hard to find one of those around.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

the lh is very close in size to the arc4.in my opion it will be more comfortable in youre hand, specaily cause a switch place ment

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

I too am waiting to see what the jury says about the EDC Ultimate. As far as the 70 lumen version it will be like the Arc4X...few and far between....as stated by henry himself.

I am looking forward to the LH and will hold out on the Ultimate until further review.

Curtis