What laser ?

Woodsie

Newly Enlightened
Hey you guyz,
Im rather new to all this but have been reading alot of things on this forum, i have contacted Arnold and i am in talks with him,
I do not know whether to get a 5 mW laser or a 17-18 mW laser,
I know there is alot of difference, but i need t see the beam ( will be used for astronomy purposes ) I live in the UK so the humidity isnt as good and some places in the US.
What will be the minimum mW that the whole beam will be visible ?
Thanks for any advice
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/knight.gif

Myx

Newly Enlightened
Here in UK, I get a nice clear beam with a 10.9mW - but dont expect a wide viewing range with that power. Standing under/around the laser is fine though - you get a nice clear beam as far as the eye can see /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

shadow_of_chaos

Newly Enlightened
or you could go with wicked lasers 45mw, beam visible from any angle in darkness.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

aussielextsy

Newly Enlightened
hi woodsie

here is my 2c worth.

abe will do an 18er for 155 plus 21 delivery compared to 79 for a 5er. now if your gona use it a fair bit i would reccomend spending the bit extra as money comes and goes so you might as well invest as much as u can and be happy the first time.

Woodsie

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the replies so far,
i think i will go for the 18mW as it isnt much dearer then the 10mW, so as the above post said, i might aswell pay more and be happy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

SunSlinger

Newly Enlightened
My 11.4 from Arnold works Great for astronomy. The beam is clearly visible to myself & those in the immediate area, after sundown. I live in Colorado. We have very low humidity most of the time. You should have no trouble seeing the beam of one of those.

SKYWLKR

Enlightened
My 5mw from Adale Sp? works perfect for astronomy.

plenty bright and reaches out just fine.even under a bit of light polution.

I am in south La. so the humidity is normally fairly high so that helps alot. but still works great at very low humidity levels.

I use it as a pointer and as a finder for the dob and I can mount it to my goto ETX and use it to GOTO'ing for my Dob.