1274 vs 1185

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am temporarily limited to 8-cells for these bulbs. I did some rerates at the Welch Allyn site. This is what I came up with:

1185 - 9.6V - 3.15A - 816 lumens - 50hr life
(This is the best I can do with 8 cells)

1274 - 8.4V - 2.8A - 948 lumens - 6.3hr life (yuk)
(This is over-driven by 1.2V using 7 cells)

Am I right to assume that the 1274 will outperform the 1185 in my 8AA to 2D m*glite?

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing that an over-driven 1274 will be much more impressive than an under-driven 1185.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
The re-rating formulas are less and less reliable the further you get from the known ratings. When you start to go below a life (re-rated) or 10 hours, WATCH OUT! You've definitely got the chance of instaflashing.

If the 1274 will take the overdrive, you'll be happier going this route, because it will be whiter, more pleasing light, even towards the end of the run. The only way to tell is to start testing it in this configuration.

udaman

Banned
Hehehe, js /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

You still afraid of overdriving? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7.2v bulb after resistance loses (I'm working on pictorial on cleaning the M*g contacts) including that Willie Hunt/Skip Langan adapter, near 3a load from the bulb, start up voltage is probably not very much of an overdrive.

Now if you use high-current cells like the new CBP1650ma, then maybe...only one way to find out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

CBP1650ma AA NiMH discharge graphs in post #745791

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
js said:
The re-rating formulas are less and less reliable the further you get from the known ratings. When you start to go below a life (re-rated) or 10 hours, WATCH OUT! You've definitely got the chance of instaflashing.

If the 1274 will take the overdrive, you'll be happier going this route, because it will be whiter, more pleasing light, even towards the end of the run. The only way to tell is to start testing it in this configuration.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything that Jim said. The WA01274 will be much more impressive.

Wilkey