New SF photos of LS M2 head

Gandalf

Enlightened
It looks nice, but very, very expensive. While no doubt it will be shock resistant, and water resistant, due to that really expensive casing; it's still just a Luxeon Star LED. What can it do that a Lambda Illuminator, at 1/3 the cost (most likely..) can't do? Longer run time, from the 123's...anything else?

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reportedly, all of the new SF digital lights are regulated and have a perfectly flat output. Note: this is what is advertised and has not been confirmed by independent testers.

APW

Newly Enlightened
Any news of any release date
confused.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Is it me, or does that LS look a little yellow?

P3

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by APW:
Any news of any release date
confused.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When are ANY of the new products advertised in the Surefire 2002 catelog going to be released? I agree with Gandalf, lots of expensive overkill (a shock isolated bezel for an LED?) for a 15 lumen light unless Surefire has something up it's sleeve.

ToddM

Enlightened
While it may use the shock isolated bezel of the M2 I doubt it actually uses the shock isolation. My guess is they needed the larger head for the regulator, and also increased heat dispersion.

Also as with prototypes it's probably easier to CNC out a design that's already being done (the M2 bezel).

As for a delivery date....who knows. Surefire is known for releasing products way after their stated dates if at all. There evidentally is no X81 lamp now, I think I've seen 10 different times the LOLA for the E2 was supposed to come out, etc. I think most of the stuff was supposed to be out for "sure" by summer and well I consider june summer and no word on release of any of the new models really.

It's kind of a double edged sword, it's neat to see all the proto stuff and upcoming release dates and stuff, but many times it just serves as a tease.

As for price.....I shudder to think. If the plain M2 runs $125-135 online now, you can bet the LED regulated version will be more expensive. I myself look forward more to seeing the 5watt integrated into some designs. I won't pay say ~$150 for a 1 watt version in a M2 body. However I'm not that big of a LED freak I think of them more as a lower power, long runtime, nice compliment to the brighter lights.

Neat idea and the LEDs will certainly come into production in high end stuff with a lot of light (130 lumens is impressive for a 5 watt LED). However I won't hold my breath
smile.gif

Todd

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with you here too, Todd. How many people are going to pay ~$150 or more for a 15 lumen LED light regardless of regulation or not? Likewise the $160 asking price for the Arc LS. However that isn't slated for release until November so I think Gransee has a few tricks up his sleeve before that hits the market again. Now $150 for a 100 lumen led light is certainly justifiable in my mind.

DonL

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rlhess:
One of those for the E2e would be awesome!

Cheers,

Richard
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's one to be released later this year, the KL1, designed to work with all of the E-series lights.
DSCN3343.JPG

Here's another prototype for the C2/M2.
DSCN1989.JPG

And a "family portrait".
DSCN3376.JPG

Keep in mind, please, that these photos were taken from PK Engineering prototype gallery. Some items truly are scheduled for production and release, while others will be back-shelved. In addition, those decisions may change on a weekly or daily basis.

Agreed, though, on the LS M2 head. It's my understanding that some of the digital and LED lamp assemblies are specific to their respective lights. So, even if you already own an M2, you couldn't just buy the LS bezel and screw it on.

On the other hand, the LED cluster head for the M3, and the KL heads are intended as drop-in replacement.

I'll consider the KL1 for my E2 or E1e, but that'll probably be about it. There are alot of LED flashlights out there that are just as servicable (for an LED light's intended purpose) and much less expensive than where the SF stuff will most likely be priced.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is Paul Kim aware of the 5W LS?

Yes, yes he is.

At a lighting exhibition in Frankfurt a couple months ago, SureFire had a rough prototype light using the 5 watt Star. According to my friend James who went there, it was "Maglite sized" got very hot and dimmed quickly, after only a few minutes. The dimming was almost certainly due to the rapid rise in die temperature. No photographs were taken, none that I know of anyway.

As it was almost certainly a quickly assembled one-off prototype and not SureFire`s usual proto quality, this is not of too much a concern to me at this time. It`s good to know that not only are they aware of themn, but they are experimenting with them too. I expect we will see a 5 watt LED SureFire sometime in the distant future. After all they are used to dealing with short runtimes and large amounts of heat (M4/500 lumen lamp for example!) so they are definately capable of designing a suitable housing to sink away all that heat.

shocked.gif
grin.gif