any one still using their Tektite Exp. 300?

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
I am considering it and wanted to know if you owners have drawered yours?

Good buy? why/ why not?
brightness?
any help appreciated

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Geoff in Philly:
I am considering it and wanted to know if you owners have drawered yours?

Good buy? why/ why not?
brightness?
any help appreciated
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Geoff,

If that's the 3C 7LED light that was originally called "THE EXPEDITION" then I can tell you that it's an excellent, bright, tough, waterproof,longlasting light. However, I much prefer the 1400 which is much brighter but still maintains a long burntime. It is the identical flashlight but with a 14 LED module instead of a 7 LED module. They're easily swappable and I think you can get the modules separately.

Lightwave makes two flashlights that directly compete with these lights; the 3000 and 4000. They are excellent lights that have a pushbutton on/off rather than twist on/off. They are well made but not as waterproof as the Treks, and although initially dimmer than the Treks, they burn longer brighter. Personally I don't care for their overly blue light ("white" LEDS), and since even the 3000 is significantly bigger and heavier than the Treks, I much rather carry the 1400 for use up to 7-8 hours steady burn. And no, I have not permanently consigned my 1400 to a drawer; I still use it when appropriate. Treks also have an unusually comfortable adjustable lanyard which is covered with rubbr tubing and should be standard for many other full size lights.

There are smaller very bright LED lights like the Inova X5, and the various Luxeon models including Lambda's creations and the still elusive ARC LS and others, but for very bright, LONG burning light 3C and 3D units are still necessary. This is why IMO, the most important goal in LED development should be efficiency rather than brightness. With the soon to arrive 5 watters designers have proved that LED's can compete with incandescents in the lumen sweepstakes. Now it's time to tackle the efficiency side of the problem. I've used all four of these lights and you really can't go wrong with any of them. Check out Craig's and Brock's sites (and others) for detailed reviews.

Brightnorm

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
thanks for the scoop. I was asking about the 3c 7 led version.

I am lucky enuff to have a Lambda LI, and Elektrolumens single LS 3c/2d blaster. I dont know if I really want the X5, b/c my opalec mod suits that "level" of need (oh yeah, need, great word choice
smile.gif
).

I was looking for a bright, rugged, waterproof light to go on a trip I am taking later this summer that will involve boating and camping. I also wanted a kick-a$$ knock around light for home use.

You've gotten 7-8 hours of full brightness with the 1400? that's not too shabby. I guess it would be somewhat equivalent to my Blaster in brightness, only h20 proof. I believe the Blaster is good to about 20 hours at full...I think

EDIT the 1400 is $120...holy moley, that might dissuade me right there

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are reviews of it on the Light site, the LED Museum, Brock`s LED site and my Torch Reviews Site. I believe Dan Rutter also has it in one if his comparison/reviews, and Doug Ritter mentions it on Equipped-to-Suurvive I think too.

Nice torch, very well made and extremely tough, but I will admit I don`t use it that frequently. I find the click on/off switch of the Lightwave-4000 or my Energizer-"DB18" (I bought from Ebay last year) more convenient than the stiff twist-on head, so I tend to grab those off the windowsill (actually the DB18 lives in the tool box because the flat profile of the body takes up less space). But it does get used, usually when I need light for a long time. Still using the batteries I got with it, and still quite bright- it`s an economical thing even if it isn`t regulated. If decent alkaline C-cells didn`t cost so much over here I`d do a burntime test on it- but as things, are I`m waiting for a bargain first.

The one that C-Crane sells as "CC-Expedition" apparently has only one o-ring, unlike the 2 o-rings of the Expedition-300 straight from Tektite, and the head gets easier to turn with just one o-ring, while remaining perfectly waterproof for all but the deepest diving expeditions. It`s a bit cheaper too.

The beam is a flawless soft medium flood, and a nice white colour too with hardly any tint of purple, blue or green. Bright enough for most close to medium tasks, but it doesn`t throw very far.

For my full review, see http://torchreviews.tripod.com in the LED section. and don`t forget the others too
wink.gif

grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I agree with Chris. When I'm working on something here, such as a major wheelchair repair, I'll just grab one of the Expeditions (before I got the aluminum models, I reached for the 300 most often), turn it on, and simply let it burn while I work. Pick it up, throw it down, pick it up, throw it down, never turning it off until the job is finished. They burn long enough on a set of batteries that I don't feel guilty about leaving them on for long periods of time.

Because of the location, size, and orientation of my window and the lack of a place to set up a decent work lamp (for wheelchair repairs, etc.) it's "flashlight-dark" in here even at 2 in the afternoon. As a result, I use flashlights in this house without regard to the time of day.

The Expedition lights are very good IMO at handling this mild to moderate type of abuse; though you should try not to throw them face-first from any significant height or you might crush the batteries; plus they're completely waterproof and submersible which makes them great for the boat.

Recommend.

Brock

Flashaholic
I have mine set right inside the Attic crawlspace. Yes I have lights in there, but this light is GREAT for setting down and lighting up a box full of junk. I have taken it diving in the past now I carry the 14 LED version. But both are truly waterproof.

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
Craig and Brock and all, thanks...
Craig, do you use the 7, 14 or 19?
Brock, how is the 14 to dive with?
Considering the horizon, would you spend$120 on a 3c 14 led?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Geoff in Philly:
Craig and Brock and all, thanks...
Craig, do you use the 7, 14 or 19?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Normally, I use whatever my hand touches first. Right now though, I'm purposefully reaching for the "new style" 300 and the three aluminum models (two 19-LED models and a 4-LED model) because they're still in the latter part of their testing phase.

FYI the "new style" Expedition models have a Fresnel optic inside (this can be ordered seperately as a retrofit), and the PCB & reflector are essentially a one-piece unit - no more having the LEDs getting whacked by the catalyst pellet receptacle.
smile.gif