Commercial Spaceflight

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Virgin are licensing SpaceShipOne technology to send paying passengers into space. I understand advanced tickets are being sold at £110,000 , which was apparantly cheap enough to interest a few hundred people who've signed up.

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
K,
Why not.

Face it 'adventure' is not what it used to be. We live in a plastic wrapped pre packaged world. We have become a risk adverse culture.

Not everybody feels that visiting Disney world is the height of excitment.

Not everybody who went on Safari came back. That made the experience thrilling.

Not everybody go climbs Mt. Everest lives to tell the tale.

Now a days very few people are killed at 'adventure parks', the word has lost much of it's punch. We have safety engineers to make the illusion of danger. We have movies, that allow us to enjoy the impossible.

We dont' risk all anymore for personal honor and ability.

(If I keep up on this thread, Im going to have to buy former president Teddy R's bio)

This is one more way of expressing individuality. Loud car stereos, disco dancing, fast cars, big guns, ect. Most of them are reasons to pretend toughness. It's meaningless unless there is risk involved.

Then again so is my tour here in Iraq as a contractor. An adventure with no shure ending. So far so good. Only one mortar attack.

So, would I take such a flight. I might, but I don't want to work here another two years to afford the fare.

Hope this finds you well.

Jack Crow in Iraq
Down to 39 Days and counting each milisecond!

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
with a modern us military protecting you
I think your risk is minimal and worth the money you are earning.
where do I sign up ?
some one building a high rise is in more danger in my opinion.

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
MarkDi
Check your PM,
You want a job here, I going to send you the same job hunt tips I give to troopers here.

For what it's worth, One of the three rounds landed five tents away from where I was sleeping.

Other bases get shot at every day, this one is rather quiet, but all it take is one.

What I do is watch a satcom terminal at what is a military truck stop. If you do a search for the name Scania, skip the euro truck company and look for the US Army base. Much of the information on Global Security is old but it will do for the moment.
Later dudes
Jack Crow in Iraq

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me bring this thread back on topic by suggesting that I have learned exactly what those people renting out the spots are going to get up to!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon11.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/paypal.gif

I don't think the link needs any warnings attached. It's suggestive, but only mildly so. It's my opinion that if you're really offended by that link that you should get out more.

EDIT: but as cartoon babes go, they draw them pretty HOT! LOL